Gibson Brands Forums

Strat VS Les Paul

ekim

Hello,

I'm new here, who else would post a dumb question like this :)

Anyway, I have been a Fender guy for quite some time. The last Les Paul I had was about 30 years ago, and it was a "Raven" Les Paul copy. So, it doesn't even count.

The reason I joined here was to get some insight on making my next purchase. The other day I picked up a Les Paul Traditional series (the drilled one) and really like it!

Should I be trying any other models? Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Also currently I own:

1983 Fender Strat (2 knob)Seymour hotrail on bridge

1982 Fender Strat (Dan Smith)

2007 SRV Signiture Strat (trading in) dislike the 12inch tree trunk

1984 Ibanez Roadstar11

2004 MIM Strat (Stock)

Hello,

I'm new here, who else would post a dumb question like this :)

Anyway, I have been a Fender guy for quite some time. The last Les Paul I had was about 30 years ago, and it was a "Raven" Les Paul copy. So, it doesn't even count.

The reason I joined here was to get some insight on making my next purchase. The other day I picked up a Les Paul Traditional series (the drilled one) and really like it!

yes take your time and find the one that speaks to you

good luck

It is a whole new world if you have been playing Strats. I don't know what music you play, or amps and how you set them.

I got a flame top with p-90's. I was seduced into buying it (of corse). I know Strats and what they sound like, and use them for everything.

They are both six string electrics, but many things are different besides the feel. There are colors in the sound that you really can't know until you live with one. GOOD colors. There are things that the amp does with a Gibson that the Fenders do not do (and the other way around). After all these years and searching to find what sounds and tones I am good at, all the amps I have used, it is like finding my sound again, except completely on MY terms.

If you find one that calls to you and makes you want to play it and own it, it is well worth it just for the education.

It is a whole new world if you have been playing Strats. I don't know what music you play, or amps and how you set them.

I got a flame top with p-90's. I was seduced into buying it (of corse). I know Strats and what they sound like, and use them for everything.

They are both six string electrics, but many things are different besides the feel. There are colors in the sound that you really can't know until you live with one. GOOD colors. There are things that the amp does with a Gibson that the Fenders do not do (and the other way around). After all these years and searching to find what sounds and tones I am good at, all the amps I have used, it is like finding my sound again, except completely on MY terms.

If you find one that calls to you and makes you want to play it and own it, it is well worth it just for the education.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Funny you should mention P90's. I almost bought a strat off this dude that loves his ES335 with P90's. I listened to his demo and thought, wow! I love that sound he gets.

Here is a sample: Please try not to watch the lead singer! HAHA

I second the suggestion to play a few of them in a guitar store. See what feels right - there are multiple neck shapes. Hear what sounds right to you - there are plenty of pickup variations. I have 3 LPs and 3 Strats - they all sound and feel different and I like having the variety!

Well you warned about the lead singer, [scared]

I believe in a well rounded collection of guitars. I can't imagine you really need another Strat. If you don't like the neck on the SRV than you probably won't like a LP '50's neck.

I've got an Am Dlx HSS, Tele Thinline w/ P90's, Guild Starfire, and I'm looking for an LP with '50's neck. I figure I'll be pretty well covered then. Good luck.

As you will most likely find with strats, they are all different.

You will find the same thing with Les Pauls.

If you get the opportunity to try out a set of the same guitar do so.

You should notice one feels better over the other for some weird reason which I still can not explain.

...I'm new here, who else would post a dumb question like this :)

Nothing dumb about your question in the slightest. Quite the reverse.

The thing about Les Pauls is there is quite considerable variation between different examples even of the same model. One example of a Traditional may seem dead to you whilst another feels wonderful.

The most commonly given advice is 'play as many as you can find' as, corny as I know it sounds, there is one out there which will seem to be better (for you) than the rest, somehow.

FWIW, I came back to the LP fold after 24 years as a Strat player and the Pauls which I found most comfortable - fretting-hand-wise - were the ones with the '60s necks. These are slimmer front-to-back than the '50s ones which I found to be too much of a handful.

Good luck and post pictures when you find 'your' Lester.

In fact, post pictures of your Strats! Most everyone here likes to look at a nice Strat too. There's even a 'Post your Strat' thread in the lounge...

P.

Hello,

YES

- Not all Traditional`s are equal (both fat and thin neck versions available), so play as many as you can, to find the best example for you

- I suggest you also try a 08 Standard (unique neck, which is a combination of the 60 & 58 profile), as this is the one that works for me

- If you have the budget, I would also recommend you try a 1958 (fat neck) and 1960 (thin neck) reissue, as they are made by the Custom Shop part of Gibson and to the same spec as the originals

All the best and I hope you find what you are looking for.

I have a LP Studio and a LP Traditional Plus......both are sweet! But if you like hard rock, the LP Studios with the 490R/498T pickups REALLY rock! They are almost the hottest stock, non-active pickups I have heard in any guitar! But the 57 Classics in the traditional can crunch pretty darn good too....try a studio LP and several other models of LP's.....you may like the studio's, and they are about $1000 cheaper than the traditional :D

So anyway,I rented a 2002 Goldtop LP with a 58 neck. So far, it's not doing much for me. The strings are about 10,000 miles overdue...will change them and see if that helps.

I read that this is similar to the 2008 Traditional?

ha ha....erm my bad! ](*,)IMO, I guess my diplomacy took a rain check yesterday :rolleyes:

LOL!

Diplomacy taking a rain-check often leads to a wonderfully refreshing attack of Forthright Honest Opinion and not just the usual 'Political Correctness' prevalent everywhere these days....IMO.....

P.

when it becomes available the LP "Classic Faded" should be a GREAT LP at a very reasonable cost.

it's basically a version of what used to be the "Standard", but with less expensive ceramic 496r/500t p'ups (the same set used in the Flying-V) and a "faded"(non glossy) nitro finish, probably less expensive tuners as well, but i'm not sure.

from photos, it seems to have a bound body & neck, and trapezoid fb-inlays.

i'm chewing my lip raw wanting to "test drive" one.....

I may be wrong but I think that at this time only a few retailers are taking "pre-orders" but it's evidently not far away.

If you're in the states, check out the Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s. You won't be disappointed. Price is right to, and you get a body that is only weight relived. No chambering. Same weight as a Traditional. They play fantastic. And you can get a 50s or a 60s. The only difference being the neck profile and the 50s only comes in Iced Tea Burst. The PUPs are really nice too. Burstbucker in the bridge position. 490R in the Neck.

I have the 60s in Vintage and absolutely love it.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-60s-Exclusive.aspx

50s is a fat neck

60s is the same width side to side, but is slimmer front to back.

If you're in the states, check out the Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60s. You won't be disappointed. Price is right to, and you get a body that is only weight relived. No chambering. Same weight as a Traditional. They play fantastic. And you can get a 50s or a 60s. The only difference being the neck profile and the 50s only comes in Iced Tea Burst. The PUPs are really nice too. Burstbucker in the bridge position. 490R in the Neck.

I have the 60s in Vintage and absolutely love it.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Deluxe-60s-Exclusive.aspx

50s is a fat neck

60s is the same width side to side, but is slimmer front to back.

Great, I will check it out, thanks. A dude in my area is selling this one for $900, seems steep, no?

I think it's the FAT neck, which is not what I want.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/2615090445.html

Archived