Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Family

BoyVader

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave thanks.... Yeah the place cleans up well when I have a family get together... [biggrin]

For me Dave..It's that Johnny A Custom....that guitar is one of the sexiest guitars out there.....How she play man?

For me Dave..It's that Johnny A Custom....that guitar is one of the sexiest guitars out there.....How she play man?

The Johnny A. is a great guitar sounds and plays like a dream but it has a unique feel and may not be for everyone. Access to the upper register is very good because of the double cutaway and neck joint placement. The guitar is slightly longer than a Les Paul. Great guitar!!

explorer.jpg

Lots of nice guitars in here, forgive the crappy pics of mine all I got for a camera is my iPhone I guess the lighting wasnt good enough for an HDR shot. I made the pick guard myself out of 1/16th inch thick aluminum, the upper edge on the "horn" isn't perfectly flush, but its still a work in progress I have to brush the aluminum still to get my desired finish. I will try and follow this up with a better picture.

DSCN0950.jpg

Here's a group shot. Not the best in the world but I guess it works.

They're all beautiful in this picture (the maple fretboard on the Raw Power takes some getting used to), but the Chet stands head and shoulders above the others (quite literally).

They're all beautiful in this picture (the maple fretboard on the Raw Power takes some getting used to), but the Chet stands head and shoulders above the others (quite literally).

Most of my Gibsons are just players. Nothing fancy. The Chet (Big Red) is the blinding acceptation [love] It's the most amazing guitar I have ever played for chord and arpeggio work. It does weigh a ton though. Upper fret access is a bit tricky but I'm getting used to that. The killer for upper fret access is the SG hands down. It has become my go to guitar for working out ideas and recording fast riffs I don't want to forget. I never thought I would own one, now I can't believe I haven't had one my whole life. The Raw Power (Ace) is a tone monster. Much darker sounding than the SG and yet still very snappy on the attack with sustain for days. The DC Les Paul (Darkness) I have had for a long time. It's the darkest sounding one of the bunch. I don't play it much these days so I'm trying to decide if I want to sell if or do some mods to it. The 1964 DCMM is the Tele Killer. It's a joy to play and weighs less than a Parker Fly.

I know I'm kinda old...but I don't know who those guys are.

Seriously...I envy you! I lost a lot of faith in music when the Jonas brothers came around, yeah I guess it is still music but they dont write there own songs or music and its all synthesized, sounds like ones and zeros.

Seriously...I envy you! I lost a lot of faith in music when the Jonas brothers came around, yeah I guess it is still music but they dont write there own songs or music and its all synthesized, sounds like ones and zeros.

Modern day version on the Monkees, eh?

Ahhh, don't hate me, 'cause (they're) beautiful. ;>)

CB

Just curious:

Is there a discernable difference between those two gold tops when you play them? Different sound or neck feel? Could you tell blindfolded?

I want to get 2 of the same guitar one day too.

Modern day version on the Monkees, eh?

Monkee-Mobile-2.jpg

But this made the Monkee's awesome in my books

3857013213_6484b289a9.jpg

And this is what the Jonas brothers are known for...spaying pre-teen girls with there foam guns, wonder what thats a metaphor for!

Just curious:

Is there a discernable difference between those two gold tops when you play them? Different sound or neck feel? Could you tell blindfolded?

I want to get 2 of the same guitar one day too.

Yeah, they're "different," in their sameness. The '50's has a fatter neck,

so the feel, is a bit different. It also has orange-drop cap's, and sounds

a bit more "mid-range," whereas the '60's is without orange-drops, and sounds

a bit "rounder" in tone. Both are excellent sounding, and playing guitars,

nonetheless. To be honest, I wasn't intending on buying another "Tribute"

Gold Top, but was in the store, getting another guitar fixed, and while I

waited, I was just "looking" at the new '60's versions. But, when I saw the

back, on the one I have now, IT chose ME! LOL Did some "trading," and it only

cost me 200 bucks, on top of my trade-in. Everyone was happy! ;>)

CB

Yeah, they're "different," in their sameness. The '50's has a fatter neck,

so the feel, is a bit different. It also has orange-drop cap's, and sounds

a bit more "mid-range," whereas the '60's is without orange-drops, and sounds

a bit "rounder" in tone. Both are excellent sounding, and playing guitars,

nonetheless. To be honest, I wasn't intending on buying another "Tribute"

Gold Top, but was in the store, getting another guitar fixed, and while I

waited, I was just "looking" at the new '60's versions. But, when I saw the

back, on the one I have now, IT chose ME! LOL Did some "trading," and it only

cost me 200 bucks, on top of my trade-in. Everyone was happy! ;>)

CB

I dont know if this had been answered yet CB, but do you plan on keeping both, or selling one? Do you think now after-the-fact it's worth it to have both?

Archived