Gibson Brands Forums

So any one here got a DAW or do recording at all?

cam011235

I record every new song I learn using Audacity. It's user friendly, it's free, and it does all I need it to do. I also have Garage Band, but I am still learning it. To me, GB is very complicated. Maybe I need to read the manual. I also have Band-in-a-Box/RealBand, but I only use it for accompanyment. I wouldn't even know how to use it as a DAW.

righty so any one here actually do recording at all or got a DAW? i understand no one uses pro tools but i just thought i would check if any one actually does record [confused]

Yes...I had a nice recording studio, which the ex-wife manage to steal some years back.....

I have a Roland VS880EX (retired), a Korg D3200 stand alone unit, Sonar X-1 Producer, BFD drums, Superior Drummer 2.0, REAPER, some Cubase (not used much),

around 60 guitars, and lots of other stuff....I do not have a full set-up right now, but a partial set-up.....I record my own rough demos, I do some demo work for and with

others, I do song writing for others, and I have as much "work" as I can handle....For my "pro" recordings, I record the tracks and have "pros" do the mixing and

mastering.......................Affordable, but expensive for me as I'm on a disability income.........Music, art, law, and my family is what my life is about.......................

About Pro Tools....There's a "love / hate " thing with Pro Tools....The engineers I know who use Pro Tools also use other DAWS as well....Different DAWS are

better at different things.............................

cool yeah i find pro tools a bit daunting at times its a very powerful app but i am not sure if i get into the power features its known for it engineering software and takes a fair bit of training so i will persevere ..i am only really using the basics need to keep learning ..avid forum is ok but is huge and also full of trolls..

thats a nice setup damian that roland sounds nice ..it certainly sucks up the bucks eh you got up to project studio level i still got away to go but still alot can be done these days in home studios..i have often wondered about cubase i need to check it out theres a workshop on cubase where i live might have a look

one thing i have learnt is that those engineers really know their sh*t..man its complex i got a lot to learn thats y i was hoping there were some people here..so i thought maybe start a thread about recording..garage band sounds tricky its sort of like that with pro tools its ok on a simple level but to get to the power features is a different things its not always obvious where every thing is hidden

Cam, the more I learn about recording, and recording "secrets", the less I know......[crying] ....

its like that i feel like i opened a can of worms sometimes but it gives the ability write music which i really dig..these days at home you can sit down record your tracks bounce it down and have it on the web all in a session its amazing i have done recorded a track finished it sort of and had all around the world in different places in a matter of hours ..for a dude that used to play in punk bands in the 80s that is amazing haha i love it but yeah its tricky for sure theres alot to learn..and its costing me a lot too but the creative urge is strong

I use Logic Pro with a Zoom R16, a Shure SM57, MXL R44 and a Superlux drum kit mic set. I've been fiddling with this recording business for over a year now, and it's one of the greatest things I know. I must've been a recording engineer in an earlier life...

Too bad I rarely get time to get together with my band and record though. We've got a couple of songs done, but I'd rather wait 'til we're more or less done with an album/EP before I upload them somewhere.

I use Logic Pro with a Zoom R16, a Shure SM57, MXL R44 and a Superlux drum kit mic set. I've been fiddling with this recording business for over a year now, and it's one of the greatest things I know. I must've been a recording engineer in an earlier life...

Too bad I rarely get time to get together with my band and record though. We've got a couple of songs done, but I'd rather wait 'til we're more or less done with an album/EP before I upload them somewhere.

sounds good i thought about getting a 57 they are great intstrument mikes but i am DIing my line 6 into mbox ..i got a 58 as i got sound problems i live necxt to a busy road so i will get a condesnor when i am set up properly ..it is great on a creative level i get a bit frustrated messing round with gear allt he time getting it set right i want to play more and fiddle with gear less but its all part of it i just got to keep learning and adapting

hey where are you from if you dont mind me asking you from NZ or sweden? haha i sort of got this idea of a kiwi in sweden..man i used to know some hot swedish girls travweling out here when i lived in the tropics..it is my lifes dream to be a session guitarist in sweden haha [biggrin] those schandanavioan women are smoking hot [razz]

sounds good i thought about getting a 57 they are great intstrument mikes but i am DIing my line 6 into mbox ..i got a 58 as i got sound problems i live necxt to a busy road so i will get a condesnor when i am set up properly ..it is great on a creative level i get a bit frustrated messing round with gear allt he time getting it set right i want to play more and fiddle with gear less but its all part of it i just got to keep learning and adapting

hey where are you from if you dont mind me asking you from NZ or sweden? haha i sort of got this idea of a kiwi in sweden..man i used to know some hot swedish girls travweling out here when i lived in the tropics..it is my lifes dream to be a session guitarist in sweden haha [biggrin] those schandanavioan women are smoking hot [razz]

Heh, funny you should say that. I'm actually Swedish, but I totally get why people would think I'm from NZ.

