Gibson Brands Forums

What started your interest in guitar ?

ol fred

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved music..a few friends played..one of them damn good..

Tried to learn once,Gretsch Duo Jet that this friend gave me, our family on welfare could not afford to replace first set of strings, gave the guitar back.

Tried to learn twice..same friend sold me his Aria 335 cheap..could not afford to buy my girlfriend a graduation gift..sold it for $25,bought her a sweater..but she expected more. : (

Finally, with same friends..

A tab of acid.. standing in front of a full length mirror,no shirt, a Univox Les Paul..lookin at my hand,focusing goin for those notes for 6 1/2 hrs,my friends cracking up, getting stoned..that day a linebacker became a guitar player.

.. that friends Univox..

What got me started... I wanted to avoid a 'real' job and get laid a lot... It was also coming around to the time where people in school/college who played instruments were starting to be considered "cool" instead of "gay", the easier option would have been to become a junkie but I have an aversion to touching strangers down alleyways for money. I did manage to avoid a real job for a few years though, but one of the boys in my band died in a house fire (luckily I left about 20-30 mins before it happened) ...I got a real job and never touched a guitar for quite a few years. Started again in late 2009 but hadn't touched one since the mid 90's.

"What started your interest in guitar?"

Easy,, I mostly sucked at sports! :unsure:

Actually I started when I was about 8 or 9 years old, honestly think it was watching the Glenn Campbell show in the 60s that sparked the interest.

I grew up around guitars.... you couldn't swing a dead cat around my house without hitting someone playing a guitar.

But... The Beatles..... Stones..... Animals......the allure of girls..... fame & fortune... name in lights... all that......

Oh, and what girl DOESN'T look hot playin'?

There is simply no other way to live your life.

When my wife and I first met, of course I told her I had a piano and guitar.... after a couple of dates, she wanted to come over and hear me play....

Well...the rest is history!

I have always loved the sound of the guitar, especially the electric guitar. However, I always felt I had no musical talent and so I never pursued it. However, i bought my son a guitar because he said he was interested in learning, but he quickly lost interest. So, I began to play with the guitar about four years ago, listening to YouTube how to videos and buying DVDs on learning to play guitar. This year I finally buckled down and took a guitar class at the old towne school of folk music in Chicago. Now my playing is taking off and I am picking up songs like never before. I am not saying that a country band is in my near future, but I am loving the guitar more than ever. I recently replaced my Yamaha f325 with a gibson AJ and I love my new guitar. I still play the same, but I sound a little bit prettier now.

It goes back in 1957 in my early teens ... (don't know if it's some kind of fate) all my brothers play guitar as it goes in the family and even if I wasn't raised with them playing guitar was a dream when I was a young boy.

My dad had a guitar. He played when we had guestst.

My uncle played much better than my fatrer.

One day my uncle brought home The White Album and I heared "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da". This was the day and that was the song. I wanted to sing it.

My dad had a guitar. He played when we had guestst.

My uncle played much better than my fatrer.

One day my uncle brought home The White Album and I heared "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da". This was the day and that was the song. I wanted to sing it.

Nice! Your story is much like mine..... my dad and most of my uncles played...but they sucked.

Until I started lessons, I couldn't figure out the chords, (my dad taught me like 6 of them only), so I really wanted to play chords.

In my first band, I was rhythm guitarist...and I loved it!

In 1960 I started out on accordion. A couple years later I was also playing sax. All this time the guitar was growing in popularity. Then the British Invasion happened which coincided with my little brother getting a guitar. I started stealing time on it - I was hooked. I was particularly into the Beatles and Stones, but the 60s was quite a musical smorgasbord. It took a little while to scrape enough loot together to buy an old Stella. Then I added a Strat knockoff. I kept going from there.

In 1960 I started out on accordion. A couple years later I was also playing sax. All this time the guitar was growing in popularity. Then the British Invasion happened which coincided with my little brother getting a guitar. I started stealing time on it - I was hooked. I was particularly into the Beatles and Stones, but the 60s was quite a musical smorgasbord. It took a little while to scrape enough loot together to buy an old Stella. Then I added a Strat knockoff. I kept going from there.

Quite funny expression - hey BK, , , you are a dinosaur, , , , and an openminded one, oh yes.

Archived