Gibson Brands Forums

classic songs you CAN'T stand anymore...

S t e v e

No offense to BTO, but this song literally gives me indigestion. Did I always hate it? Hell no.... I actually used to love classic rock radio, before it was classic rock.

Funny enough, my band is playing this. I hope I get hit by a flying beer bottle.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume you're talking about songs we once liked, but now can't stand because of thirty years of repetiton on the radio, as opposed to things I hated from day one ( e.g. Hot Blooded" by Foreigner, IMO one of the most cynical pieces of corporate stadium/fm radio music ever written). I must admit that I don't listen to broadcast "classic rock" stations anymore because of the repetitive and limited playlists. The internet only stations covering the same format are much better in terms of diversity. However in the spirit of the question:

[1] I played "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles probably 200 times in the 70's as the opening number of my cover band's set. Sends me screaming up the wall;

[2] Ditto "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner, for the same reason, plus it sucked the first time I played it, let alone the 100th;

[3] Any of the Skynard classics, which I liked at the time, but have to be the most overplayed tracks on classic rock radio;

[4] I must confess to being a Yes fan, but there are Yes tracks equally interesting if not better than "Roundabout" and "Long Distance Runaround" and an occaional "All Good People" which are played to death.

[5] Yep, good ol "Takin' Care of Business" by BTO

I one discussed this question with a local radio exec, who told me that playlists are determined largely by "tuneover" and "tuneout" listening tests. Thay grab random people off the street who are interested in a particular genre and test what songs will attract them to a station and keep them there. The resultant theory is that, to attact a listener, a station must be playing a well-known song when the listener tunes over it. To retain the captured listner, the station cannot subsequently play anything the listner may dislike. Most listeners dislike any unfamiliar track, and two unfamilar tracks in a row is generally fatal to a listener's attention. The averege test subject is familiar with a lot less songs that I would guess the members of this board are. Result - the tests tell station programmers thay must constantly repeat the same limited selection of well known tunes to gain the maximum listenership. Actual Result - those of us who know more than 50 songs find the radio intolerable.

No offense to BTO, but this song literally gives me indigestion. Did I always hate it? Hell no.... I actually used to love classic rock radio, before it was classic rock.

Funny enough, my band is playing this. I hope I get hit by a flying beer bottle.

lol...hit by a flying beer bottle by someone else that hates the song and is "taking care of business" - yes, pun intended. lol

I assume you're talking about songs we once liked, but now can't stand because of thirty years of repetiton on the radio, as opposed to things I hated from day one ( e.g. Hot Blooded" by Foreigner, IMO one of the most cynical pieces of corporate stadium/fm radio music ever written). I must admit that I don't listen to broadcast "classic rock" stations anymore because of the repetitive and limited playlists. The internet only stations covering the same format are much better in terms of diversity. However in the spirit of the question:

[1] I played "Lyin' Eyes" by the Eagles probably 200 times in the 70's as the opening number of my cover band's set. Sends me screaming up the wall;

[2] Ditto "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner, for the same reason, plus it sucked the first time I played it, let alone the 100th;

[3] Any of the Skynard classics, which I liked at the time, but have to be the most overplayed tracks on classic rock radio;

[4] I must confess to being a Yes fan, but there are Yes tracks equally interesting if not better than "Roundabout" and "Long Distance Runaround" and an occaional "All Good People" which are played to death.

[5] Yep, good ol "Takin' Care of Business" by BTO

I one discussed this question with a local radio exec, who told me that playlists are determined largely by "tuneover" and "tuneout" listening tests. Thay grab random people off the street who are interested in a particular genre and test what songs will attract them to a station and keep them there. The resultant theory is that, to attact a listener, a station must be playing a well-known song when the listener tunes over it. To retain the captured listner, the station cannot subsequently play anything the listner may dislike. Most listeners dislike any unfamiliar track, and two unfamilar tracks in a row is generally fatal to a listener's attention. The averege test subject is familiar with a lot less songs that I would guess the members of this board are. Result - the tests tell station programmers thay must constantly repeat the same limited selection of well known tunes to gain the maximum listenership. Actual Result - those of us who know more than 50 songs find the radio intolerable.

Maybe this explains why I would prefer to play one of hundreds of cd's, 1000's of mp3's, or dozens of records and the handfull of cassettes I own than turn on the radio. It allows me to escape what many percieve as inescapable...there was a reason that I refused for many years to learn Stairway to Heaven (a co-worker paid me $200 just to play that one song at her wedding and got on her knees and begged me to do it) and anything by The Tragically Hip...not only was it easy to find on the radio at any given moment in my city; but every bar that booked live enterainment or had a juke box was playing their music.

We actually used to state at our gigs and put on posters that if you expected to hear The Tragically Hip you came to see the wrong band. Our goal was to offer something different because while lots of people would request their music; there was a whole group that was sick to death of them and needed a refuge and bars that booked us got their business. lol

Some bars gave us a hard time about our refusal to play songs from the most popular band of the time and I guess they didn't necessarily lose money by passing on us, but the ones that booked us didn't do any worse.

