Gibson Brands Forums

MAN!....Joe Pass was just........

jaxson50

I just can't get enough....sorry guys (and gal) Haven't seen anyone make it look so easy...and we know it isn't.

Great playing, so smooth and effortless, his fingers just seem to glide across the fretboard like hes a surfer just riding a wave. Roy is also one of the most underrated guitarists in my book, the man can pick with the best of them.

Joe Pass is one of those guys that debunks the myth that technique = no soul

While the man admitted he see's guitar as nothing more than a source of income (apparently his father pushed him so hard as a child to practice that he's lost all joy in playing guitar - he was forced to spend every waking moment outside of school practicing) I find he's one of the most soulful players out there.

I believe the liner notes to a Joe Pass cd I recently bought, written by a fellow musician that knew him, made a point of mentioning that Joe "HATED" the guitar. Something the author of the line notes said Joe told him one night when he observed while touring with Joe when he remarked about how he never saw Joe practice or even pick up a guitar off stage except in a recording studio.

He basically said that the only reason he plays guitar at all is that it was all he knew and didn't believe he could do anything else and get paid as well.

Sad that his father took all the joy out of it for him; but amazingly he somehow managed to put feeling into what he played. :)

Awesome Jax! You never failt o post some great, mellow stuff.

Loved those videos!! ES 175 GAS burning violently now.... Even more than before...

Knowing you Dave you'll cave to that GAS :P though I'd call you a lucky bastard for it

Pass had a rough life, too.

No matter how much practice as a kid, it takes an innate talent to play as he did. More than that, he knew why he did what he did in a technical sense through the music theory side.

His ability to play solo or as a backup to such as Ella was absolutely masterful.

I think too that even in his playing era he tended to be underplayed by "experts" when compared to other exceptional jazz players.

m

I will say that as a kid it was solely Joe Pass that inspired me to want to play jazz guitar.

During the early 80's I had the opportunity to see Joe in concert. He did a solo set, and then was joined by pianist Oscar Peterson for some duets. It was (without doubt) the most incredible display of musical genius I've ever seen.

I will say that as a kid it was solely Joe Pass that inspired me to want to play jazz guitar.

During the early 80's I had the opportunity to see Joe in concert. He did a solo set, and then was joined by pianist Oscar Peterson for some duets. It was (without doubt) the most incredible display of musical genius I've ever seen.

Joe and Oscar! Man what a show that must have been...

Archived