Gibson Brands Forums

It's Official: I hate EBAY & PAYPAL

Spot

Well after spending hours sourcing the right box, then packing up my SOLD 335,...the sale has officially fallen through as the BUYER and I disagree on Terms...

have wasted the whole day packing, driving to MAILBOXES, etc getting shipping costs, Calling EBAY & PAYPAL Customer Services lines and finally arguing with the BUYER via EBAY pm's which all ended in a dispute...and,... me then issueing a refund!!

...and...all this resulting in:

Me sitting on an un-sold BOXED guitar and $70 in the Red in EBAY Fees!!!!!

[cursing]

Well after spending hours sourcing the right box, then packing up my SOLD 335,...the sale has officially fallen through as the BUYER and I disagree on Terms...

have wasted the whole day packing, driving to MAILBOXES, etc getting shipping costs, Calling EBAY & PAYPAL Customer Services lines and finally arguing with the BUYER via EBAY pm's which all ended in a dispute...and,... me then issueing a refund!!

...and...all this resulting in:

Me sitting on an un-sold BOXED guitar and $70 in the Red in EBAY Fees!!!!!

[cursing]

If I may ask..why did he back out? Unless there was something not stated in the auction, he can't really do that if he was the highest winning bidder...

If I may ask..why did he back out? Unless there was something not stated in the auction, he can't really do that if he was the highest winning bidder...

...Long story.

One that I have spent pretty much the whole day on. Botton line was that my description stated basic shipping, no Insurance. He didn't want to pay anything additional to have the guitar insured, so If I had sent it, it would have been all my risk,

No way Hoseeee....

...Long story.

One that I have spent pretty much the whole day on. Botton line was that my description stated basic shipping, no Insurance. He didn't want to pay anything additional to have the guitar insured, so If I had sent it, it would have been all my risk,

No way Hoseeee....

sorry to hear about your troubles matey, i have sold guitars on ebay before and only had one buyer pull out...after 3 days he still hadn't sent the money to my paypal acc then when he finally contacted me he said his wife had a misscarrage and couldn't deal with things right now, he may of been lying he may not have been but what can ya do huh?.

anyways i know how peed off you must be but good luck selling it on again [mellow]

...Long story.

No way Hoseeee....

Damn...that's a bummer.

...Long story.

No way Hoseeee....

I would have stated shipping it owners expense if they refused to pony up for insurance, thats not your responsibility nor is it a good reason to welch on a winning bid, a normal auction house probably wouldnt let that fly. Plus if you were to send a package out like this via UPS or Fedex the other person is supposed to inspect it before signing for it as if there is any damages it can be disputed with the courier and they generally have to cover the costs, but something like USPS is different.

There is a lot of crazy people on eBay you just have to watch out for. I would suggest that in future you make sure have all the information done up and that you would include both insurance and tracking (if it's usps)

Sorry to hear you got screwed.

could you not have stated in the auction that if the buyer opted against paying shipping insurance that it was at their own risk? If not, I guess the best way to go would be to specify that the buyer assumes all shipping cost in addition to the purchase price and that damage during shipping would not be your responsibility.

Why would you expect him to pay for shipping insurance to protect you? I sold a guitar on E-Bay last week that I shipped UPS. The total cost of insurance for a $3200 guitar was $17 I've sold 30 or 40 guitars on E-bay in the last 5 years and it never crossed my mind to not insure the package or to try and charge the buyer for my insurance, it's just part of the cost of the sale to me as the seller.

I guess you could try to say they assumed all risk but that would be tough since it's still your guitar until they take delivery. I would probably never buy a guitar from someone who said I was responsible for any damage before it got to me, since I have zero control over packing or original condition.

To ever sell a expensive item without shipping insurance would be way to risky for me. let's be honest here UPS likes to damage stuff especially fragile large stuff like guitars, They broke a guitar neck in two places for me a few years back you could actually see the big boot print from where they stood on the box, they also paid the full claim without question and let me keep the guitar afterwords because they could not easily sell it so it wasn't worth the effort of picking it up I guess. I wasn't all that upset since it was a Fender Strat and the replacement neck was pretty cheap.

