Gibson Brands Forums

Good strap locks for lp traditional

blueslespaultone

Dunlop Straploks dual design...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dual-design

or you can just buy a strap with built-in locks, Planet Lock Straps:

http://store.daddario.com/category/146443?language_id=1&currency_id=1

Hope it helps :P I use the Planet Lock Strap in my bass and the Dunlop Straplok in my guitar. No real reason, I just didn't want to touch the pins of the bass xD

Schaller's. I think these are the best strap locks due to their design. Schaller's screws are smaller than some stock Gibson screws. You may have to either use wood/glue or bore out the Schaller button to fit the Gibson screw.

+1

+1

+1

I installed Schaller's on my '86 ES 335 (player's guitar, not some collectable safe queen). The body pin hole was much too large for the Schaller screw so I super glued some thin toothpicks around the opening, broke off the excess once the glue dried and simply installed the Schaller button with a screwdriver (no drilling necessary). Worked great, looks great.

I think it's also Dunlop that sells the plastic strap locks that are pick shaped. They're made in 2 pieces put together, and one has a different shape to the hole, you basically twist the center piece until the hole is round and fits over the standard strap button, slide it on AFTER connecting the strap; twist the center piece back to close the hole so it won't slip off and your strap is locked on, no need to change the strap button and risk stripping the hole for the screws. They cost about $5 and work just as well or better than any other strap lock I've tried.

looks like with any of the strap locks i have to use tooth pics and glue, or bore out the hole.

Not true>

I have Schaller locks on all my electrics and only had to make adjustments on my R0.

Schallers use a pull button which are much safer than others. I believe that Dunlops use a push button so it's possible to accidentally hit it and unlock it. With Schallers that possibility is near zero, which is why I use them.

looks like with any of the strap locks i have to use tooth pics and glue, or bore out the hole.

not true at all. see my post just above this comment where I talk about the inexpensive,plastic strap locks I found by Dunlop that slip over the xisting strap button and then you twist the center portion of it to close the hole so it can't slip off. Costs around $5 and there's no need to replace strap buttons or attach any special fittings to your strap.

Schaller

fitted to my Gibson Les Paul Traditional & my Gibson SG direct replacement fit.

although for the strap pin on the bottom end of the guitar (stop bar end not neck) I recommend re-using the original screw as it is larger/longer and therefore more secure.

I am Punk Rock an my guitar gets thrown about alot and not once has it ever come off, my wireless is a different story though!

On my 20+ guitars that have the chance of getting a gig at the weekends, every one of them is fitted with Schaller buttons. I have 4 straps fitted with the other end of the schaller strap locks, and use them at will.

Schallers, every time.

I put dunlops on my studio. One thing to note is the two screws Gibson used were different sizes. The rear hole was easy to install but the one by the neck was a pain in the butt. Not sure I want to mess with the hardware on my goldtop standard so I bought some of the plastic dunlop locks that look like picks for it.

Schallers use a pull button which are much safer than others. I believe that Dunlops use a push button so it's possible to accidentally hit it and unlock it. With Schallers that possibility is near zero, which is why I use them.

I cannot see how that would be possible with Dunlop strap locks.

Having used both, I find that each work fine. Dunlop strap locked may be a bit easier to get on and off quickly though IMO, but it's not as if the Schaller are hard to do.

Either will suit a guitarist's needs.

Archived