Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead's latest opus

mcmurray

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i uhh dont like bucket head either... but not because he wears a bucket on his head, because his music is lifeless to my ears, he has fun doing strange things with a kill switch and it sounds neat, but its just not exaclty soulful, he can shred thats for sure, it just comes across as very regurgitated.

to each their own

This is a fair statement, thanks for joining the conversation :)

btw did you listen to the tune posted? Very little shred in there.

Ive never been a fan of Buckethead either. But it's not because of his skill or even his music, I have actually heard some stuff of his on here that I enjoyed, like the song on this original post. It might be weird but I just can't understand or enjoy the whole concept of the Bucket, the nun-chucks as well as all his weird stories about being raised by chickens and everything else. It's totally his call and maybe it helped him get noticed or something originally but it just seems so fake or something for somebody with real talent. I just can't enjoy watching him or even really accepting him as an artist because of it. I can't understand why somebody with his level of talent and abilities would do that. Maybe I'm just too old or something and I miss the whole concept he's going for [confused].

I actually have a set of limited edition of 13 cd's called (In search of) that he did the original art for on the covers (each cd is different) and he's kind of an interesting artist as well as a very prodigious writer and player. I'd just be able to take him a lot more seriously and enjoy him more if he lost all the Buckethead related circus and just played his guitar.

You can all burn me in effigy for what I said now if you like but that's my opinion on the whole Buckethead argument.

retro...i totally understand what you are saying and i don't think anyone expects everyone to "get it"...

But I do find it a little silly that what someone is wearing should turn you off to their music. He plays a character much like Alice Cooper did...like Kiss did. For me, it does not take away from the music, but it adds to it. There is a whole backstory and characters in his universe. Its fiction! :)

That said, if someone doesn't dig his music, its all good to me. I'm surprised that you got the 13 CD set though...not many non-fans even know about that one. Its largely a collection of jam/noodle tracks. Its actually one of my least fav releases by Buckethead over his career. I bust it out once/year maybe and listen to about a cd's worth of music from it.

I wonder if someone played you some Buckethead without telling you it was him if your thoughts on the music would be any different. Its funny to me that image can destroy the music...but thats a whole other topic.

As for burning you in effigy for speaking your opinion respectfully? Never...there is nothing wrong with your post.

Cheers!

...I wonder if someone played you some Buckethead without telling you it was him if your thoughts on the music would be any different...

I've thought about that aspect of it since I first listened to the track yesterday.

If someone played me certain well-selected snippets from the track posted I'd have guessed it might be some previously unreleased Hendrix jam-noodling. And, in contrast to much of the treatment frequently dished out to BH, I've rarely come across people on a guitar forum bad-mouthing Hendrix to any great extent.

Anyone who has posted an 'opinion' here without first listening to the track are posting from a position of ignorance - and I don't mean that as an insult; I mean it literally.

Clearly (as evidenced by their posts) there have been a couple so far. This is a bit of a shame. They should, perhaps, give the track a few minutes of their time. It might change their point of view. It might not. But at least they will be able to speak from an informed position.

Who knows? They might even come away with a new found respect for BH as a musician. Even better; they might discover they like the music.

Just my $0.02.

P.

I love the new jam. If anyone has the chance to see him live go for it. He'll blow you away.

I think the cool thing about BH is he has something for everyone. He incorporates some many different styles into his playing that your bound to find something you dig. A lot of guitarest get stuck in a little box of one genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USlnfTGlhXc

I listened to the track before I posted and it's not for me. His image has nothing to do with it for me, I actually find it funny. It's just something about his style, though now that I think of it I did like a few of the things he did with Primus.

As for the bucket I figure at some point he'll take the bucket off, tour for about ten years then when he starts to get old looking he'll put the bucket back on.... like KISS. [biggrin]

i bought 3 BH albums in the hope that i'd "get" his music...but i don't, sure he has more talent in his little finger than i have as a whole but i still can't "connect" with his playing...the man is a monster on guitar though no doubt about it B)

i bought 3 BH albums in the hope that i'd "get" his music...but i don't, sure he has more talent in his little finger than i have as a whole but i still can't "connect" with his playing...the man is a monster on guitar though no doubt about it B)

I think we've asked you before, but which 3 albums do you have?

no soul or tone????? what???

i've always found B/H easier to listen to than try to watch, and i'm lovin' this "New Opus"!!

I was hearing Gilmour,Santana,& Jimi....playing thru a rig the 3 set up together.

new tone's really good, for what he plays

just my 2c worth........

Archived