Gibson Brands Forums

Can a CD be an album?

TommyK

This subject comes up once in a while. People refer to a Cd chock full of a dozen or more songs an "Album", then correct themselves.

I posit that where as most of us 40 - 50 somethings say 'album' a Long Play (LP) record comes to mind. But, this is a borrowed term in this usage. Once upon a time 78rpm records were 10 inches in diameter and contained 3 minutes of music per side. (The reason most songs are in the 3 minute range.) Later this was increased to 12 inches to accomodate longer orchestral songs. One could purchase multiple songs in a book like case containing a number of records. This was called an album. Probably not a coincidence that album also refers to a book like case holding numerous photographs. Too, the etymology of the word 'album' indicates it is analogous to 'book' and 'collection'.

With the advent of 33 1/3 speed records, and narrower grooves, more songs could be squeezed into a smaller package, i.e. a single vinyl disk. An entire 'album' of songs were available on one single record. Thus, an LP can be properly referred to as an 'album'.

Therefore I believe, that as 'album' refers to a collection of songs on one record or disk, a CD containing a collection of songs equally deserves to be called an 'album' without apology.

Therefore I believe' date=' that as 'album' refers to a collection of songs on one record or disk, a CD containing a collection of songs equally deserves to be called an 'album' without apology.[/quote']

I second that statement. Being in the above defined demographic, I find old habits hard to break.

I've always called a CD an album. That is, unless it's some promo thing or something with only 1 or 2 songs. The only time I would correct myself is if I refer to a CD as a "record". As in "The Jonas Brothers have a new record coming out" :(

I think its the first time I read a post by you TommyK (I used to spend most of the time on the les paul and spain part of the forum, and now the lounge). Nice to meet you, I'm glad I read this post, very informative.

This is the best of having a lounge, we can meet people who frequent parts of the forum we dont.

Cheers!

i know but they don't sell them at your wallmarts and targets

All the more reason not to buy your music at a Walmart or a Target! Try a record store. =D> You can also get them online. Lately they often feature tracks not found on the digital issues.

• 3 years later...
Guest farnsbarns

Strictly speaking, an album is more than 4 songs. 4 or less is considered a single or a promo by the industry. A cd album is as much a record as any vinyl. It's a recording. The etymology speaks for it's self, it's a record of sound created some time in the past.

Strictly speaking, an album is more than 4 songs. 4 or less is considered a single or a promo by the industry. A cd album is as much a record as any vinyl. It's a recording. The etymology speaks for it's self, it's a record of sound created some time in the past.

that's what i said [biggrin]

Guest farnsbarns

HolyNecroPost_759032.jpg

I didn't realize the aim was to string everything out for as long as possible. Sorry!

I must try never to make a ouright statement or impart fact simply because it may be of interest to people discussing a related subject. Instead, I'll argue about subjective matters of opinion such as which opperating system, death metal band, genre of music, colour of blues artist or fuzz pedal is best.

I do apologize. Please carry on, I'll just be over here avoiding factual information.

[tongue]

I didn't realize the aim was to string everything out for as long as possible. Sorry!

I must try never to make a ouright statement or impart fact simply because it may be of interest to people discussing a related subject. Instead, I'll argue about subjective matters of opinion such as which opperating system, death metal band, genre of music, colour of blues artist or fuzz pedal is best.

I do apologize. Please carry on, I'll just be over here avoiding factual information.

[tongue]

What you talkin 'bout Willis? Steve bumped the thread.

Archived