Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Story

daveinspain

I go into Guitar Center in San Antonio Texas looking for a Rebel 30 head. They only had a floor model that we couldn't get working at first... ](*,) We tried switching the guitar cord a couple time and after some tinkering the sales girl got it to work. I didn't have time to wait for a new boxed one to come in so I took the floor model with a discount... :-({|=

The sales girl was just going to send me away with the amp head with no paperwork, no carry bag and no foot switch... I was like, wait a minute there is some stuff missing. She told me lots of times when stuff gets taken out of the boxes at Guitar Center what ever is left in the box usually get thrown out. Hugh??? I said I thought that was a messed up policy and she told me "Yeah that's why I stopped being a Guitar Center customer 4 years before I started working here". At least that made me feel better... NOT!!! Took her a while but she found all the missing stuff. Oh and the carry bag was missing the shoulder strap so I made her rob one from another Egnater travel bag. I'm pretty disappointed Guitar Center sold me that amp in the condition it was in. When I got it home to Spain and tried to fire it up I discovered the problem was in the EL 84 tubes. One or both of them was shorted out, blew the fuse... [scared] I ended up replacing the fuse and the two EL 84s at an addition cost of $50.... [cursing]

Happily it's up and running now and sounds great!

Wow stopped being a customer 4 year before she started working there, but is willing to work there. I hope to god she was trying to change the policies and stuff from the inside and not just contributing to the problem. When I got my Marshall Haze it was the same way I bought the floor model that had been outta the box for a week, there was no way I was waiting 3-4 weeks to get a new one in the box, fortunately there was no issues with the amp itself, there was a small nick in the vinyl covering the side of the cab and it took the dude a good 30 minutes to dig up the footswitch and stuff, thankfully I had checked the Marshall website to see what it came with.

With all due respect, why would you be dissappointed that guitar center sold you the amp in that condition? If you had anyone to be dissappointed about, I'd think it would be you for buying it.

Glad you got it all up and running though. How are you liking it?

With all due respect, why would you be dissappointed that guitar center sold you the amp in that condition? If you had anyone to be dissappointed about, I'd think it would be you for buying it.

Glad you got it all up and running though. How are you liking it?

This was my thought when i read the OP. I would have walked away when you couldn't get the amp workin...

Dave, sounds like you were GASing big time and just bought it anyway. What if they had taken it off the floor because of its condition (and lack of accessories) and you didn't see it at all? Would you have looked at a different amp or just walked away?

All in all, i'm glad you got it all working but it sounds like you created your own pain in this case... :)

Yep, that's GC for you. Every now and then you might find an associate that actually knows their stuff. They're usually friendly enough, but not much help beyond basic stuff.

Small thing, but just as an example: I went in there last week only to buy some Finger Ease. Of course since I'm there I walk around and look at the exact same stuff that's there every time I go in. When the guy at the counter asked if I need help I just asked him for a can of Finger Ease. He doesn't even look and says "oh man, we don't have any of that..." I said, "well I'm not trying to be a jerk, but isn't that a whole box behind you?". "Oh wow...that must have came in today....I'm sorry" he says #-o

I guess I didn't make myself clear, it was a time issue. I was leaving for Spain in three days and I can't buy Egnator gear in Spain... I have a Rebel 20 with 2 x 12 cabinets but I wanted the Rebel 30 for the two channels and some other goodies that the 30 has.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, it was a time issue. I was leaving for Spain in three days and I can't buy Egnator gear in Spain... I have a Rebel 20 with 2 x 12 cabinets but I wanted the Rebel 30 for the two channels and some other goodies that the 30 has.

I still would have walked away...patience is a virtue so they say! ;) [flapper]

But again...glad its working for you now and you're rockin with it!

Put it to them this way Dave.

What did you pay in the US for the Rebel 30?

What would you pay to have one imported into Spain?

How much did you save even after spending $50 on new tubes?

I dont think you did the wrong thing not only did you obviously save some decent coin to make purchasing the floor model, and I didnt feel like your initial post was an attack or anything on GC. It was just a story of your experience with them in regards to your amp purchase. Heck I was so happy with my Marshall purchase I was bragging about it, although in the good way, I am sure people were ready to shove that amp up my butt. From what I have read on tubes they can be as temperamental as a light bulb and can burn out just as easy, heavy vibrations also drastically reduce tube life rumor has it. Maybe it came with defective tubes from the factory, GC doesn't make the products they sell so they have no quality control in that aspect. Sure they could hire an amp doctor to look over every amp before it walks out the door but then prices go up. C'est la vie, so is life.

