Gibson Brands Forums

your 1st ever guitar!!

barton8367

Ive had a very productive day, I was clearing through the spare room when i found my 1st ever guitar in a box buried under old magazines. ive got it out give it some TLC, new strings, oiled the fretboard and give the old girl a good clean up.

The guitar in question is a Yamaha C-40 classical guitar that I am now going to use as a guitar to practice my finger-picking!

Got my to thinking, what was people first ever guitars?! and have you still got them?!

Ive had a very productive day, I was clearing through the spare room when i found my 1st ever guitar in a box buried under old magazines. ive got it out give it some TLC, new strings, oiled the fretboard and give the old girl a good clean up.

The guitar in question is a Yamaha C-40 classical guitar that I am now going to use as a guitar to practice my finger-picking!

Got my to thinking, what was people first ever guitars?! and have you still got them?!

My first was a 1964 Martin 00-18, I paid $225.00! I owned it till 2000 when I had to sell it and my '68 Strat because of medical bills....man I miss those guitars...

My first was a 1964 Martin 00-18, I paid $225.00! I owned it till 2000 when I had to sell it and my '68 Strat because of medical bills....man I miss those guitars...

that martin is a beautiful guitar, bet it sounded amazing!

Guest FarnsBarns

Mine was my mother's hand made, half size classical. It was a present from my father on their wedding day. It has a little plaque on the back of the neck that says 14th of June 1964. It was made to order by a luthier in Reigate. It's actually quite nice.

I used to steal time on my brother's Strat knock-off (back in the 60s). After getting caught, I saved up some money and popped for a dime store Stella. It was kinda brutal action wise and at the time I had very little guitar mechanics knowledge. Next time around I saved up more money, sold the Stella and bought an Epi 12 which had very low action for a 12. I was happy. Next purchase - a 65 Melody Maker - and I was hooked on Gibsons.

Mid 60s Stella - looked cool, brutal to play (I had this H931 model, but the pic isn't of my guitar)-

Stella H931.jpg

71 Epi FT-165 - played great -

1972 Epiphone FT165.jpg

65 Gibson MM - I was hooked (I modded it years ago and still have it) -

65MelodyMaker1a.jpg

Mine was my mother's hand made, half size classical. It was a present from my father on their wedding day. It has a little plaque on the back of the neck that says 14th of June 1964. It was made to order by a luthier in Reigate. It's actually quite nice.

have you any pictures? would love to see something like that!

Guest FarnsBarns

I'll take some. It's in my man cave in its original soft case.

First ever, guitar of any sort, was identical to this one: (Except it had "Truetone" on the headstock...But, was made by "Stella".)

H1141_Stella_05-1.jpg

(No, I don't still have it. Wish I did, for sentimental reasons, only. The action was brutal! LOL)

My First ever "electric guitar" was this one:

DSC_0022.jpg

(Yes, I do still have this one! 1964 Fender "L" series Strat)

First ever, guitar of any sort, was identical to this one: (Except it had "Truetone" on the headstock...But, was made by "Stella".)

H1141_Stella_05-1.jpg

(No, I don't still have it. Wish I did, for sentimental reasons, only. The action was brutal! LOL)

My First ever "electric guitar" was this one:

DSC_0022.jpg

(Yes, I do still have this one! 1964 Fender "L" series Strat)

that strat is a nice guitar!!! ive been going off strats recently but that is a gorgeous early series, would very much like one!

Guest FarnsBarns

This is the best I can do using my phone in a badly lit room...

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

I did notice that the date is 69 not 64

This is the best I can do using my phone in a badly lit room...

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

I did notice that the date is 69 not 64

i bet thats got a lovely tone! i feel myself warming to a classical guitar, cant put my yamaha down tonight!

Guest FarnsBarns

i bet thats got a lovely tone! i feel myself warming to a classical guitar, cant put my yamaha down tonight!

Ha ha, can't coment on the tone, you wont believe me but those strings are 1969 too, never been changed. The wounding on 4 to 6 has broken into lots of 1 inch legths of winding, yes it was like that when I picked it up 20 years ago and I played it like that for about a month before I got my first electric, a nasty cheap strat copy!

BTW, I guess it's a Spanish guitar really, not classical. I really couldn't tell you the difference but the pattern round the sound hole looks kind of Spanish to me.

Guest FarnsBarns

my god i bet them strings are hanging! i thought they were bad on mine coz they were 7 years old haha!

Memory lane tonight, I've just remembered dropping a microphone through the sound hole, plugging it into my stereo and cranking it to get it to distort. What I **** I was!

Archived