Gibson Brands Forums

Witch sg should i buy

EvoRider

ok what about the limited edition 1966 g-400 or the plain g-400 the 1966 has the alnico classic humbuckers and the g-400 has the alnico v humbuckers? I am really confused. i want as close as i can get to angus young sound because that is pretty much all i can play.. with out paying the big buck for a real gibson sg..

ok what about the limited edition 1966 g-400 or the plain g-400 the 1966 has the alnico classic humbuckers and the g-400 has the alnico v humbuckers? I am really confused. i want as close as i can get to angus young sound because that is pretty much all i can play.. with out paying the big buck for a real gibson sg..

They are the same.

There is a lot more than just the guitar to worry about when wanting a certain sound.

What kind of amp do you have? How long have you been playing?

the 66 has the bigger batwing pickguard

If you want an SG, get an SG. G-400 is recommnded via my own experience, and previous posts.

WHICH version you choose is up to your personal tastes. Just make sure it is a "SET-NECK" Guitar.

Bottom line is your ability to afford the $$$ outlay. How Much dow you want to spend?

Do you want a "Satin-finish" git for Less $$$$. or a GLOSS Git for a little more $$$$$?

For $299.00:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-vintage-g-400-electric-guitar

For $349.00:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-vintage-g-400-electric-guitar

For $499.00:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-g-400-custom-electric-guitar/518325000460000

Just thinkng out loud....

i think i am going to go with the ebony G 400 i just couldnt make up my mind on witch style.. Thanks for all the help. By the way i am running my guitar through a Rat distortion pedal into a old Peavey TNT 130 bass amp. The sound is close now but not as brite due to the epiphone special II that i have now..

I have an Epi G-400 Custom that my daughter's boyfriend says is was better than his Gibson SG in every way.If you're not familiar with the Custom it's a 3 pup,SG bodied Les Paul,with gold plating and antique ivory finish.You can turn off the volume to tthe mid pup so thaat you still have the standard SG but have the option of kicking in the mid pup. This little tone monster can push out theraunchiest hard rock tones-even heavy metal-yet can sing some of the sweetest Wes Montgomery jazz tones and all tones in between.Certainly worthwhile checking out.

BTW I guess that you already know that the SG was called a Les Paul for the first year or so and that's why the G-400 is classed as a Les Paul because it's based on the '61 SG/Les Paul.

The secret to getting Angus like tones is to plug into at least a half decent tube amp (preferably a marshal) switch it to the dirty channel, now this is the essential part so pay attention "don't saturate it with loads and loads of gain, back off the gain until you have a nice but nasty gravely sound that still retains the natural sound of the guitar, (about 4 on my amp) then set the master volume to stun and let rip.

I can get angus tones with almost any guitar just by tweeking the gain and using the EQ.

I'm glad you are going for the G400, its a better guitar than the G310. I love my G400.

P.S..I heard or read somewhere, (don't know if it's true) that Malcolm gets his sound by playing through a bass amp..?

On a slightly off topic note: Why the hell don't they just call them SG's instead of G400's? They say SG on the truss rod cover and they are every bit as much of an SG as an Epi Les Paul is a Les Paul and they don't call the Les Paul's LP-400's. What's up with that?

On a slightly off topic note: Why the hell don't they just call them SG's instead of G400's? They say SG on the truss rod cover and they are every bit as much of an SG as an Epi Les Paul is a Les Paul and they don't call the Les Paul's LP-400's. What's up with that?

Yeah I have wondered this. Quite confusing, I first thought it might be down to the different models like "G310" but then they dont do it for the Les Pauls, they just call them specials etc. Hmmmm

P.S..I heard or read somewhere, (don't know if it's true) that Malcolm gets his sound by playing through a bass amp..?

I heard the same thing and that is why i tried running thru my bass amp. I have to admit it sounds pretty good so now i gona invest in a sg..

I dont know why, but the G-310, 400 and the Special are all part of the "G-Series", although the Specials dont have a "G" designation. I dont know what "G" stands for..."guitar", maybe? SG stands for "solid guitar", I believe. If you recall, there is an LP 1, 2, 3, LP 100 and the fabled LP 300. Of course, these are all bolt-necks, as well as the G-Series except the 400. Maybe it was to seperate them from their Gibby counterparts...It must be a "G" thang.

Just to re-enforce what others have said, get a G400. The G310 is not an SG. SGs have set necks, not bolt on.

The same is true for Les Pauls.

(Take a look in-store at the rack with the real Gibsons on it and see if you can find a bolt on neck there!)

I routinely run my G-400 Custom through my '69 Fender Bassman amp with a 2-15 '68 Bassman bottom and it can shake the foundations of the house-it gets so raunchy-so a bass amp will definitely do the trick-especially a Marshall.

Just to re-enforce what others have said, get a G400. The G310 is not an SG. SGs have set necks, not bolt on.

The same is true for Les Pauls.

(Take a look in-store at the rack with the real Gibsons on it and see if you can find a bolt on neck there!)

Although the cork sniffers may agree with you, Epiphone may beg to differ. Perhaps you missed my post (above) about the Special, G-310 & G-400 all being part of the G-Series. The bolt-neck versions are still SGs & Les Pauls. They are just entry-level variations for people on a budget. Technically speaking, the G-400 and Epiphone Les Paul arent real SGs and LPs either, because they use different woods, metric Asian hardware, non-Gibson spec beveling, different pickups, non-quartersawn necks with scarf joints, and the list goes on... Also, the frets dont pop out. [tongue]

I do, however, agree that he should buy the G-400. The G-310s have come a long way in the past twenty years, but the 400 is still far superior.

Archived