Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Frampton - "Black Hole Sun"

Searcy

It's pretty cliche to beat him up for the pretty hair and the live record, but that record sold more than God almighty himself could buy for a pretty good reason.

rct

Really cheesy. [blink]

Sorry, I have to agree.

Frampton is a killer player and did put the talk box on the map along with that Nazareth b!itch song, but it is silly. Not in a bad way; just makes me laugh. Like the first time I heard William Shatner singing Beatles and Dylan tunes. In my mind he is making fun of Soundgarden with that cover and I laugh harder.

Totally disagree with you there EVOL and dem00n.

Actually IMO it's a wonderful tribute to a great song performed by a great guitarist, and I'll bet Chris Cornell is more than pleased with Peter's version

Please don't get me wrong, I know it's a tribute and honoring of the song and I bet Soundgarden smiles ear to ear when they hear it, but don't you think that envelope like filter Frampton puts on his guitar sounds funny? Like ha, ha funny?

Sorry, I have to agree.

Frampton is a killer player and did put the talk box on the map along with that Nazareth b!itch song, but it is silly. Not in a bad way; just makes me laugh. Like the first time I heard William Shatner singing Beatles and Dylan tunes. In my mind he is making fun of Soundgarden with that cover and I laugh harder.

Yeah. I don't and never have listened to Frampton on my own free will, but that was like some joke thing. I literally burst out laughing when he started playing the melody

Sorry, but no thanks

Yeah. I don't and never have listened to Frampton on my own free will, but that was like some joke thing. I literally burst out laughing when he started playing the melody

Sorry, but no thanks

Nice job fred, you had to **** us over. [lol]

Please don't get me wrong, I know it's a tribute and honoring of the song and I bet Soundgarden smiles ear to ear when they hear it, but don't you think that envelope like filter Frampton puts on his guitar sounds funny? Like ha, ha funny?

Frampton has always used a wide array of tones, in the same way Joe Walsh does.... Which is why those two guys are great to see in concert, because you don't get the same thing twice, like one would attending a Vai or Satriani concert.... Don't get me wrong those guys are the best around, but for me they are a snooze-fest to see live

BEST FREAKING VERSION EVER.

Can someone explain if he was using a talk box before he started singing or was that a wah? I am at a loss on that one sounded a little to subtle to be a wah, wah gods chime in here please.

Edit: rct I think there are WAY more to add to that list of required listening.

I was in keeping with the previous posters reference to Frampton and Joe Walsh. Two great records of two great guitar players from a year or two of outSTANding live records.

rct

Pete's not only a great player but a great guy also. Very humble and a wonderful sense of humor.msp_thumbup.gif

His huge success with Comes Alive was almost impossible to followup and that 75-76 era was the zenith of his popularity.

Although he did try to commit career suicide with the Sgt. Pepper Movie. lol

Later in interviews he never resented that incredible ride or the fact that he wouldn't duplicate that world wide success in his music.

He just kept working. Making music, touring and pleasing his fans. I've seen him live 3 times and he's been excellent every time.

Love Peter Frampton. He and Alex Lifeson were my two main influences on learning guitar when I was younger. Even got a Voice Box because of Peter.

I bought a voice box because of Joe Walsh. Same box I believe.

Archived