Gibson Brands Forums

Should Gibson offer "Kits?"

charlie brown

With all the folks, that love to "mod," or are just never satified,

with Gibson (or Epiphone, for that matter) supplied electronics, and

or hardware, nuts, tuners, etc. Should Gibson offer kits...or just

the body and necks, of some models of guitars? (LP's and SG's etc.)

And, let the consumer, decide what pickups, electonic parts, and hard-

ware, to go with it.

And, would you be more (or less) inclined to buy those?

Just a thought...

CB

Yes! But the Gibson ones would be like 10 grand (knowing how they overprice all their products cause its brand name). The Epiphone ones would be really cool for a great price!

You know, I get tired of hearing this crap on a daily basis. Not all Gibsons are overpriced, the SG line are decent values for the money. If you think Gibsons are sooo terribly overpriced, buy something else and go to their forum. Sorry to jack your topic CB, but I had to get that out. I swear to God, if I hear " all your paying for is the name on the headstock" one more time, I'm gonna go ballistic. Rant over.

I don't think so - I don't see why anyone with a valuable brand name would sell kits? if you had the logo on the kit you couldn't control build quality and without the logo's what would be the point? s others have aid there are already people out there that make and sell kits.

What would a kit be anyway with a fixed neck guitar? You can already swap electronics and hardware not much is left to do really unless you want to do your own finish and that would be a nightmare for most players.

Well, it was just an "idea." I didn't say it was a "good" one. LOL

It just seems, there is so much "modding," that I wonder why they pay

the kinds of prices, Gibson's command, just to change everything. (Smile)

But, whatever... No big deal. Just thought I'd throw it out there, and

see what the feeling was.

I put this, on the Epi forum (Lounge) too...we'll see what they have to

say, as well. ;>)

CB

Here's my take...

I could feature doing such, but not with the current flagship brands of Gibson corp for the reasons Retro mentioned. It's bad enough if someone manages a kludge screwup on the real thing.

But... a different nameplate? Perhaps, especially Epi-price bodies.

The problem as I see it is both screwups messing up corporate image and secondly I'll wager that the pups and electronics aren't really that expensive to add once the wood work is complete. So... why bother since you can sell a complete guitar for about the same price as one missing pups. Then if somebody wants to mess with it... it'll be generally known that a 335 comes with X or Y pups and it it has Z, somebody messed with it.

m

You know, I get tired of hearing this crap on a daily basis. Not all Gibsons are overpriced, the SG line are decent values for the money. If you think Gibsons are sooo terribly overpriced, buy something else and go to their forum. Sorry to jack your topic CB, but I had to get that out. I swear to God, if I hear " all your paying for is the name on the headstock" one more time, I'm gonna go ballistic. Rant over.

Well, actually, i don't think Gibsons are overpriced. I think the opposite actually. They do have great values. I just thought a custom kit would be expesive. Don't go all ballistic [lol]

Well, actually, i don't think Gibsons are overpriced. I think the opposite actually. They do have great values. I just thought a custom kit would be expesive. Don't go all ballistic [lol]

It's all good, I feel better now [biggrin]

In response to your question CB, I don't think Gibson guitar kits would be very cost effective. On that subject, I suppose you could call the faded series an "assembled parts kit" as they are a great platform for custom builds.

Yes! But the Gibson ones would be like 10 grand (knowing how they overprice all their products cause its brand name). The Epiphone ones would be really cool for a great price!

](*,)[lol] :blink: [blink] :unsure:

Charlie, good thinking but I don't think it's a good idea because Gibson is completely out to lunch with their pricing. They expect people to pay $115 for their fake Bumblebee caps when you can buy real reproduction Bumblebees for around $40. They'd probably want around/over $500 for their kits consisting of pickups/pots/caps...and at the end of the day all you have are '57 Classics, pots with values all over the place, and crappy fake Bumblebees. Why pay that when you can buy better pickups/pots/caps for less?

For you SG we shall say they are "Economically Challenged" [flapper][woot]

It's all good, I feel better now [biggrin]

In response to your question CB, I don't think Gibson guitar kits would be very cost effective. On that subject, I suppose you could call the faded series an "assembled parts kit" as they are a great platform for custom builds.

See Andy's studio/custom kit.

I hear you. I agree as well.

Charlie, good thinking but I don't think it's a good idea because Gibson is completely out to lunch with their pricing. They expect people to pay $115 for their fake Bumblebee caps when you can buy real reproduction Bumblebees for around $40. They'd probably want around/over $500 for their kits consisting of pickups/pots/caps...and at the end of the day all you have are '57 Classics, pots with values all over the place, and crappy fake Bumblebees. Why pay that when you can buy better pickups/pots/caps for less?

Huh?

There are photos of these...........SOME unnamed companies use fake bumblebee caps...........[cursing][scared][unsure][cursing] ....

Archived