Gibson Brands Forums

Concern of using pick on gits like Hummingbird, Dove

livemusic

One of the reasons one would buy a Hummingbird or a Dove is the beautiful pickguard. If I had one, I'd want to keep it in good shape. Yet, I strum a lot, as well as do fingerstyle. If I use a pick, I do strike the pickguard and all of my guitars have a scratched area on the pickguard. I could just play fingerstyle, assuming the guitar would play well in that style. Hmmm... or maybe alter the picking technique. Any thoughts on that? And for those who say, "just play it, don't have any concern for the looks, it just adds mojo."... well, I understand that but don't adhere to that philosophy. I take good care of my guitars and try to keep them nice. I do have an old J-50 that has wear on it but I bought it like that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought - you might try a piece of soft and pliable clear-plastic, the kind that sticks by static. Cut it to lay on the pickguard, but make sure it doesn't lay on the nitro finish, because it will possibly react with the nitro and cause softening of the finish.

Gibson solved the problem with their latest Hummingbirds. The design on the pickguard is not on the top anymore like it used to be, it's either in or underneath the guard. No way to mess it up now. The Dove still has the design etched into the top, but I sure don't worry about wearing it away, the guitar is meant to be played.

And of course the main reason to buy a Hummingbird apart from its looks is not only to play it, but to strum it! All the Hummer lovers here will tell you that however well it does other stuff, it really, really, really wants you to strum it.

The design on the pickguard is not on the top anymore like it used to be, it's either in or underneath the guard.

Hmmm. Mine is a mid-2011 H'Bird and the pickguard is engraved and painted on the top, not the underside. I've had mine but a month now and it's already beginning to show some wearing of the paint where my pinky drags the edge of the guard. I don't have much problem with the pick striking the guard - it's called control. It comes down to the plane you move your hand (and thereby the pick) through when strumming. Strike the strings in a plane parallel to the guitar top and the pick does not strike the guard at all. Digging in hard with a whimpy pick in an attempt to generate tone and volume can lead to bad angles of attack, resulting in a guard under attack. But it is true that time will wear the fancy off the guards of the Hummingbird, Dove and others with paint. It's just the way it is.

I understand how the original poster feels.

I'm a finger plucker so I don't have that problem per se but i do use a pick from time to time.

I have reservations on using a pick on my J200 as well as my Sheryl. Actually, I have this issue with MOST of my Gibsons but NONE of my Martins.

I see the Martin style pickguards more throwaway in nature and the Gibson guards more artistic, even the most plain jane ones like on my J150 or J185.

That's good that Gibson is now putting the design under the clear coat of the guard. I don't think that is the case with my J200 though.

Dunno if I value my Gibsons more than my Martins (probably do cuz of my prevailing attitude) but I could care less with Mojo on my Martins but I just HATE to see Mojo show up on my Gibsons.

And Mojo doesn't seem to appear on my Gibsons as much and I play both Martin and Gibson with equal time.

I chalk that up to more lacquer protection on the Gibsons.

Some might gripe about that inhibiting the sound but I sure appreciate that extra to keep the Gibbies nice and shiny :)

Okay, more than you wanted to hear and no real solutions for ya if you like to keep your Gibsons clean.

Play on Ladies and Gents,

Harmonics101

Guitars are meant to be played. The only way you can keep them as new is by never playing them, and never handling them. If you handle them you might scratch it by accident. It's a nice idea to have it looking shiny new, but if you want to play it you have to accept that there is going to be some wear with time. You have to decide if you want a museum piece or an instrument to play.

KL, to a certain extant, i will agree with you.

Wear on the sound board due to palm crud or your flesh regularily touching the sound board in some locations, I'd call that honest wear.

I have to disagree with you that scratches, or at least pick scratches, are down to earth honest wear.

I don't want to start a big argument over this but I put pick scratches on a guitar in the quote unquote abuse category.

Now, you might view vehemently disagree with my strongly held opinion, but that's me coming from a mostly finger style player.

I can understand you players that use a pick might not categorize pick scratches as abuse and place them in the normal wear category.

I guess its all a matter of perspective.

My perspective is, get good enough so you don't put scratches on your guitar when you use a pick.

Or, probably like more normal less meticulous persons than myself, just accept those scratches as KL states.

But from my perspective being finger style, pick scratches on a guitar is abuse !! B)

Harmonics101

I have to disagree with you that scratches, or at least pick scratches, are down to earth honest wear.

I don't want to start a big argument over this but I put pick scratches on a guitar in the quote unquote abuse category.

Harmonics, there is a reason they call it a "pickguard" (or "scratchplate", to you furrigners). And I don't think it's because it's there to guard your picks. :unsure:

Under "guitar abuse", see: "Trigger, Willie Nelson"

A few scratches on your pickguard don't constitute "guitar abuse" in my world. But that's just me, as retrorod would say..... [biggrin]

Harmonics, there is a reason they call it a "pickguard" (or "scratchplate", to you furrigners). And I don't think it's because it's there to guard your picks. :unsure:

Under "guitar abuse", see: "Trigger, Willie Nelson"

A few scratches on your pickguard don't constitute "guitar abuse" in my world. But that's just me, as retrorod would say..... [biggrin]

+1 , (its not just you )

J45Nick and KL, please accept my apologies with my highly opinionated opinions :)

You are right, that's what a pick guard is for and i was mostly talking about scratches on the sound board and not the actual guard, cuz yer right, that's what the guard is there for.

My damn hyperbole gets me in trouble again, boy i LOVE the taste of shoe leather :)

To the Original Poster, how about getting some clear plastic with adhesive on the back, outline the exact shape of the pickguard, and place it over the guard. That way, if the fit is exact, you wouldn't have to worry about the semi soft plastic film reacting with the finish.