I think everybody hates E-Bay fee's especially now that you are required to accept Pay Pal if you want to sell on the site, but it still is a hell of a big market you get to advertise all for a fairly small cost, I'm not sure what worldwide advertising would cost someone nowadays but I bet it's a lot more than $70?

I always insure whatever I am shipping.

My last blunder when selling a guitar was that I did not advertise it on craigslist first.

I put it on eBay and a local guy bought it, then I assumed he was going to pay cash at local delivery and he used Paypal.

I saved on the shipping but ended up getting like $40 or $50 less on the deal after eBay and Paypal fees.

Stiffhand - thats quite the coincidence and strange that a local person wanted to pay through Pay Pal wonder why? I've never had a local person purchase anything from me on E-bay, I'm in Phoenix and I think Las-Vegas is the closest sale I've ever had.

I've had the reverse though with just horrible luck on Craigslist. For some reason everybody on CL seems to just assume I must be desperate and need money for rent or something and the offers are just silly. I tried it a couple times in the last couple years the last one was for a very nice Telecaster that I listed for $1200 the best offer I got on CL was $400 and a supposedly really nice lawnmower? usually somebody wants to trade a gaming computer and supposedly 2k worth of illegal games. The only time I even try Craigslist anymore is if it's something that's just too big to ship then

I usually go with kijiji to sell my stuff or just ask around my local music connections. While there may be a wider audience on ebay, I couldn't be bothered with shipping to other cities and the items I buy and sell are not normally enough money to make delivering or picking up in other cities. I think my Les Paul was the only exception and I arranged to meet the guy half way.

I've got a Vox Valve Reactor series AC15VR on kijiji right now. It's been there over a month and all I've had is someone ask if it had a speaker out and someone from the local Long & McQuade offer to keep it in mind if they come across someone with their heart set on that amp and unable/unwilling to buy brand new.

Part could be that I'm asking too much, but the amp is 3 years old and has been played outside the home but looks like it just left the showroom. Also I don't see anyone making offers either... seems people on there don't know what OBO behind the asking price means. I figured by now I would at least have been hit with a ridiculous low ball offer that I could try to haggle with, but no dice.

I did have a neighbor say he'd mention it to his brother. While I knew he was a singer and drummer and occasionally strummed an acoustic guitar, apparently he's also playing electric and quite the gear hoarder too. Who knows.

But then, honestly, I'm in no rush to sell it either. The add is more to appease the wife who doesn't see the point of a guy not playing in a band having multiple guitars and amps. To her it's the equivalent of how I view her collection of designer purses... how many does a one need? certainly nowhere near the number she's got. I don't mind having the second amp around. It's nice for when friends who are guitarists drop by unprepared to jam. I got enough guitars to go around and with a second amp, we're all set.

Your wife is addicted to purses also huh? my wife is so bad that she had a company called Classy Closets come in and build custom shelfs with cubby holes that are 8 inches wide by 16 inches tall with glass doors on them just to hold her purse collection, it even has lights that come on when you open the doors like some kind of a museum cases all just to hold purses.

I sure don't understand her addiction to purses but with my collecting habits I sure won't tease her i just smile think about my guitar room.

Your wife is addicted to purses also huh? my wife is so bad that she had a company called Classy Closets come in and build custom shelfs with cubby holes that are 8 inches wide by 16 inches tall with glass doors on them just to hold her purse collection, it even has lights that come on when you open the doors like some kind of a museum cases all just to hold purses.

I sure don't understand her addiction to purses but with my collecting habits I sure won't tease her i just smile think about my guitar room.

I'm reading about your wifes purse lockers and then glancing over to the left at your guitar wall picture. You guys are too organized.

Archived