Gibson Brands Forums

Germanium Fuzz

Californiaman

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but I have heard nothing but bad reviews on them. I hope your experience is different though

Really? Premier Guitar gave it a stellar review a few months back...I've actually read alot of good things, but i'm just curious how well the overdrive stands out compared to it just being more of a lowgain fuzz..Looks like fun though, and I bet there's some great dirty sounds hidden in there. Good find and good luck.

Am I the only one that thinks this pedal doesn't really quite sound like a Big Muff? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing I guess, but when I hear this I don't really think Big Muff. It would be interesting to see how the circuit compares to a regular Muff.

dem00n I think if they just made the regular NYC Muff really nice I wouldn't care what else they did.

Well, from the demos I've heard of that pedal, I think it sounds pretty interesting. I do like the idea of having cascadable gain sections in one pedal--I know it's not exactly innovative, and it's been done before, but that's a quality that I think is really cool about that one. I'd be curious to try one out.

I wish they stop all these Big Muff pedals...kinda beating a dead horse.

Well hope you like your cal, i think you got a good one.

As far as the different EHX Muff "variants," all I can say is that using the Big Muff name is more of a branding thing than anything else.

EHX knows they have a very marketable legacy with the original Muff, so they can market a high-gain distortion as the Metal Muff (a pedal which I happened to like a lot last time I tried it--it has a pretty warm sound,) a "British tube-amp-style" overdrive as the English Muff'n (I've always felt that the main selling point of that pedal is the pun they used for the name,) and then bigger (Germanium 4) and smaller (Nano Double Muff) variations of the Big Muff Pi, regardless of whether or not they actually sound like the original product and they will sell to someone because, frankly, EHX has a pretty decent reputation despite wide-ish variations in quality over the years. At least, that's my take on it.

so I bought this on ebay today.

The BIG MUFF PI GERMANIUM 4.

Snapshot2011-07-0920-30-38.jpg

As usual, I'll report in with my findings.

Germanium Muff

Nice! I actually demoed one at GC and to it sounded pretty good. Different fuzz effects, and the bias control is really handy. I think the G4 is the only fuzz pedal that has that feature at the $99 price range.

Did I buy it? I was, but I got a Blues JR NOS instead [flapper] I got for $490 out the door [flapper] New in the box [flapper] [flapper]

Lets hear that G4, post a demo of it.

I tried that Muff side by side to my Keeley. I actually liked it because of the dual modes and it is a great price. I opted for the Keeley because it was more the sound I wanted however I would easily put the Muff in my chain. Great pedal IMHO

I tried that Muff side by side to my Keeley. I actually liked it because of the dual modes and it is a great price. I opted for the Keeley because it was more the sound I wanted however I would easily put the Muff in my chain. Great pedal IMHO

[thumbdn]

He's not jack black.

Definitely not Jack Black.

Well he is to me. Sounds just like him! I like to imagine Jack Black doing these pedal demos. I've seen a lot of this guy's demos and it never fails, every time I watch one of his pedal reviews I end up thinking that I just watched Jack Black give me a pedal review like no other! So really I don't care who he is, I just like to pretend it's Jack Black because that makes it instantly more fun to watch. This guy talks and says things just like Jack Black anyway. msp_flapper.gif

He's just a tribute.

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

Well he is to me. Sounds just like him! I like to imagine Jack Black doing these pedal demos. I've seen a lot of this guy's demos and it never fails, every time I watch one of his pedal reviews I end up thinking that I just watched Jack Black give me a pedal review like no other! So really I don't care who he is, I just like to pretend it's Jack Black because that makes it instantly more fun to watch. This guy talks and says things just like Jack Black anyway. msp_flapper.gif

msp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gifmsp_lol.gif

But have you seen his new boots video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beDXAEvpRfY

Archived