Gibson Brands Forums

Slashtone with a Squier Strat

Shnate McDuanus

Hey Gibson Forum,

Slash is my favorite guitarest ever and I really love his tone. I want to sound like him but I couldn't get a Gibson Les Paul like the one he played on Appetite for Destruction. All I could get my hands on is a Squier Strat.

Can I get Slash's tone with this? What else do I need to sound like Slash?

Hey Gibson Forum,

Slash is my favorite guitarest ever and I really love his tone. I want to sound like him but I couldn't get a Gibson Les Paul like the one he played on Appetite for Destruction. All I could get my hands on is a Squier Strat.

Can I get Slash's tone with this? What else do I need to sound like Slash?

First, you need to spell it the Craigslist way of Squire.

and your Squire will work as long as you buy all of his other signature gear.

Oh, and the top hat! That, and smoking and drugs will do wonders for you

Welcome aboard mate! [thumbup]

Welcome NEW member XDemonknight !!!!!!! Slashtone is soooooo hard to get !!!!!!!! NO ONE EVER has been able to replicate it !!!!!!!!!

Give up now and learn drums, it's your only hope !!!!!!!

Welcome.

Dont bag on Squire. Everyone has to start somewhere. Slash has a pretty powerful neck pickup inspired by the original Gibson PAF humbuckers from the late 1950s. Put your Stratocaster in the 2 position with both the neck and middle pups. Not much you can do about sustain, but leave the gain at about 60% on your amp, and back off the tone a little bit on your guitar. Dont get hung up on finding somebody's sound. Start by finding good sound with what you have to work with.

Welcome.

Dont bag on Squire. Everyone has to start somewhere. Slash has a pretty powerful neck pickup inspired by the original Gibson PAF humbuckers from the late 1950s. Put your Stratocaster in the 2 position with both the neck and middle pups. Not much you can do about sustain, but leave the gain at about 60% on your amp, and back off the tone a little bit on your guitar. Dont get hung up on finding somebody's sound. Start by finding good sound with what you have to work with.

BUT I WANT SL00SHT00NE!!!!!!11111oneoneoneoneonethousandonehundredandeleven

SQUIER SUCKS!!!

Not really, but I had you goin, didn't I? ;)

I have had their guitars, never really cared for them. Basses are really good for the money. Know a ton of people who use them live because if something happens, 230 bucks later, they got a whole brand new bass. Throw in a great set up and less than 300 bucks they got a good bass

Sorry. I know you hate Slashtone threads because you secretly love Slash tone, but there is no need to bag on Squire, too.

I don't hate Slashtone threads and I don't "secretly love Slash tone." I think Slash's tone is very nice, for sure, but that's what you get when you play a neck-position humbucker through an overdriven Marshall. I openly appreciate Slash's tone. I was just joking.

I'm not bagging on Squier (and yes, that is how the brand name is spelled.) I'm not bagging on anything, man.

I have a Squire bass. After playing it a while I can't think of any reason to buy a MIM Fender.... or a U.S. one for that matter.

I (pretty much) agree.

I have a Squier Tele 'Blackguard' and, whilst I can think of a few areas where the USA made stuff is undeniably 'better', sonically-speaking the Squier still manages to do everything I could reasonably ask from a Tele.

P.

I have a Squire bass. After playing it a while I can't think of any reason to buy a MIM Fender...

I have a Limited edition ash MIM Tele, blew every Squier in the shop out of the water, even the much-hyped Classic Vibes. If you didn't see the Made in Mexico on the back of the headstock, you'd swear it was a natural finish American Standard.

Fender U.S.A. , Fender MIM, Squire, I've owned all of them at one point or another. I still have an American Tele and an old P-bass and I have never owned a Fender product that was better than my 5 string Squire Jazz Bass.

Archived