Gibson Brands Forums

your 1st ever guitar!!

barton8367

My first was an Abilene AS10R red finish. I remember thinking the world of that guitar and I played the crap out of that thing for 5+ years! I actually still have it, but it is taken apart. Im using it as a test guitar now for electronics and soldiering (I'm a newbie when it comes to soldiering). I remember that thing played very well, no buzzing and if I remember correctly I think it was an off-brand of Samick.

My first guitar was a 1976 Avarez by Yairi DY-57. Went to the attic and I still got it. Man it seems much smaller now then I remebered and man it talks amazing. I got it when I was 7 from my Dad. Well my son just turned 7 last week here comes his week after birthday present.

DSC_0022.jpg

@Charlie Brown:

That is one awesome strat! Nice dark fretboard and great looking '60's sunburst. No wonder you still have it.

I've actually got GAS from this picture. Wish I had one like that. Too nice for words to tell!

Thanks, Lungimsam...the fretboard was always dark, but has grown even darker, over the last 47 years. ;>)

The guitar was a birthday present, on my 14th birthday, in 1964. New, it was $280.00 w/case. There was

only 1 model, of Strat, back then, in a variety of colors (though not as many, as today). If you wanted

a maple fingerboard, back then, you bought a used '50's version. Not sure, if you could "special

order" a maple fretboard, as there was no "custom shop," back then. ;>)

CB

1975/6 Grant LP Gold-Top copy. Xmas Present.

A few months after I got it I swapped the p-ups for a pair of DiMarzio 'Dual Sound' units with a mini-toggle coil-tap. The switches are between the knobs.

I still have it for sentimental reasons. It actually plays very nicely but I've other LP's now...

_MG_1321-1.jpg

P.

The one on the far left is my first. I got is for Christmas in 1993 when I was 12. I still have it hough I no longer use it as the bridge is coming off. I don't feel like shelling out a lot of $ to fix it so i just hang on the wall in Eb tuning and I strum it once in a while.

guitars2004.jpg

Hmm... my first was this little toy (not ym photo, the thing is long gone) out of a Penney's catalog

synsonics_guitar.jpg

Judging by my recollection of how it suddenly came apart one day I think it was made of particle board and pot metal ;)

My first actual guitar was a Washburn G-10V. Still have ti but need some parts for the bridge.

DSC00057.jpg

My first ever guitar was a Yamaha acoustic before they even had a name on them - late 50's. I played every one in a shipment until I found the one with the best tone and bought it with baby-sitting money. Even after I graduated to a Martin D-18, I'd pull out the Yamaha because of its great sound and reliability. It finally self-destructed and got left behind when I moved but I never forgot it. My father hated music and wouldn't let me buy any instruments so I sung and hid my guitar until I left home for good.

My first electric? A Gibson 'Dark Fire'. I should have bought a Les Paul 30 years ago - but that was when 'chicks' didn't play electric guitars. Now I have three electric and three acoustic guitars and I play them for hours every day - making up for lost time!

An old Sears Sivertone Strat copy that came with a guitar case that had a 15 watt amplifier built into it. My father bought it from a friend of mine for $25 when I was 12. I thought I was really something when I leaned how to play "Smoke on the Water". The small speaker would create a fuzzy kind of distortion when you cranked it up.

An old Sears Sivertone Strat copy that came with a guitar case that had a 15 watt amplifier built into it. My father bought it from a friend of mine for $25 when I was 12. I thought I was really something when I leaned how to play "Smoke on the Water". The small speaker would create a fuzzy kind of distortion when you cranked it up.

i saw a guitar case like that about a year ago on ebay, i thought someone must have made it themselves. Obviously not!

My first guitar was a early 80's Peavey T-15 in gloss black. My parents bought it for me to learn on. I tried piano, and it was not my thing so I figured i'd try guitar. It was a great built guitar and a joy to play. It had the factory hard case with a built in 10 watt amp in the case. That was a quality guitar and was made in the USA. I never really liked the tinny sound of the stock pickups. I like metal and grunge type riffs to play the best, the T-15 was a bit too blues-ie sounding. It ended up getting stolen out of the back of a friends car. I didn't play for years after until when my kids were younger and wanted to learn to play. They got me back looking at guitars and amps on ebay and at local pawn shops for them, and from there it has become a full on family addiction! I currently have 6 guitars, and each of my two sons have two each, plus an accoustic and various parts and amps. I have lots of vintage effects pedals and some old Sunn amps and cabs that I play on most the time. I dont gig or play in a band, just sometimes with my kids and other friends, and most of the time I play by myself down in the man cave. and collect, sometimes sell, and research vintage US made guitar stuff.

I had a number of cheap what I would call "play guitars" throughout the 60s but was more into the drums.

firstgig.jpg

until i switched to seriously play guitar in the early 70s. My first real guitar was this nylon stringer.

IMG_0011.jpg

Got my first electric about a year later. This Aria SG copy. I can still remember that new guitar smell when I opened that case. Mmmm

dvd_101-1-1.jpg

By the late 70s I was getting in touch with my "mellower" side and needed a twelve string. The old man, wheeler dealer that he was, traded in a set of golf clubs for the Aria 12.

moreguitars003.jpg

Archived