Gibson Brands Forums

anyone else?

guitar_randy

Anyone else with a gibson les paul studio not content with the pickups?

To me,it seems good for heavier stuff,if using distortion where you don't so much rely on the guitar tone ,but more the pickups for like metal or real heavier rock,but guns n roses stuff and things like that,I just can't dial in things to get tone I think it should be.

Would 57 classics be best bet here or any ideas?

I've always thought the were versatile. Although more geared toward higher output/gain, I can get a passable vintage type sound from them. Especially on the 490R or rythym p/u. However, I've recently played a VOS with BB 1 and 2's and they much more authentic sounding and have noticeably less output than the 498T.

490/498...I love em!

Same pickups as in the LP Customs & SG Standards.

You're right' date=' they are ideal for heavier stuff...but at the same time, I find they can cover a wider range.[/quote']

What

he

said !!!

490/498...I love em!

Same pickups as in the LP Customs & SG Standards.

You're right' date=' they are ideal for heavier stuff...but at the same time, I find they can cover a wider range.[/quote']

Ditto. I love them in my CS Custom; they sound great for the heavier tones I tend to use with my band but also sound great clean through my old Fender Champ.

Would 57 classics be best bet here or any ideas?

I love the 57 Classics personally. They come stock in the SG 61 RI as well as the LP Traditional and uncovered in the Classic Antique when they made them. the 57s are the lowest output PUs Gibson makes... they've got a very creamy smooth tone, and are therefore great for playing Clean and at low gain settings, especially for genres such as country and soft electric blues (eg. Hendrix's "Little Wing"). BB Pro's are unevenly wound and therefore have a bit of a harsher edge. I personally love the Burstbucker Pros on my LP standard due to the fact that they can really growl, but if I want to clean up the tone all I have to do is turn down the volume on the Rhythm pickup. with 57s you can't make them any dirtier. as for the 490/498; they're good pickups that will give you a more contemporary sound. try all 3 and go with whatever you like best. Also, what's your playing style? that can make a huge difference in your pup selection.

Hope this helps.

I don't mind the neck pickup 490r,but the 498t just doesn't get what I want.I replaced the 498t in my sg standard ,and thought in the les paul I'd be ok with it,but I am thinking there has got to be something out there I'd prefer over the 498t.The 498t to me just dosen't define the mids and highs like I want.Also doesn't do clean well whatsoever.I have the 498t which I took out of my sg standard if anyone wants to trade,I'd listen to an offer.

Randy' date='

If you really like the 490r, Why not try the the matching 490t. That's what is in my SG special and I can't seem to let it go (ive tried to sell it twice to fund new guitars and I just couldn't do it.[/quote']

I have the 490t in my sg special faded.Its not bad,but little nasally sounding.It does tho have little more definition than the 498t

• 1 month later...
Randy' date='

If you really like the 490r, Why not try the the matching 490t. That's what is in my SG special and I can't seem to let it go (ive tried to sell it twice to fund new guitars and I just couldn't do it.[/quote']

I agree with you here. I took the 498t out of my studio and replaced it with a 490t and now I absolutely love my studio. The 498T is just to hot to play clean where as the 490T is great clean or overdriven.

Yep, the '57 Classics are definitely 'warmer' than the 490/498 but, like the other guys, I love the 490/498. I actually prefer them over any other Gibson humbucker for live situations because they are a bit hotter & brighter & they cut through the mix better than the others.

I've got 8 guitars with 490/498 & have no intention of replacing the pickups in any of them.

However, if you're looking for a warmer sound you might prefer the '57s or, better yet, the Burstbuckers.

Archived