Gibson Brands Forums

Funk legend Sly Stone now homeless and living out of a van in LA

tazzboy

I do feel sorry, for him. No one starts out, to become a drug addict!

Yes, he IS responsible, for all of his actions. Still, it's very sad,

that he has lost so much, due to drugs. To me, and I only speak for

myself, as always..."Drugs" (substance abuse) are/is killing this country

(world, even), in so many ways. And yeah, I "tried" some, for a very

short time, in the '60's. Thank GOD, I don't have an addictive personality.

(Except for guitars...and cameras...LOL) I don't even drink, or smoke any-

thing, anymore, and haven't since the summer of '72. I just never really

enjoyed it, I guess? But, to each his/her own...within reason. But, I know

people who aren't famous, who've lost everything, friends, family, personal

possesions, All of it! Not a pleasant thing to watch. So, yeah...I do feel

sorry, he allowed himself to succumb to that "monkey, on his back!"

CB

I do feel sorry, for him. No one starts out, to become a drug addict!

Yes, he IS responsible, for all of his actions. Still, it's very sad,

that he has lost so much, due to drugs. To me, and I only speak for

myself, as always..."Drugs" (substance abuse) are/is killing this country

(world, even), in so many ways. And yeah, I "tried" some, for a very

short time, in the '60's. Thank GOD, I don't have an addictive personality.

(Except for guitars...and cameras...LOL) I don't even drink, or smoke any-

thing, anymore, and haven't since the summer of '72. I just never really

enjoyed it, I guess? But, to each his/her own...within reason. But, I know

people who aren't famous, who've lost everything, friends, family, personal

possesions, All of it! Not a pleasant thing to watch. So, yeah...I do feel

sorry, he allowed himself to succumb to that "monkey, on his back!"

CB

+1

even though I'm only 19 I've seen friends completely ruin their lives with drugs. Seriously. It's really sad to watch. It's really mostly meth and heroin these days though. Although when I was walking through the tenderloin district in San Fran a few weeks ago I saw some crackheads who were pretty open about their addiction. That place is really scary.

I'd try to go find sly but I have a feeling he'd just want some money and his friends might wanna stab me.

What sad to me is that a guy that (along with James Brown)invented an entire music scene seems to have destroyed the mind that brought that into being. He didn't destroy it at 70 with a crack pipe. He did it long ago with PCP. A drug with nasty side effects that last forever. Is he to blame for his own mess? Yes, but it still makes me sad to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVOR28iG_o

What sad to me is that a guy that (along with James Brown)invented an entire music scene seems to have destroyed the mind that brought that into being. He didn't destroy it at 70 with a crack pipe. He did it long ago with PCP. A drug with nasty side effects that last forever. Is he to blame for his own mess? Yes, but it still makes me sad to see.

Many would say he is not to blame for his own mess. My oldest brother, my very closest and dearest cousin, my uncle, all were to blame for their own mess. All died essentially at their own hand, all way too young. Any social services agency, any tank you put them in, all of them should eventually tell you what we were told after my brothers third trip in at 42, and that is "...some people just don't want to be cured...".

Sly, like everyone else, is indeed to blame for his own mess. He had about twelve trillion times the money my brother, cousin, uncle had. He had all the time needed to get it together. He had career, fame, easy life to live. It just wasn't enough for him.

It's a shame, we'da gladly taken some of his time and money off his hands to help him not squander it, maybe that time and money would have helped just those three in my family, not to mention the other side, not to mention my wifes family, or all the families on my street trying as hard as they can to get through this life on whatever it is they can scrape by on.

So there he sits, in a van, prolly still hittin it up whenever he can. Stays up for couple days at a time it says. "recording". Yeah. Right. Been there, heard it all, done that. I got no sadness for him, just a sadness in general that people just can't get above it.

rct

Archived