Gibson Brands Forums

ZZ Top

FirstMeasure

gotta love ZZ Top.

I have a guitar pick from Billy Gibbons that he tossed in the crowd when I saw them at RockFest 1999 in Shediac New Brunsick, Canada. The only pick he tossed out in the entire show and because I was right in front of him the whole show I was lucky enough to get the pick(actually the whole day's bands I was at front row...didn't even use the bathroom).

It was funny because my drummer and I were doing the Wayne's World "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!" bow. In the middle of the solo for Sharp Dressed Man, Billy looked down and saw us, smiled and tossed the pick and finished the solo with his fingers. It landed on my drummer's shoulder and I grabbed it. :)

They were one of the most amazing live acts I've ever seen. I think only Metallica, Jeff Beck, Kansas, Collective Soul, Kiss, and Alice Cooper would be considered comparable out of all the shows I've seen.

ZZ makes Great Road Trippin' Music

Listen to the this one with headphones on. [thumbup]

Is that safe? Sounds like a traffic violation for sure! [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDG9EtMD70k

And the Coolest Riff ever written B)

Always been one of my favorite ZZ songs - though I love the live side of that album sooooo much! What a killer tone.

To me, outside of Fandango, they never put out great albums, but after 30 odd years, they have a huge amount of great music. I can't get into anything after the MTV era. The earlier stuff is fantastic!. It has a certain flavor to it. I painstakingly ripped my vinyl albums into mp3s before they were available on CD. I still have many as Blue Jean Blues sounds sooo good with the pops and scratches. When the early stuff was released on CD, for some reason it was "modernized" to make it sound like their current stuff and it lost it's signature sound. Later the music was released as originally recorded. Billy Gibbons is an American Treasure.....

ZZTop_Old2.jpg

I find most people who aren't into ZZ Top complain that their music all sounds the same.

While it is somewhat true, I find it's not exactly accurate. Their greatest hits all have a distinct sound. You can identify that song within a few moments of hearing the opening riff. You could also identify the songs just by the guitar solo.

I think it's more accurate to say they have a distinct style all their own. A signature sound that does not change even though the songs themselves on a closer look are all very different within the blues rock context.

gotta love ZZ Top.

I have a guitar pick from Billy Gibbons that he tossed in the crowd when I saw them at RockFest 1999 in Shediac New Brunsick, Canada. The only pick he tossed out in the entire show and because I was right in front of him the whole show I was lucky enough to get the pick(actually the whole day's bands I was at front row...didn't even use the bathroom).

It was funny because my drummer and I were doing the Wayne's World "WE'RE NOT WORTHY!" bow. In the middle of the solo for Sharp Dressed Man, Billy looked down and saw us, smiled and tossed the pick and finished the solo with his fingers. It landed on my drummer's shoulder and I grabbed it. :)

They were one of the most amazing live acts I've ever seen. I think only Metallica, Jeff Beck, Kansas, Collective Soul, Kiss, and Alice Cooper would be considered comparable out of all the shows I've seen.

I find most people who aren't into ZZ Top complain that their music all sounds the same.

While it is somewhat true, I find it's not exactly accurate. Their greatest hits all have a distinct sound. You can identify that song within a few moments of hearing the opening riff. You could also identify the songs just by the guitar solo.

I think it's more accurate to say they have a distinct style all their own. A signature sound that does not change even though the songs themselves on a closer look are all very different within the blues rock context.

I have to agree with everthing you've said [thumbup] I think I've seen them 7 times, they never dissapoint. I was in the third row at their first show in Laughlin, NV. Billy saw I was stretching my neck to see his frets on "Jesus Just Left Chicago" so he pointed it right at me [biggrin] Then gave a little nod. They're just the best!

Archived