Gibson Brands Forums

What started your interest in guitar ?

ol fred

From about 55-58 I went to a club almost every Saturday night and watched and listened to the TV broadcast of "Cliffy Stones Hometown Jamboree" The show produced a number of "Stars" that some ol timers might remember.

This guy was a regular, I guess he started me down this road,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4W3qH4xxs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLCE6AD2CD22564222

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From about 55-58 I went to a club almost every Saturday night and watched and listened to the TV broadcast of "Cliffy Stones Hometown Jamboree" The show produced a number of "Stars" that some ol timers might remember.

This guy was a regular, I guess he started me down this road,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi4W3qH4xxs&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLCE6AD2CD22564222

That guy was amazing and played a double neck! ahead of his time. Thanks for that post!

Not sure but these things had something to do with it.

1. My mother giving me a Woody Guthrie and a Leadbelly record in the early 1960s

2. A friend of the family giving me an old Martin archtop they had sitting in a closet and showing me my first chords.

3. Putting on Lonnie Johnson and Victoria Spivey's "Toothache Blues" when going through a friend of my father's 78 rpm collection looking for folk music. I had never heard anything like it before. I may not have gotten what was going on in that song but I knew it was subversive. From there on it was all Memphis Minnie, Lightnin' Hopkins, Son House and the rest.

4. Seeing the Beatles on the Sullivan Show with those electric guitars. Man, I had to get me one of those.

5. The rush I got playing my first gig in 1966. We knew maybe 10 songs and played them both with vocals and as instrumentals. We stunk up the place but I knew fame and fortune were right around the corner. But I was never able to recapture the feeling I got from those first gigs again.

Beatles and other beat singles and LP's. Can anyone remember Kinks ?

It was just a natural thing to reach out for the nearest badminton racket. Like taking the towel after washing hands or opening the first green soda - never a choice, call it a reflex.

After that a real guitar wasn't far away. It happened around the next corner.

Love Like a Man - Ten Years After, , , then an unauthorized version of Hey Hey We're The Monkees. . . .

Can anyone remember Kinks ?[/size][/font][/color]

Remember them? The Davies brothers and the other whackos? How could you forget them? They made some great music, too. You never knew what they were going to come up with next. "All Day and All of the Night" and "You Really Got Me" were classic college garage band stuff in my day.

Remember them? The Davies brothers and the other whackos? How could you forget them? They made some great music, too. You never knew what they were going to come up with next. "All Day and All of the Night" and "You Really Got Me" were classic college garage band stuff in my day.

~ And then Waterloo Sunset

Women .... gettin' em

Maybe it has to do with those of us of a certain age, JDD. I was in high school when the modern folk craze took off (early 60's), and my first foray into it was creating a PP&M clone singing group. I was just after the blonde! (Didn't work then, by the way. It did work a couple of years later, when you could get a lot of mileage out of a beat-up Gibson, a rudimentary ability to sing and play, and a constant look of angst. What I didn't fully appreciate then was that my beat-up, funky old Gibson carried more weight than the shiny, articulate Martins of the competition. Smart girls. Dumb me.[biggrin] )

Archived