Gibson Brands Forums

why the strings mounted reverse on some stop-bar Les Paul

awel

Top wrapping is something that will forever be debated amongst Gibson players. Some people say that screwing the tail piece down to the body, and top wrapping increases sustain. Also, fans os top wrapping say that it decreases the angle of the strings coming off the bridge to the tail piece and that makes for easier bends. I personally have top wrapped, and honestly I can't tell any improvement with sustain or easier bends. One thing (this is what made me stop top wrapping) is I did notice the strings started to dig into the chrome on the stop bar and potentially start chipping it away. I immediately changed back to having my strings straight through the tail piece. There have been a lot of threads started about this way to string up your guitar. I'd recommend doing a search for 'top wrapping' or something. Cheers.

Top wrapping is something that will forever be debated amongst Gibson players. Some people say that screwing the tail piece down to the body, and top wrapping increases sustain. Also, fans os top wrapping say that it decreases the angle of the strings coming off the bridge to the tail piece and that makes for easier bends. I personally have top wrapped, and honestly I can't tell any improvement with sustain or easier bends. One thing (this is what made me stop top wrapping) is I did notice the strings started to dig into the chrome on the stop bar and potentially start chipping it away. I immediately changed back to having my strings straight through the tail piece. There have been a lot of threads started about this way to string up your guitar. I'd recommend doing a search for 'top wrapping' or something. Cheers.

+1, I've had the same exact experience.

I have found this tread, so to me no sense to try, there are people for and against.

I was just wondering why the bonammassa signature was mounted like that :)

Thanks

Top wrapping... another internet legend. :rolleyes:

It improves tone and talent.

Are those plastic saddles or are they glass? [confused]

it's plastic, don't know why, a friend of mine has this Bonamassa aged signature, I have asked him but he does know neither.

Top wrapping has an interesting history...Both in it's design, and in the players whom have/still do, top wrap Les Pauls......

There are some great looking bridges designed for top wrapping.......( with adustability )......

If it really increased sustain, or made the instrument better in any way....wouldn't you think everyone would be doing it? Also, if it made an improvement, why hasn't Gibson guitars came factory set up like that? It is just a way that people who feel the stop piece needs to be tight against the body can do so and still have proper string angle over the bridge. All it will do is mess up your stop bar. I can tell you 100% that having the stop bar tightened all the way down, or backed out almost all the way, makes NO difference in tone or sustain. ;) If it is wrong, you will hear little sympathetic buzzes when you play certain notes, where the strings vibrate between the bridge and tail piece.

If it really increased sustain, or made the instrument better in any way....wouldn't you think everyone would be doing it? Also, if it made an improvement, why hasn't Gibson guitars came factory set up like that? It is just a way that people who feel the stop piece needs to be tight against the body can do so and still have proper string angle over the bridge. All it will do is mess up your stop bar. I can tell you 100% that having the stop bar tightened all the way down, or backed out almost all the way, makes NO difference in tone or sustain. ;) If it is wrong, you will hear little sympathetic buzzes when you play certain notes, where the strings vibrate between the bridge and tail piece.

For Your Information, the Bonamassa signature (the aged one not the studio) is factory top wrapping.

Just sayin';)

I have seen strings mounted this way a lot of time on some Les Paul, is there any reason, and is it a normal stop-bar or a special one?

<pic snip>

It's a regular stop-bar. As for as the reason: the players that like it report better tone, sustain and playability (easier bends).

Some like it over, some don't. The design ideas are: the headstock angle increases the downward force on the nut; the stop bar is height adjustable to allow the player their preference of either more downward pressure on the saddles (low), or less pressure on the saddles (high, like a top-wrap). The top-wrap does allow more string contact with the stop-bar, but some would argue the contact with the saddles is the most import aspect of this equation (just pluck a string between the saddle and stop-bar to see what it sounds like). So the saddles and the material they're made of, as well as the bridge the saddles are mounted in are important. Some players like the stop bar all the way down. Some like it down but avoid the strings touching the back of the bridge (especially on an ABR-1). On an acoustic, it's generally accepted that when the brake angle gets too obtuse, it's time of a neck reset. I play both acoustic and electric and prefer a sharper break angle over the saddle/s which some would say gives you more downward pressure resulting in better vibration transmission, tone and sustain - - as I mentioned, some would say these are the same benefits of top-wrapping. This subject has seen a couple passionate debates on this forum.

BTW - There was just a question about this over in the Semi/Hollow subforum - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76643-stopbar-tailpiece-question/ - only a couple of comments

;) If it is wrong, you will hear little sympathetic buzzes when you play certain notes, where the strings vibrate between the bridge and tail piece.

I always hear "Little sympathetic buzzes" whenever I play any notes.....It's the sound of people shaking their heads and leaving the room,

usually muttering, " Damian's a pentatonic wanker. " [confused][crying] :unsure: [scared] :blink: [lol] .........

I also tried top wrapping Les Pauls.....Didn't do anything for my tone, or lack of talent..........

I have found this tread, so to me no sense to try, there are people for and against.

I was just wondering why the bonammassa signature was mounted like that :)

Thanks

Sorry I misunderstood your question. My bad. I think if the Bonamassa signature model is strung that way, it's probably because that is how the guitar he uses is strung (I don't know much about his guitar, so check me on that).

Nylon, duh, I didn't think about it

A lot of 50's Gibsons had nylon nuts, my R8 has one, I guess a nylon saddle would work just fine.

The issue I see is that a saddle is a moving part, not sure how the thread for the screw would hold up.

Archived