I go into Guitar Center in San Antonio Texas looking for a Rebel 30 head. They only had a floor model that we couldn't get working at first... ](*,) We tried switching the guitar cord a couple time and after some tinkering the sales girl got it to work. I didn't have time to wait for a new boxed one to come in so I took the floor model with a discount... :-({|=

The sales girl was just going to send me away with the amp head with no paperwork, no carry bag and no foot switch... I was like, wait a minute there is some stuff missing. She told me lots of times when stuff gets taken out of the boxes at Guitar Center what ever is left in the box usually get thrown out. Hugh??? I said I thought that was a messed up policy and she told me "Yeah that's why I stopped being a Guitar Center customer 4 years before I started working here". At least that made me feel better... NOT!!! Took her a while but she found all the missing stuff. Oh and the carry bag was missing the shoulder strap so I made her rob one from another Egnater travel bag. I'm pretty disappointed Guitar Center sold me that amp in the condition it was in. When I got it home to Spain and tried to fire it up I discovered the problem was in the EL 84 tubes. One or both of them was shorted out, blew the fuse... [scared] I ended up replacing the fuse and the two EL 84s at an addition cost of $50.... [cursing]

Happily it's up and running now and sounds great!

You know I'm not at all surprised with what you went through. Shopping in Guitar Center is like shopping at Frys electronics. Every sales associates and managers are Morons. You need to play them and demand what you paid for. They sell gear priced as new and what ever accessories it was to come with from the factory. Never let them cut you short and it is always a good idea knowing what gear is suppose to come with when or if you decide to buy it from GC. I always, tell them that I can get this gear for the same price online with all the factory equipped accessories and in the box for the same price. Always make sure you mean business and are not afraid to walk out.

One time, I went to the Sherman Oaks, CA GC and trying to make a purchase on a 70s reissue Fender strat. It was great playing and sound guitar, had that Hendrix vibe and look to it, color and all....nice. I said where is the 70s style case, black tolex with the 70s fender logo on the case and coily cord, fender strap, trem bar, and paper work. They said they will bring it down from the stock room. The sales guy, came down with the wrong case, it was the current plastic molded one with the wrong accessories. I said that was not the case for it and they argued it was. To make the long story short, I knew there was another local GC store that had the same guitar still in the box and I managed to get the price down to employees discount and purchased it, saved about $300. After leaving the store I drove to the other local GC and made an even exchanged with the one I got from the other store and got the one that was, still in the box, complete and with the actual case and all its accessories

Like I said play those fools.

Dave, never, ever buy a tube amp that has been a store demo, never.

The discount you may get will be just enough to get new tubes that by the way you will need.

Also, I have seen tube amps in stores, (different stores not just GC) where people have stolen tubes out of the amps or have tried to wiggle them out and quit before they got caught stealing.

I'm sorry to see that some of you have had bad experiences at GC, I must have a really good one here in Overland Park. Then again I haven't bought a floor model of anything before from there. The only real issue I have with GC is that they try to sell you the case that the damn guitar left the factory with separately (well, that and most kids in there crank the amps so loud you can't hear yourself play).

I'm sorry to see that some of you have had bad experiences at GC, I must have a really good one here in Overland Park. Then again I haven't bought a floor model of anything before from there. The only real issue I have with GC is that they try to sell you the case that the damn guitar left the factory with separately (well, that and most kids in there crank the amps so loud you can't hear yourself play).

Yup......The 'ol " The case is extra. " lie........

I'm about DONE with G.C...............................I'm about to become a ZZ Sound LOYAL customer........

San Antono Guitar center man they need help. management just doesnt have common sense.There is a guitar sales lady Miriam... she is a damn good person to talk to and she knows guitars and repairing guitars learned from a guy out of Katy , Texas

Yup......The 'ol " The case is extra. " lie........

I'm about DONE with G.C...............................I'm about to become a ZZ Sound LOYAL customer........

3 yrs ago in Birmingham Al. I was about to buy an Ebony Flying-V (not a faded), the clerk tells me "Man, those ROCK! I bought a faded Cherry V just last week!!"

I asked him to bring out the case, tags,manual, etc. & he got a strange look on his face......goes to the back, comes out a few minutes later & tells me...."That guitar doesn't come with a case".

It didn't take a nuclear physicist to figure out the problem, so I told him..."yes, it's not a faded, it comes with a case"

He goe's back to the back, and almost immediately comes back out with " I can't find the case for it, but i'll get you a really killer bag"......I almost went Chernobyl on him......

I told him as quietly as he could hear, "Maybe your manager can find it keeping your faded safe @ your house".......

Back to the back he goes.....and brings out a nice black snakeskin Gibson USA HSC.......I bought the guitar and left.......

When I looked at all the paperwork @ home I noticed, the case went with an ALPINE WHITE V... [rolleyes]

I got A case w/it so it's good by me.....but I wonder who finally got took for a case to make up the one he took....

I feel bad for not turning him in anyhow.....but 3 yrs is 30 in 16 yr old checkout clerk years.

[thumbup][thumbup] on Sweetwater !!!

I remember that Bender......Dang, unbelievable, yet true..........

As long as Sweetwater and ZZ Sounds will price match, and they will, I'm looking forward to meet them.....

Not to be a fuss budget, but budget the fuss I muss.

You bought the floor model, full well knowing it's deficiencies, i.e. it didn't work very well. Yeah, I agree that unless you knew there were parts missing when you worked the deal on price you had room to negotiate for replaced parts or a deeper discount. But the the fact that it didn't work well is YOUR problem. That's why it was discounted.

Archived