Gibson Brands Forums

Motivation

davidl

I'm sure everyone suffers from lack of guitar playing motivation sometimes.

How do you overcome this?

I had been having a hard time getting going and then last night I was playing with a very accomplished guitarist and it all came together.

We had a blast.

I think I do my best with better players.

It was the same with sports. I tended to move up a notch when really challenged.

How do you folks deal with motivation challenges?

Dave

Depends on the circumstances sometimes. I've been playing off and on for the last forty years. When I started, I played all the time. Pretty steady. But there came a time, and I don't remember why, but the guitars sat around for the longest time. I didn't pick one up for five or six years. I had other things going on at the time, but the major thing I remember is that I had no motivation to play. I don't know why. But then, I started picking one up to see if I could remember what I used to know. And, all of a sudden, the fire started to flare up again. I started playing more often and really getting back into to it with a passion. Been playing religiously ever since. I've often thought about the time I spent without wanting to play, but still can't explain what happened or why.

Depends on the circumstances sometimes. I've been playing off and on for the last forty years. When I started, I played all the time. Pretty steady. But there came a time, and I don't remember why, but the guitars sat around for the longest time. I didn't pick one up for five or six years. I had other things going on at the time, but the major thing I remember is that I had no motivation to play. I don't know why. But then, I started picking one up to see if I could remember what I used to know. And, all of a sudden, the fire started to flare up again. I started playing more often and really getting back into to it with a passion. Been playing religiously ever since. I've often thought about the time I spent without wanting to play, but still can't explain what happened or why.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

I played quite a bit as a teenager, some 30 years ago and just stopped. Only picked it up again 2 years ago...with a vengance.

I play about 3 or 4 hours a week at best but I play much better than ever but still need a kick in the pants to get going sometimes.

Hang in there. Trust me, the passion will build. When I started back, it was almost a personal test to see if I could remember how to play what I used to know so well. And to see how much my callouses had softened. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been, considering the amount of time I hadn't played. And things started coming back to me. I started to feel the passion I had for playing again and it started to really take root. Even now, with a very hectic life, I still look forward to finding time to play, just for myself. I even keep a beater guitar out in the garage so I have something to pick up and play when I'm out having a smoke (I don't smoke in the house). And I play more now than I ever did. I still think about the years I gave it up completely and still can't explain how or why it got that way. It wasn't an intentional hiatus--it just stopped. But when it came back to me, like you said, it just came back with a vengeance. And I've slowly become more passionate about it than I have ever been.

And I've always been passionate about music. Thing about me is, I've almost always just played for my own enjoyment. I was in a few bands way back in the day, and it was fun. But nothing I ever thought I would make a living out of. I do a lot of writing, but have never been published. But like I said, I play for the sheer joy of making music. I've gotten to the point lately that it's never a chore to practice. I find myself wanting to play, so it's never something I have to try and force myself to do.

Sure wish I'd have felt that way when I was six years old and taking piano lessons (they only lasted two years)!msp_rolleyes.gif

" Motivation "..........Hmm....Great responses thus far.......In short, what motivates me now is, I HAVE to play; it's my therapy, and is

something I can do well....Since retiring on disability, my focus is music, art, and law, and my tiny family....I want to leave behind as

much art and music for others as I can...and I want it to be good....When not under duress or stress, or a bi-polar low, I can "practice"

hours a day...I've just begun to be able to get back playing hours a day......What also re-motivates me is being reminded that I can play..

I find Randyman's motivations fantastic......Sometimes, all it takes, IMHO, it just to pick up a d*mn guitar and play the d*amn thing......

Sure, that sounds simple, but it actually can be that simple................................

Well, when it happens to me, there are a couple methods I may look to.

Firstly, I delve into something musically foreign. This is how I came to love Indian Classical, early 20th C classical (though of course not exclusive to that era, but some of my favorites came about then), and a host of other genres. I might even look into the theory, or characteristics of the genre if I am loving it quite a bit. It almost always rekindles the urge to make music in me, and sometimes it alters what I look for when playing or listening. It's a great way to expand your musical knowledge, and reignite the love.

Somewhat related to the above, I'll grab a book, whether it be theory, or history (more often the latter). Sometimes the things you discover within the pages will give you a kick in the pants!

"A room without books is like a body without a soul" - Cicero

A bit more pricey, but oftentimes quite rapidly effective, grab some tickets to a show! When I see a fantastic group, I am twitching to get a hold on a guitar on the way home!

Buy yourself something new? Fiddling with a new pedal, guitar etc can definitely help.

If all else fails, just take a break, it should come back soon enough. Heck don't even listen to music for a few days, usually only takes one for me but the strings sound so much sweeter after a break.

You guys have all hit the nail on the head. But, when I started taking lessons again, I not only had a reason to pick up my guitar, but I also got better faster. When I am not motivated to practice, I force myself to play. Usually just warming up with scales is enough to get me going. Plus, I reserve a time every day (8 PM) to practice. Playing, for me, is like meditating.

"Motivations" are different, for different folks. I think we've all been

up and down with that. All I can say, is...keep at it, as long as you love

it, and can do it. I stopped, entirely, for 30+ years, only to have a movie

spark my interest, again...odd as that might sound. I lost out, on a lot of

guitar playing techniques, in that time. Now, being a LOT older, the "old"

fingers don't move, like they used to. My technique (what little I have) is

much better, now, than when I was a kid, as is my "taste," in playing. But,

it's nowhere near, what I could have been, had I remained motivated, and playing,

all that time.