On topic:

I find that messing with the gear (to a certain extent, that is) almost fuels my creativity as much as actually recording something. Sometimes I even get ideas for songs based on how I want to mix it (like splicing in a guitar chorus in 5.1 with some delay on each channel in an otherwise 2.1-based mix). But I totally get what you mean if it's just for recording ideas before they get away. In those cases I usually just plug my drumkit (Roland V-drums) in through MIDI and guitar through a USB-cable I've got into Garageband, just to get a rough sketch down.

I use Pro Tools M-Powered 7.3....with an M-Audio Firewire 1814 interface....with a Shure SM57 mic...and an M-Audio Nova Condenser mic.

I would consider myself a novice Pro Tools user...i use many of the basic functions and some of the higher level ones (Buses, routing etc)...i learn more all the time.

That said, I can boot it up and start recording in under 1 minute...

TASCAM 2488, buncha mixers and junk to get all the amps and keys and DR-880 drum machine in. No computers, I sit at one all day.

rct

My dream is to get a totally analog setup one day, but they're so incredibly expensive. Once I win the lottery I'll build myself a tape-based studio with a Neve board and a bunch of API compressors and stuff... oh well, one can dream.

Tape is overrated. It was what it was, and it was all we had, so we knew no different. I wouldn't go back to tape for anything, but that's just me.

Neve is overrated, any decently put together console will do the job I guess.

Compressors are compressors, I've never been one to believe that Manley or Focusrite or Meek whatever super high dollar machine you can name was ever any better or any different than any other. They make it sound a certain way, and if you like that sound a certain way, it's for you and if not, it isn't. To me, none of them are worth the money or mystique they command.

I should point out I don't make hit records, so nothing I say matters!

rct

Currently using a Roland VS 1680. Thinking about getting into the new Pro Tools version 9 with the improved interface. I started out with an 8 track Fostex and right away found myself wishing I had more tracks to work with.

Yea, I do a bit of recording. Here's my signal flow...

I use a PreSonus FireStudio Mobile through a firewire cable into my MacBook Pro. I use PreSonus's DAW, Studio One (the free Artist version that comes with the Firestudio. Maybe someday I'll do the full upgrade to Studio One Pro, but $300 i dont even have is a lot to spend on something I dont use that much...)

As far as mics go, I got an AKG Perception 220 large-diaphragm condenser and a good ole Shure SM57. [thumbup]

I used to have a PreSonus TUBEPre tube mic preamp but it was noisy as hell through the FireStudio so I sent it back....

I use Logic on my Mac, and I also have a little Tascam recorder that is fun to play with.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a 24 track recorder, let me know: I have one that I'm thinking of selling. It's a Roland VS-2480 that doesn't get much use any more now that I use Logic.

Don

Guest farnsbarns

I have a Roland VST2400CD multitrack and mastering suite. I also have an MAudio 1010 multitrack sound card in a pc but I really only use that to output synth sections and drums from reason into the Roland without losing the individual tracks. I have a bag of cheap mics that I use in various configurations. I want to get a bag of SM57s too.

I have a Roland VST2400CD multitrack and mastering suite. I also have an MAudio 1010 multitrack sound card in a pc but I really only use that to output synth sections and drums from reason into the Roland without losing the individual tracks. I have a bag of cheap mics that I use in various configurations. I want to get a bag of SM57s too.

drum_mics.jpg

interested? :)

Got a bunch of mics that are fed into CUBASE. I never tried Pro Tools but they are probably about the same. What I like about CUBASE is that it 1) comes with a bunch of effects and 2) it comes with a bunch of synth sounds. I also use EZDrummer which is great to lay down the drum tracks.

I use Cubase LE 4 because it came free with my Zoom R16. It was daunting at first but I feel I know my way around the basics now. Getting it all set up with the hardest part. As I add mics/lines to my presets, I have to reteach myself all over again how to add/edit buses and all that jazz. I'm terrified of a day everything crashes and I need to do it all over again!

All that said, I'm so happy I finally got into it and started learning things. For someone who doesn't have others to jam with, being able to record like this is great.

I've got a Shure SM57, and Electrovoice Cardinal condenser, and the two on-board mics of the Zoom (which sound superb by the way).

Archived