Gibson Brands Forums

Why is Fender better than Gibson?

Tim Plains

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gibsons were too heavy for many of the smaller stud guitarists of yesteryear, and they opted for the lighter Fenders. Clapton, Beck, Jimi, etc... were relatively small and ended up with Strats. Hats off to Page for holding a beast on his shoulders! Later, it was SGs and they caught on very well. Then the chambered and the weight relieved entered the field... I prefer the beefy heavy over 9 lb. Gibson LPs for maximum tone. When I play my Fender, I feel like I'm playing a cardboard guitar (not really). Now, Blackie's cat on the other hand... [smile]

Jeff Beck would disagree with you, he says Les Paul is a "Sissy Guitar..."

2184782240100337768S600x600Q85.jpg

{Disclaimer}I don't happen to agree with him, but that's what he said.

If Gibson made a version of the Strat and if Fender made a version of the Les Paul, I'd compare them, but they don't so I don't either. I have my new Les Paul Studio Faded, a parts Strat I built from all American Fender parts, (Delta Tone pickups), an inexpensive Squier Telecaster and an early Mexican Standard Precision Bass. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best of all worlds.

Words of Wisdom Dem00n!!![thumbup] And to be serious, how grasshopper smart are you going to be when you are 30???

Now, on a non serious note....When are they gonna make me a ' Lion King ' SG, a ' Merry Poppins ' strat, a ' Snow White ' tele, an ' Ice Age ' custom shop ES339, and a ' Hobbit ' Explorer.....And no, my kids wouldn't be allowed to play them....MINE MINE MINE...[flapper]dry.gif:rolleyes:

Damian - You are one weird puppy... Are we related?

My 6 year old granddaughter has a travel guitar and she picks out tunes on 1 or 2 strings. If someone ever writes a song with only Em chord, she has it nailed. At the store yesterday, I saw a pink Hello Kitty Strat... so tempting...

I see no reason why a player shouldn't own and enjoy a diverse collection of instruments.

Well said, the USA Dean's I have owned rival any Gibson's I own but there is just something about the Gibson Explorer that fits so right with my playing style. It's the guitar that makes the difference, not necessarily the brand who makes it

Damian - You are one weird puppy... Are we related?

My 6 year old granddaughter has a travel guitar and she picks out tunes on 1 or 2 strings. If someone ever writes a song with only Em chord, she has it nailed. At the store yesterday, I saw a pink Hello Kitty Strat... so tempting...

Why, thankyou Dennis; We could be related somehow...Aren't grand kids great?? I don't see mine, ah well...Ya know, your granddaughter might love one of those 'mini strats' by Squire, they're small scale. She'd treasure it; and Neil Young must have a song with only Em in it.....My girlfriend is older than you, just an odd thought. You also get a +1, I just figured out how to give those. Old chords never die, they just diminish a bit. I posted some dumb jokes on the Short Jokes thread if thats your cup of tea, and scattered elsewhere. I'm mixing humor with some serious postings. Anyways, thanks for the comment. I'm retired at 47 and don't get out much; don't like that cruel world; been there, done that. I study law, music and art, and record music. Thats my cup of tea.

Bless you..[thumbup]eusa_pray.gif Check out the "THUD" thread Dennis!!!

I have owned both, If I was to get another fender it would be a Texas Special Tele.

I just really like the LP / P90 combo.

Now fender amps.....msp_thumbup.gif thats a whole other story.

Though I'm still working on my parts Fender "Mastercaster" tri-pup Tele Clone [just cuz I wanted to build one ...], I've now had the privilege of playing a P90 LP twice and I highly suspect the next time I get to play one I'll be walking out of the store with it. I was presently surprised the first time literally expecting that P90s must have been replaced for a reason. The 2nd time I seriously wished I had the cash at the time. The third time I'll go in the store with the cash. A 55 ot 56 reissue or there's been a couple of P90 Customs made that are sweet.

That said, I probably do play my Gibsons more than my Fender Strat just because it's 2 to 1. Still play my Carvin the most though. They are all just tools of the trade.

+1 on Fender amps as well but I have literally fallen in love with these mini-heads. An aging back loves a 20 lb. head and 28 lb. speaker. Had a Krank Rev Jr Pro mini-stack and loved it except for lacking clean [Kleen] channel headroom. So, now I have an Egnater Rebel 30 mini-stack which is very small-medium venue gigable. If Fender made one I'd certainly check it out.

Brutal Truth is early telecasters are way better than any year gibsons far as electric guitars go... any good guitar player knows this already, so does gibson [flapper] I still love my J-45 standard and it is the prize of my collection by far, but then again.. it's acoustic

I'm up late and in a grouchy mood, so I shouldn't, but...

As far as I can see, yes, I rather like on occasion to hear the sound of a tele.

Otherwise, the only thing I see preferable to a "F" style guitar is that they are more strongly built for use as a bayonet when one has difficulty in a sleazy bar gig. One might utilize a thrust with impunity and a butt stroke also works well.

I'd not even consider using a Gibson-style guitar in such a way.

m

If Gibson made a version of the Strat and if Fender made a version of the Les Paul, I'd compare them, but they don't so I don't either. I have my new Les Paul Studio Faded, a parts Strat I built from all American Fender parts, (Delta Tone pickups), an inexpensive Squier Telecaster and an early Mexican Standard Precision Bass. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best of all worlds.

I think just a year ago Gibson was going to release the "Hendrix Strat", but there were so many negative feedback on its release, Gibson held back on releasing it. Anyone remember? http://www.guitarsavvy.co.uk/index.php/the-new-gibson-jimi-hendrix-signature-guitar-polarizes-opinions-a-gibson-strat/

Hnedrix_Gibson_Strat.jpg

Why argue? Both are great and both are valued tool's for any musician. I love both of mine, for their differences and different sounds I can make with each.

J

Exactly!! Why is everyone so uptight on which guitar maker is better? Who the F*&& Cares?

• 2 months later...

I think just a year ago Gibson was going to release the "Hendrix Strat", but there were so many negative feedback on its release, Gibson held back on releasing it. Anyone remember? http://www.guitarsavvy.co.uk/index.php/the-new-gibson-jimi-hendrix-signature-guitar-polarizes-opinions-a-gibson-strat/

Hnedrix_Gibson_Strat.jpg

OMG...I had blocked image that from my memory!!! Now you had to bring it all back [cursing]

Jeff Beck would disagree with you, he says Les Paul is a "Sissy Guitar..."

2184782240100337768S600x600Q85.jpg

{Disclaimer}I don't happen to agree with him, but that's what he said.

Yeah, he's talking about playability, and I do agree, for me at least, I feel like I need to do more with my Strat. But in terms of weight, I bet he likes a lighter, more challenging guitar to play (for him), than an "easier" one (again, for him) to play that would be more challenging for him to be lugging around...

Archived