So, do it, while you still can, and motivate yourself, any way you can...if you

truly love it!

Changing, or learning different styles of music, will help...a lot, both in learning

new techique(s), and keeping from the boredom of getting into a rut! Good Luck!

Cheers

CB

Everyone has good points but in reailty buying new gear helps a lot, well for me. [biggrin]

Something small like trying new guitar strings or a new pick works for me. A new pedal does wonders.

Yeah, d*mn it......That's why I have so many d*mn guitars.......[crying] :unsure: [sneaky][drool][blink] .....

( Looks like I'm gonna start collecting JoshAtlasStands now as well....[woot][love][cool] )

I was just talking about this with a friend of mine, he took the easy way out an bought a new guitar.

I like to switch instruments sometimes. Either you'll come up with something cool that you wouldn't have done on a Guitar, or you'll get so frustrated you'll want to grab your trusty, familiar guitar and stuff comes pouring.

Youtube excursion can do it, too. Look up one of your favorite songs, then without listening to it start checking out the stuff in the Related Videos. I've found some pretty inspiring stuff doing that.

Or, just don't do anything. Inspiration will strike when you least expect it.

It depends. Sometimes I'm super motivated, everything I do just fits together, and I'm able to pick up new material in a snap. Other times, like right now, everything just sounds wrong and I feel less motivation because of it. Lately I've been trying to learn to play more technical metal riffs, and they are just a miserable beast for me to get working. Simple, proudly-untechnical stuff like Rammstein, Bolt Thrower and Asphyx comes rather naturally to me, but lately I've been trying to play more Necrophagist, Origin, late-period Death, stuff like that, and I've just been having a miserably hard time of it. A large part of it is that I get less time to practice because I'm in class so much, and when I'm not in class my roommate (who's always in my room, for some reason) makes it extremely hard for me to practice in any useful capacity. My technique has slipped entirely and my ability to play by ear has gotten worse as well. I'm starting to pick up the pieces again, and I've been slowly working my way through the riffs on Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops and Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power. Those are coming along pretty well, but I can't get the Pantera solos down at all. My lead chops are dreadful, but I guess every band needs a solid rhythm guitarist, so whatever. I'll get better at lead guitar and more technical rhythm guitar in time. In addition, I just ordered the LickLibrary Dimebag Darrell DVD, so maybe that will help me move along a little. My seeming lack of skill (I seem to be worse now than I was four months ago!) has utterly killed my motivation. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some speed soon.

It's a little crass, but I can't help but feel that a new piece of gear would provide more motivation for me. I really want a new amp, but that'll have to wait while I save up some moneys.

Thanks for all the good responses folks.

It seems that once I get out to my cave, motivation isn't a problem. I enjoy spending most of my non working hours hanging out with my wife and almost feel guilty leaving to play guitar. She does not impose any guilt. Quite the contrary. Funny thing is, she has started taking lessons and is more religious about practice time than I am. She is also recently retired.

Now that she is coming along with some basic chords and is starting to put them together more comfortably, we can play together to some extent. This may be the motivation I need.

I must say that I do get inspired reading this forum as well. There is so much enthusiasm and dedication expressed here that it can't help but be contageous.

Oh yeah, new guitars are always exciting. I've bought 5 in the past 2 years and need to slow that down a bit. I'll try to limit that to one a year or so. My problem is that I just can't bring myself to sell any. Every one of them is different and special in some way.

Quite the conundrum.

Dave

I enjoy spending most of my non working hours hanging out with my wife and almost feel guilty leaving to play guitar. She does not impose any guilt. Quite the contrary. Funny thing is, she has started taking lessons and is more religious about practice time than I am. She is also recently retired.

Now that she is coming along with some basic chords and is starting to put them together more comfortably, we can play together to some extent.

Sounds like she's a keeper and then some [flapper]

I remember you mentioning that a while back, that sounds awesome! Sometimes coexisting musicians keep the other moving :). Glad to hear she's getting better

I guess for a long time I had absolutely no motivation (except all the money I spent). One day I played for someone and they smiled. It brought me back to my first guitar lessons, when my teacher would play something, and I just couldn't wipe the stupid grin off of my face, he was bringing to life what I had been hearing for a long time, it was truly amazing.

Now back to when I played for someone, I was just playing some riffs and He couldn't wipe the grin off his face, it made me feel good, that my playing could actually make someone happy rather than impressed.

Last night in a guitar center, I played the mario theme, people laughed (hopefully not at me) but it was good to make people laugh. So I guess my motivation is the reactions I get from people when I play for them.

Also, learning a hard riff is gratifying.

Similarly to some others here, I've played on and off for extended periods over 45 years. I also played acoustic guitar only when I played. I have been playing more seriously for about the last 15 years. I kick myself that I didn't play more seriously during those 45 years and play electric, because I know I'd be that much better now for it. I think that it is critical that a player have the equipment that he/she wants/needs to maintain motivation. I also think it is critical to get lessons early from a good instructor to lay the foundation for future progress. People also tend to lose interest when they begin to stagnate.

Archived