Gibson Brands Forums

Which Guitarist or Band Mainly Influenced Your Becoming A Player?

A add9

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin. When I was a kid, he used to play Beatles tunes on his acoustic for me and it was just too cool.

So I started playing acoustic. Was thinking of going to electric. I saw the Commodores' guitarist play the "Easy" solo with the fuzz on TV, and that settled it for me.

No idea. I think it was Alex Lifeson, Rory Gallagher and Alvin Lee.

Then I felt like giving it up for a while, but then Dimebag Darrell, Chuck Schuldiner and Marty Friedman brought my love of guitar roaring back to life.

EDIT: Brian May, too, now that I think about it. He was for sure the first guitarist I worshiped.

No idea. I think it was Alex Lifeson, Rory Gallagher and Alvin Lee.

Then I felt like giving it up for a while, but then Dimebag Darrell, Chuck Schuldiner and Marty Friedman brought my love of guitar roaring back to life.

EDIT: Brian May, too, now that I think about it. He was for sure the first guitarist I worshiped.

Marty is a monster. I like his work on the songs, Captive Honour, and High Speed Dirt

As a kid I was obsessed with the Beatles, and to this day their music still touches the soul, and works the emotions, but for me it wasn't about the guitar work., it was about the songs. George did play some tasty licks and riffs throughout their tenure though.

The Beatles! Everything/everyone else (for me) came after.

CB

When we stayed with my Uncle in Liverpool, I fell in love with his guitar. It was just a cheap 335 semi copy but the sound of the open strings amazed me! Then I discovered Randy Rhoads. His passion and continual wanting to get better really impressed me and still inspires me now. I know I am far from a metal guitarist LOL, but his attitude and style to me transcends the genre! So it would have to be Mr Rhoads. I just love his style!

Matt

I'd have to say AC/DC, Kiss, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath were my main inspirations to start the guitar.

Dream Theater, Ozzy's solo career, and Iron Maiden made me want to get better... then my style evolved out of a love all different types of things - primarily rock and metal from the 60's to the early 2000's and blues and jazz.

It's always a little tough to nail down exactly.

The first player to make me fantasize about playing guitar was Ace Frehley. The first song that I remember I specifically wanted to learn guitar just to play that song was "Sultans Of Swing". By the time I actually got a guitar and started learning, I wanted to try to play like EVH and Randy Rhoads. :rolleyes:

Randy was an influence on me as well, especially after the release of 'Diary of a Madman ' .

Over The Mountain, Believer, Tonight, S.A.T.O.have solo's and riffs that do it for me.

When we stayed with my Uncle in Liverpool, I fell in love with his guitar. It was just a cheap 335 semi copy but the sound of the open strings amazed me! Then I discovered Randy Rhoads. His passion and continual wanting to get better really impressed me and still inspires me now. I know I am far from a metal guitarist LOL, but his attitude and style to me transcends the genre! So it would have to be Mr Rhoads. I just love his style!

Matt

Randy was an influence on me as well, especially after the release of 'Diary of a Madman ' .

Over The Mountain, Believer, Tonight, S.A.T.O.have solo's and riffs that do it for me.

Cheers to a fellow RR fan!

Your screen name is also four chords before the end of the intro of Diary! How cool! A deliberate Randy - ism? [thumbup]

Matt

Archived