Gibson Brands Forums

How Do You Guys Rate Tom Sholz of Boston?

A add9

I think he should always be mentioned among the elite in terms of innovation, sound, production and technique. There was no mistaking a Boston song. What a clean and powerful sound he and his guitar produced. His solo's were always right in your face, with meaning, clarity, armies of harmonies, and attitude. Not just a bunch of pentatonic runs, and cliche licks. Their whole sound was breakthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VTE4ulSi4Y&feature=related

He's a genius. I once used a Rockman in the studio. It sounded great straight into the desk. I know people do that a lot now. But not in the early 80's.

Personally i'd rather wait a few years for an album and get a masterpiece than get the drivel we get now.

I saw Boston in concert twice at the Springfield Mass. civic center years ago and his sound was amazing and way out front,two great shows.Dam I traded my original rockman for a watch some 25 years ago, last I looked they were going for some good bucks on evilbay.I dont think he gets enough credit for not just his great playing but his contribution in his sound, enginering and production.

I respect the huge influence he has had on musicians and he could tear it up on the guitar, but I cannot take more than ten seconds of any Boston song. When I hear those guitar lead tones it feels like my ears are being assaulted by a belligerent preacher.

Funny, I was speaking about Boston and specifically him the other day with a songwriter friend of mine. We both commented on how he (they - Boston) had other careers and pursued their dreams to make an album a bit later in life than most. Fantastic.

I still have an original RockMan that I will never part with.msp_thumbup.gif

I got one when they first came out but lost in a move years ago *grumble grumble*. I still have the a/c power supply for it and the cable pack too.

Power supply might be for sale at the right price..........

I think he should always be mentioned among the elite in terms of innovation, sound, production and technique. There was no mistaking a Boston song. What a clean and powerful sound he and his guitar produced. His solo's were always right in your face, with meaning, clarity, armies of harmonies, and attitude. Not just a bunch of pentatonic runs, and cliche licks. Their whole sound was breakthrough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VTE4ulSi4Y&feature=related

i only know "more than a feeling" and that solo was pretty cool, never realy paid attention to their other stuff or tom sholz...he still around?

Awesome band... Sholz had a clue. As has been said, there is no mistaking a Boston song.

Funny... after their first album, they were dissed by the critics saying they could never reproduce that sound..... then dissed again after the release of "Don't Look Back" (only 2 years later) , those critics panned them for "sounding too much like the first album" :rolleyes:

Archived