Gibson Brands Forums

Need movie recommendations

BigKahune

Whatz the good ones out there in the theaters right now.

Just got back from Lincoln Lawyer recommended by a friend. Good movie - great soundtrack.

Gonna take in a couple more - me and my wife are off for the week . . . . and we're getting rain out. <_<

I saw "Paul" and thought it was good. If you like Simon Pegg and Nick Frost(Shawn of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), or Seth Rogen for that matter, you would probably like that. A lot of low-brow humor but it had me laughing through most of the movie. Plus Paul actually looks like a real character, not like some of the other computer generated stuff in other movies.

I heard "Limitless" was really good from a few people, haven't seen it yet.

I saw "Battle: Los Angeles" and I thought it was great, but have gotten mixed reviews from other people. It's loaded with action, and has good special effects. Some people have been critical of the lack of good dialogue, but it's a movie about marines fighting against aliens attacking earth, how much dialogue should there be? I thought there was a believable amount, I wouldn't be standing around talking while aliens are trying to kill me.

"Sucker Punch" was good eye candy, great special effects and fight scenes but the script is kinda lacking. Hard to get into any of the characters, but all the female characters are hot, so thats a plus.

I feel like I should point this out though, I see all these movies for free so my opinion might be a little weighted cause I don't have the ticket price deciding whether or not the movie was worth it.

Super Troopers - DVD

Happy Gilmore - (just in case you haven't already seen it)

King's Speech - Still in many theatres

The Source Code - fairly solid movie

Taken - Liam Neison is the man (DVD)

Also pretty much anything with Michael Caine in it. That's usually a safe bet.

Guest FarnsBarns

Foo Fighters Back and Forth. Really surprised me how good it was. Depends if your side will sit through a documentary about a band.

Guest FarnsBarns

Back and Forth is on VH1 Classic tomorrow night

?You sure? It had It's world wide cinema (movie theatre) premier today.

Guest FarnsBarns

That's what the info said a month or so ago, I remember sending it to Nathan in a pm around then.

Not gonna be happy about that. Spent a fortune last night. Free tickets always seems to mean overspend on everything else!

If you have Netflix or a DVD rental place nearby, and if you're going to go for subtitled movies, I say go for something directed by Ingmar Bergman. Any one of his movies is bound to be fantastic (dare I say the best you may ever see,) but if it's your first one I recommend staying way from Persona. That one creeped me out--and it wasn't even supposed to be a horror movie!

Check out The Virgin Spring and The Seventh Seal, if you haven't seen them yet. Two of my favorite movies ever--black and white, Swedish, English subtitles. Great acting by Max Von Sydow (from Strange Brew, The Exorcist, Hannah and Her Sisters, etc.) in both of them.

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo series is good if you don't mind reading sub-titles. [scared] After about 5 minutes, you don't even notice. [thumbup]

+1. Solid series. Moon (2009) was the best sci-fi movies I've seen in years. No special effects, just great acting, crazy plot, good music, and solid directing.

Archived