@ First Measure: I have subscribed to Sirius Satellite for several years now and I know where you're coming from regarding repetitive playlists but I only have found that in the 60s,70s and 80s stations.Little Steven's Underground Garage and Deep Tracks play songs from the classic era but are more likely to play King Crimson,Uriah Heep,Wishbone Ash etc. and other great bands from that time.I have given up fully on commercial radio as all they play of any genre is the bland,insipid mass produced pablum they've been force feeding the public with for years. Whenever I go anywhere I take the car kit for my satellite radio or a pile of CDs if I'm going on a road trip.

Another great station that I use while on the computer is LastFM.With LastFM you type in an artist that you like and they play that artist in rotation as well as other artists in that genre.I have come across some great music by listening to LastFM.

So much of the classic rock radio stuff has been beaten to death. I agree with most of those already posted here. I remember reading a comment once - the gist was... "once you remember all the notes by heart, what's the point in listening to the song ever again?" However, I find some songs hold up better than others. I can listen to Free's "All Right Now" when it comes on and it's been played to death. So why do some hold up better than others?

On a related note, to avoid the repetition of classic rock radio (and I do love me some classic rock) I often listen to "Deep Tracks" on the satellite radio in the car. Whereupon my wife tells me "perhaps they are deep tracks for a reason" or some comment similar in sentiment. [biggrin] Guess some prefer similarity whole others prefer something fresher.

On a related note, to avoid the repetition of classic rock radio (and I do love me some classic rock) I often listen to "Deep Tracks" on the satellite radio in the car. Whereupon my wife tells me "perhaps they are deep tracks for a reason" or some comment similar in sentiment. [biggrin] Guess some prefer similarity whole others prefer something fresher.

Deep Tracks is good.

It's the second station on my programmed stations.

I also have been into Bluesville and Outlaw Country as well as Boneyard.

Anyway, sorry for the derail.

Carry on.

Stairway to Heaven.

Tired of that since the late 70's. Eesh.

A local FM station used to play a truncated version with the opening acoustic and then would switch to the Plant's

vocal, "to Heaven". lLasted maybe 30 seconds. Funny. Even they got tired o playing it and having it requested.

There are a few Steve Miller songs we've missed too. [flapper]

I must say though in defense of classic rock (dad rock [glare]), there's a reason some of these songs get overplayed. They're good! We actually have what I consider a very good classic rock station in my area (100.7 The Bay). Yeah, you will still hear "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and stuff like that, but they do a good job of mixing in deeper cuts also. They also play songs by some great old classic local bands from the 70s and 80s that were big around here if not nationally. I think it helps that the station isn't owned by Clear Channel. :-k

Used to like "Free Ride". Burned out on it now due to over rotation on local Classic Rock stations. With all the great songs out there, why do they just take a handful and run them into the ground?

I think it's because radio stations, and most cover bands for that matter, make their decisions out of fear. They're afraid someone won't recognize the music and change the station or leave the bar. Or it's too difficult to play, or that other station or band didn't play it. Or that other station or band Did play those tunes and got a good reaction, so should we :rolleyes:

It's next to impossible to convince other cover bands I know that adventure mixed with recognition and a passion for music is what the audience picks up on, not just familiarity.

If your making a playlist, whether it's for Radio or a set list for a Gig, you have to trust yourself as the entertainer. You can't ask your audience, they're just not that into it. They may say they like this or that song best, but the truth is they don't even know the names of half the songs they like.

Next time you're in the situation ask the audience what Zeppelin Song they want, then play "What Is and What Should Never Be". They'll say "I love that song, what's it called?" :rolleyes:

I guess what I'm saying is, if we (D.J. or Cover Artists) expect the audience to know music better than we do, we're not doing out jobs very well.

Tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree

ARRRRRGHHHHHH!!!

ROGER - You have just re-awakened a traumatic suppressed memory from my four years of playing in a workingmen's club "pops and standards" band in the 70's.

You also made me remember playing "knock three times" every weekend for several years. I am now filled with self-loathing and disgust and will never feel the same about the Les Paul I purchased with the money.....

Martin...

You stink. <chortle>

Sorry, but I still love the two Ovations, Guild SG type and the 175 I bought with saloon band cash in the same era. And the big tube amp ... and the...

OTOH... Yeah, Tie a Yellow Ribbon almost makes me gag nowadays too.

m

Smile...Whenever I hear "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" it makes me think of

all the times I've heard it, in "Karaoke bars" (usually inside Asian Hostess clubs),

when Asian business men, would sing, in their best, and most heartfelt "English"

...with Asian accents. I guess, it's because I only heard that song, in those places.

I don't, and never would, have it on record, or CD, and never listen to radio, anyway.

So, that was the only time(s), I ever heard that song, beyond when it was "poplular"

on AM radio...way back when. [tongue]

CB

Okay, I have one more to add to the list, PROUD MARY. Whoa I got sick of playing that song years ago. Whenever a rock band was asked to do a country song they would play that and when ever a country band was asked to play a rock song they would play that. Geeeeeez!

Archived