Gibson Brands Forums

Crossroads

davidl

ONE, of my all time favorite's! I've been playing it, for decades,

now...to varying degrees of success. Never did sit down and

actually learn the "Wheels of Fire" solo, "note for note," though.

I guess, because, every time I saw him "live," even back then,

he never played that "recorded" solo, like the record. It varied,

from "close," to "whatever he wanted to do," at the time! It was

all great, though!

Plus, he's changed approaches, and tempos, over the years, quite

a lot. But, whichever way he does it, it's always Great Fun!

CB

...... I can't stand it when someone learns an Improvised Solo note for note, and I can't stand it when someone Improvises a written lead. .....

Sorry to upset you.

Yes, there's note cover-bands/tribute-bands. And there are fans who hate it when they pay money to see an artist and the artist doesn't play their songs note for note.

I like to hear a bit of originality/improve where it makes sense. But that's my side of the coin.

Sorry to upset you.

Yes, there's note cover-bands/tribute-bands. And there are fans who hate it when they pay money to see an artist and the artist doesn't play their songs note for note.

I like to hear a bit of originality/improve where it makes sense. But that's my side of the coin.

No no, I'm not upset, and I think I'm agreeing with you. I just mean if you're going to play a song like "Crossraods" or "Sunshine of your Love", songs that were written or arranged with Improvised Solo sections, those songs should be improvised over. But lets say you're going to cover Whitesnakes "Here I go Again", a song that has a written lead part, it should be played as written.

And really, if fans want to hear Clapton or Led Zeppelin play their stuff exactly as recorded, then they're missing the point and will forever be disappointed.

But that's just me.

Sorry to upset you.

Yes, there's note cover-bands/tribute-bands. And there are fans who hate it when they pay money to see an artist and the artist doesn't play their songs note for note.I like to hear a bit of originality/improve where it makes sense. But that's my side of the coin.

Yep....I was at a Clapton Concert, years ago, in Los Angeles, and after EC

played a Great Version, of "Crossroads," a kid (teen) in front of me said,

to his buddy: "Awe Man, F...in' Clapton's LOST it, man! He didn't play

"Crossroads" anything like the Record!" And, he was completely serious. (Sigh!!!)

Ironically...to me, and..by the reaction of most of the rest of the audience,

it was a "kick-a$$" version (solo, and all), regardless! So...???

CB

Oh yeah, ever since Cream, Wheels Of Fire was released. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

The Wheels of Fire version is maybe (maybe?) my all-time favorite recording. I WORE OUT that LP back when I was in college. My favorite burger place close to campus had Cream's Crossroads on the juke box. I had the LP back at my apartment, but I still pumped coin into the juke box to hear it (and Aretha's Respect) at lunch five days a week....

THOSE were the days....

You know...on a song like that, I'd LOVE to see Jeff Beck play some

"straight blues," stuff...without all his "Beck things!" He used to

do some really great "Blues," and can still...when/if he wants to.

I love Beck's playing, and always have, but just once in awhile, I'd

like to see him back to his roots...without all the tapping, and whammy

bar embellishments. But, that's just me, I guess? ;>b ;>)

CB

I mistakenly referred to it as Eric Clapton version. I know better than that. Cream it is.

And I'm in agreement with FirstMeasure and Charlie Brown. Note for note when soloing is not the point at all.

Part of the evolution of my playing is to NOT try to play note for note on solos but to have fun with it and put my own twist on it. More interesting that way. As mentioned, the original artists rarley play identical to the recordings either.

Dave

To me, the beauty of the live Cream version is, as Clapton is going off, bending and holding notes, Baker and Bruce are going supernova behind him. The most beautiful, controlled chaos since Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

I do remember God saying he hated the Wheels of Fire solo because it defined him but it was not him, it was several pieces cobbled together. He even pointed out the edits. But, as usual, I may mis-remember.

I don't pick up a guitar without playing that song. Skynyrd has a nice one on their live record from that time of great live records.

rct

edited "that great time of live records." to

"that time of great live records."

That brings up a point of contention with me. I can't stand it when someone learns an Improvised Solo note for note, and I can't stand it when someone Improvises a written lead.

But that's just me.

Don't mean to derail the thread... but I'm not sure I "get" this. Are you saying you researched every cover tune in your (extensive) catalogue to see if the original artist simply improvised in the studio or actually wrote out the lead beforehand?

[confused]

Archived