Gibson Brands Forums

Modern Music

neilpanda

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For metal its the same really. There will be bad bands, good bands, shity bands, great bands and poser bands. Though the poser bands have only happen in the 80's and retruend back in the early 2000's.

Soon as another Metal Song breaks the Top 40 you'll see the parade of posers come stomping through the charts. I like to compare the Metal scene to the Blues scene (perhaps more specifically the electric Blues scene) as they have so many parallels.

Electric Blues hit back in the late 40's - early 50's in spite of the industry. Metal hit in the 70's spite of the industry.

By the mid to late 50's Blues Posers were everywhere and the sound was watered down and candied up so much they had to call it something else (Rock and Roll). By the 80's there were Metal Posers everywhere and the sound was watered down and candied up so much they had to call it something else (Glam Rock).

By the 70's and 80's Blues took a backseat to it's own creation, the industry even claimed Blues was Dead. By the 90's Metal had given way to the more Poppy versions of itself, and the industry claimed Metal was Dead.

By the 90's, Stevie Ray had rekindled popular interest in the Blues and the Industry paraded the New Blues Posers, but old school Blues Fans do not accept the new School as legit. Come today, Metal is waiting for it's Stevie Ray to re-popularize it so you can have a whole new parade of posers.

Music today is over produced. Every little detail is synthesized to the nth degree. Then the artist does a live show and you get the wtf moment. There is some good music out there, but overall, it's on a down period. (and I don't see it recovering)

What's stupid aboot this is that these performers (I WILL NOT refer to them as artists) cannot perform live for sh!t. Miley Cyrus for example...she sings terribly live. Consistantly bad, not just one performance. Her recordings, she is pitch perfect. BEP (who I can't stand), and God help her, even Lady Gaga (even though I like her songs) is not that great live.

This is why I NEVER listen to the radio. I have to go over seas for good music...France, Japan, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Faroes, Norway....Give me Gojira who sound f-ing better live than on there albums. Shoot, even As I lay Dying is good live compared to their albums.

I think some of you guys spend way too much time dissecting and focusing on the bad aspects of the music industry - then and now. Instead of threads like these I'd much rather see some threads discussing some good things going on in the music world today: new bands, new gear, etc. I'm always on the search for more bands to listen to. The best way to show how poorly you think of some of these "artists" is to simply ignore them and change the station. Acknowledging them even in a bad light is still publicity in some way shape or form, helping them much more than discrediting them. The only real gripe I have for some of the tunes nowadays is the overproduction and overcompression.

I think some of you guys spend way too much time dissecting and focusing on the bad aspects of the music industry - then and now. Instead of threads like these I'd much rather see some threads discussing some good things going on in the music world today: new bands, new gear, etc. I'm always on the search for more bands to listen to. The best way to show how poorly you think of some of these "artists" is to simply ignore them and change the station. Acknowledging them even in a bad light is still publicity in some way shape or form, helping them much more than discrediting them. The only real gripe I have for some of the tunes nowadays is the overproduction and overcompression.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

We never spent time focusing on dissecting other genre's of music, and we certainly didn't spend time being critical of other bands. If we were critical of something, it was of ourselves.

Certainly I'm a little disappointed rock n roll isn't what it used to be, but come on you cant blame Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber for that.... [confused]

Maybe today's rock n roll isn't as appealing to young people, and that's unfortunate [sad] ..... We're just flat out getting our butts kicked right now

Well, it isn't "our" Rock & Roll," anymore. It really

doesn't "belong" to anyone...and, it belongs, to everyone,

too. It's ours, and theirs!

We have what we think of, as "our" music, and always will have.

There's really no point in lamenting the "downfall" of Rock.

It's healthy, just in a different way, genre, whatever. I'll

always be tied to '60's and early 70's Rock, as it was the music

of My youth. But, I've enjoyed rock music, in the decades

before, and since. Not ALL of it, of course, but...in all

honesty, I didn't enjoy everything, back then, either.

I, truly, love all kinds of music, not just "rock" or even just

"blues!" But, Jazz, Classical (including some opera), "World

music," almost anything but "Rap." I've just never been able

to warm up, to that. Other's have, and do. That's fine, for

them. ;>)

I think, too, we tend to like what we're more comfortable playing.

The more/better "Chops" we get, the more we expose ourselves, to

learning other types of music, the less fragmented our tastes tend

to become.

CB

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

We never spent time focusing on dissecting other genre's of music, and we certainly didn't spend time being critical of other bands. If we were critical of something, it was of ourselves.

Certainly I'm a little disappointed rock n roll isn't what it used to be, but come on you cant blame Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber for that.... [confused]

Maybe today's rock n roll isn't as appealing to young people, and that's unfortunate [sad] ..... We're just flat out getting our butts kicked right now

I don't mind that Bieber and Miley are having success, it's usually with a much much younger crowd who generally aren't going to be into Rock. At least it gets those young kids interested in music to some degree. They might even pick up an instrument and learn to play because they see how much fun their idols are having at that age. Later on in life they will probably look back and laugh that they used to like that kind of stuff, goodness knows I have a few like that in my past. That being said I wouldn't want to be stuck in a car listening to them for hours on end, my younger siblings nearly killed me with Hanson in the car on vacations.

I don't like being tied to any era, but now I keep finding myself reflecting on it.... I really want to hear some fresh strong rock n roll.... I dig the Beatles, VH, RUSH and Scorpions ect..ect... But I get tired of hearing these classic rock stations playing these same songs over and over and over [thumbdn]

I don't like being tied to any era, but now I keep finding myself reflecting on it.... I really want to hear some fresh strong rock n roll.... I dig the Beatles, VH, RUSH and Scorpions ect..ect... But I get tired of hearing these classic rock stations playing these same songs over and over and over [thumbdn]

Yeah, I run "hot and cold," on "eras." But, most of the music I like, is a bit from all the decades

of my life. I don't even listen to "Radio," anymore. Haven't for 10 years, or more, now. To restricted,

and formula, for me. And, with all the ways to download music, there's no point!

CB

I've been thinking about my previous response about there being no compelling artists now. That was bull$hite.

It's just a generational thing. I don't see compelling artists because I just don't relate to younger artists anymore.

There is some good music out there but the messages in the songs is often what isn't grabbing me.

I'm only 53, not so old. My life is in a different place than artists in their 20's or 30's.

I just need to search harder to find the talent that is obviously out there.

Archived