Gibson Brands Forums

How many like big bodies and how many like small bodies???

onewilyfool

I've got a real nice Dreadnaught-type... It's all that.

But I wants me a small-body, too.

I'm open to suggestion, as long as the folks who make them have all the tools in the factory to make it look good.

Waiting for info...

I all seriousness, (strange thing for me), I certainly prefer the sound of a dread.... LOVE the sound of a Super Jumbo too, but I'm too short to play one comfortably.

I have my small-bodied Jubilee, and while I like to play it, and it's the guitar I keep in the family room for when I just want to play something without a hassle, it doesn't get the sound

I truly like. It's VERY comfortable to play, but when playing with others, I get drowned out, (which ain't always a bad thing).

Mostly jumbo.

Hey Jannus -

I thought you were going to sell yer J-300 CW. B)

I originally purchased the Western Classic to flip. Was looking to generate additional funds for another small bodied Martin. I listed it for a week or two and in that time, no one showed interest and I realized what an amazing instrument I had. I pulled my sale ads and have no plans to sell any time soon. She's a keeper.

20 plus years ago.....Jumbos and Dreads........Now trying to replace my jumbo to find a small body that can produce. (sound that is) Just played a Keb mo and a '57 000 Martin classical. Both nice, but......I have to say small bodies for comfort and ease. Would play it more.

I have been in a dilemma for years! I have always liked small bodied guitars, but as I am mainly a strummer,

the jumbo/dread sound is better for me. I want a small body with a big sound - any suggestions?

My 000-28 custom just doesn't work.

I find standard, square-shoulder dreadnoughts really uncomfortable. But, somewhat surprisingly, slope-shoulder dreads and super jumbos feel really comfortable. I like small bodies, too, but the big sound and comfortably narrow waist of a super jumbo is tough to beat.

I have been in a dilemma for years! I have always liked small bodied guitars, but as I am mainly a strummer,

the jumbo/dread sound is better for me. I want a small body with a big sound - any suggestions?

My 000-28 custom just doesn't work.

Ponty...if you can try a Collings OM-1....hog back and sides.....the smaller body Om size with the hog makes it a great trummer and finger style. I'll bet your 000-28 has a lot of overtones,,,,great for fingerstyle...probably gets muddied up a bit with strumming??? Good luck on the quest....

I once considered the Santa Cruz H, which is of course based on a Gibson L-00.

The deep bodied L-00s of the 90s were very nice too.

I will have to look at some of the OMs mentioned next time Im off the Island - that is Bermuda, an acoustic guitar waste land!

In acoustic guitars I prefer a big body...love my Guild F50 for its strong Blues sound.

In electric guitars I prefer smaller bodies...the Blueshawk is my favorite, and I also love the Fender Mustang and Duo-Sonic.

For years I played a J45, in fact I'm on the second set of frets on it.

Then I learned from Doyle Dykes about short scale guitars and they often come with small bodies. My first was a Gibson Cascade,light and fast great second guitar in a band but finger style only. My second a Gibson CJ165 great all rounder. and only recently I have bought a Martin 00028,so I guess I've got the lot. Can't beat em in my opinion,comfortable and bright sounding solo and great second guitar with a first rhythm player on a dred.

I also have a parlour 12 fret. I use it to compose and just play at home,very nice it is too.

I like small bodies, and the Nick Lucas is the most dread sounding small body, though I like my Roy Smeck too. Excuse the fuzzy photo.

RoyNick.jpg

When I got my Nick Lucas, which has Madagascar Rosewood B&S, and is a custom job, I played some late 90s maple bodied ones, and they sounded great, but I don't think they have the dread sound going on as much as my rosewood, and I'd love a hog one! The Roy Smeck sounds great, and was the first serious acoustic I got, but it, and my AJ, gave me shoulder problems so I play the Nick Lucas mainly. I have a fairly narrow guitar criteria, reissue 30's Gibson 12-fretter signature models - I think I may have exhausted the market, except for maybe a Radio Grande.

Clayfingers

For me, I find something about the martin 000 size to be something beyond words, but I can try. The 000 size the way Martin does it seems to fit even better than I can understand why from the first time I played one. Even though it is "small" it seems to disappear into my lap like an electric.

Soundwise, I also am impressed with the amount of sound, and to me they seem as loud as a dread without that very low bass fundamental that sometimes does not really add to the character on some dreads.

Having said that, while I don't own a dread right now, I have a thing for Hummingbirds that are bright sounding. They just sound so damn rich and sweet. I have played a couple that if I was able to buy them I am sure I would have spent hours and days.

There have been a couple Martins that got to me. One was my freinds d-18, best sounding flat top I have ever played. And on the less excited, When I was shopping, I enjoyed the heck out of a few of the rosewood ones, the d-35 and d-28.

I guess I could sum it up by saying that I prefer 000 size for both tone and feel, but the few VERY best ones I have played happened to be the dread size.

Archived