Gibson Brands Forums

Dont like to say the M word but

beard

So just before my trip to Calgary a couple weeks ago I went to long and mcquade to get some strings for my beater and wandered into the acoustic room. I played a bunch of things as usual but i played an OM that really was really different from my hog j45. So I played it some more and after much thought decided it was time to add another nice acoustic to the mix. I picked up a Martin OM-28v its a great sounding guitar. Unfortunately I had to wait my whole trip to come back and play it, always makes coming home more fun!

Congrat's on the OM. That model is what I'm currently saving up for. I bought a new 00-18V back in February that keeps getting better and better. From what I've encountered from the Martin Vintage series, they're a great value. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on your OM after you've played it awhile. How are you liking the mod V neck with the wide string spacing? I've heard it can be problems for some people. I've found I prefer the V neck on my 00.

Nuttin' wrong with a good Martin. I have a hankering for a 000-28 myself.

I have a 000-28 EC, which is a good-looking, nice-sounding guitar, with pretty much the same body as the OM. I like the "vintage toner" in the top finish, which definitely tones down the "new Martin" look.

Interestingly, I find it a bit harder to play with my style than any of my Gibsons due the wide neck (1 3/4" nut) and tall, narrow frets. To me, it's much harder to do slides on these boards and frets. I think it's the frets more than the board width.

Doesn't seem to slow EC down any....

Martin Guitars are a great Value... how did you find L&M to deal with? Congrats on your new Aqusition as well...

my experience is they are a big company and don't try to do you any favors. But I would say they were nice enough guys and they threw in strings and picks and stuff. They wont budge much on price unless its damaged in some way, also the guy I bought from seemed to know less of the Martin line up then myself

Congrat's on the OM. That model is what I'm currently saving up for. I bought a new 00-18V back in February that keeps getting better and better. From what I've encountered from the Martin Vintage series, they're a great value. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on your OM after you've played it awhile. How are you liking the mod V neck with the wide string spacing? I've heard it can be problems for some people. I've found I prefer the V neck on my 00.

I really like the v shaped neck aswell. I originally thought if I were to get a martin I would get an HD-28 but I find that i really like the v shape. The string spacing is also something that drew me to it in terms of feel. Its weird because I'm only about 5"8" but my hands don't seem to have an issue and actually seem to like the V.

Martin Guitars are a great Value... how did you find L&M to deal with? Congrats on your new Aqusition as well...

Since nobody address it for you, L&M has been more then outstanding for me. I live in Burnaby just on the cusp of the Van/Burn border and I actually travel out to the smaller store in Surrey as I find it to be a little more of a friendly atmosphere. The Main St. location is huge and has an outstanding inventory but dont expect to get help in there without chasing someone down and asking them, I feel this is probably because its a commission free environment so nobody is really in a hurry to make a sale or anything.

There return policy is awesome, I have taken back pedals and amps that I have had for over a month that I just wasn't feeling and they have never said no. They do charge you a "rental" fee for the time you had the item which is fair as it never really equals a restocking fee which I have never been charge, though I try not to put up a stink so they wont say no. I will speak highly of them till they show me wrong, I believe Tom Lee is the EHX dealer so I am going to have to test them out with stuff like the metal muff I want.

I have an Martin OM-21 and I love it to death.

Congradulations on your new aquisition.

There are a lot of great guitars out there.(In all honesty Gibson does not make a guitar comparable to what an OM Martin brings to the table) .

post-6738-000825300 1311120862_thumb.jpg

yea i picked mine up at the terminal store, have bought other gear from the surrey location two of my friends work there. I prefer the service at the Surrey location but the terminal is just huge and has lotsa of cool stuff.

The M-word printed itself in my brain yesterday – I feel seeping GAS for a HD-28V.

That means I'd have to sell, , , , calm down now. . . .

Blasphemy...! CAREFULL! That M-Word may fuse your lips shut when downloading it from your brain to your mouth and then uttering it.... [scared]

I've been thinking....Gibson Acoustics get a bad rap from folks who say they are "inconsistent" in quality. In my experience, newer Martins deserve the exact same rap for quality being inconsistent. When you get a good one, it's heaven, but i've played some Martins recently that leave me baffled......

Not quite sure what you get on a 00028 EC model. For myself I prefer the narrower nut and low profile neck of the standard 00028. not to mention it is considerably cheaper.

I have noticed there are more ECs than standards second hand on E Bay. Must tell you something

Not quite sure what you get on a 00028 EC model. For myself I prefer the narrower nut and low profile neck of the standard 00028. not to mention it is considerably cheaper.

I have noticed there are more ECs than standards second hand on E Bay. Must tell you something

What it tells you is that a lot of people want to buy the EC name. I suspect they build a lot more EC's than regular 000-28s. Aesthetically, the EC is a more pleasing guitar, IMHO. Functionally, I'd want to compare them side-by-side to make a decision. The neck is very different from any of my Gibsons. Not bad, just different.

My EC is number 13600+ in the 000-28 EC series. Don't know what that means, but they seem to build a lot of these suckers.

Nothing wrong with a Martin, as long as you have a Gibson for it to listen too!.... [biggrin]

001.jpg

004.jpg

Its no 28 but it is a J40M and it sounds sweet I must say.

Nice guitar you have any sound clips? Question for you can u post a couple pictures of that stand you have for guitar cases in the background. It looks like a good storage solution!

Archived