Good Luck, I understand where yer coming from,

Harmonics101

I really don't think some of you are being fair. I don't think it's 'illogical and unreasonable' at all to try to take care of them as best one can. If one is in the camp that says don't worry about it, that's fine. I am not.

As for 'not gonna happen,' I admit that it's not possible to never put minor scratches or dings on a guitar, but I have guitars that are in fabulous condition and I have played them a lot. That is because I *try* to keep them nice. Seems like a very reasonable question. These guitars are far from cheap. And, they are pretty! And if I were to buy an (expensive) Doves In Flight guitar, it is not because of the sound, it is because of its beauty. I have other Gibsons that sound just fine. I would hope a Doves In Flight would sound good and look good, that is the desire. 'Not caring' about keeping that beautiful pickguard beautiful seems silly to me. If I saw that regular play would destroy it, I'd think twice about keeping it.

There is also a monetary aspect. Since I am one who admires guitar beauty, I buy used guitars that are in excellent condition, and I am astonished that I have been able to find several that are in pretty much MINT condition and some are over 20 years old. It matters to some, like me, and it resulted in the seller finding a buyer.

Moishe brings up a good point, as far as learning a new technique to

augment keeping the guitar less scarred by pick scratches.

For those guitars that don't matter much about pick scratches, use your

pick.

For those guitars that you care about, start to develop a new technique

(i.e. finger style) that will protect your pick guard.

I actually abandoned the pick cuz i just couldn't get the accuracy with

my right hand on the strings.

And walla, 4 years later, I've developed a really cool technique, sort

of ala Neil Young percussive style without the pick and getting great

accuracy.

I've actually improved my accuracy without the pick and developing

faster in lead melodies.

So if I am understanding what Moishe is saying, take your reservations

and turn them into a new playing style for those guitars.

Harmonics101

And if I were to buy an (expensive) Doves In Flight guitar, it is not because of the sound, it is because of its beauty.

So you would buy a Doves In Flight primarily because of its beauty, rather than its tone first ??

Well, then we are on very different wave lengths here. I cant imagine buying a guitar based on looks first, tone second.

Then as I suggestted earlier, just put her on a wall and just stare at her whole day.

Sorry for being harsh, but youre talking to Gibson players here, I mean these guitars were made to be played, its not an Olson or Froggy Bottom that wants to be wrapped in cotton when not played.

I really don't think some of you are being fair. I don't think it's 'illogical and unreasonable' at all to try to take care of them as best one can. If one is in the camp that says don't worry about it, that's fine. I am not.

As for 'not gonna happen,' I admit that it's not possible to never put minor scratches or dings on a guitar, but I have guitars that are in fabulous condition and I have played them a lot. That is because I *try* to keep them nice. Seems like a very reasonable question. These guitars are far from cheap. And, they are pretty! And if I were to buy an (expensive) Doves In Flight guitar, it is not because of the sound, it is because of its beauty. I have other Gibsons that sound just fine. I would hope a Doves In Flight would sound good and look good, that is the desire. 'Not caring' about keeping that beautiful pickguard beautiful seems silly to me. If I saw that regular play would destroy it, I'd think twice about keeping it.

There is also a monetary aspect. Since I am one who admires guitar beauty, I buy used guitars that are in excellent condition, and I am astonished that I have been able to find several that are in pretty much MINT condition and some are over 20 years old. It matters to some, like me, and it resulted in the seller finding a buyer.

I don't think anyone here would criticize anyone for wanting to keep their guitars in top shape. I do the same with mine. But there is a fine line between keeping them in top shape and obsessing over a scratch. If you want to buy a DIF for aesthtic qualities, that's fine. Maintaining it in top shape over time will help protect it as an investment as well, but no one knows what the long-term investment value of any guitar will really be.

I would feel uncomfortable playing a guitar if my pleasure in owning it hinged on maintaining it in "perfect" condition. I don't abuse any of my guitars, but stuff happens. We've had threads here on what your reactions were the first time you put a ding in your favorite guitar, and most folks react the same way: anger at themselves, followed by recognition that it's all part of the pleasure and pain of ownership.

For most of us, guitars are tools: either tools of the trade, or tools to be enjoyed. But by all means, maintain it as carefully as possible.

There is an expression in the private aircraft business: "hanger queen". It's pretty easy to figure that one out. It's an aircraft that stays parked in the hanger, and never gets used. You occasionally find old guitars that have been treated this way, which generally means they haven't been used much at all. It also usually means they've only had a single owner who may not have been a serious musician. If you're a serious player and find one, it's a huge bonus.

Guitars suffer wear through use. They get scratches over time if they get played, even if you are careful. You bang a music stand or a table. In my case, you sometimes get carried away with your Pete Townshend imitation and stick the guitar into a ceiling fan.

If you play it, the frets will wear, Eventually, your fingers will wear grooves in the fingerboard in certain often-used positions.

All this is part of a guitar's life story. It's not necessarily "guitar abuse".

"Trigger', on the other hand......

I do understand the desire to keep one's guitars a pretty as possible, but generally speaking, pretty and useful don't go together for the long term. I am surprised to read you would buy a good looking guitar based on looks alone, but I suppose that goes a long way toward explaining your anguish at wear on your instruments. But you can't deny that for a player a guitar is a tool, to be used (not abused), and as such it will show the effects of use given time. No offense intended, but from your posting it sounds like you need to be a collector, not a player. Any guitar that's played will show the effects of being played given enough time, no matter how careful you are.

And you can't condemn a Bird to a life of pure fingerpicking (and I speak as an 80% fingerpicker who cannot afford a Bird)! It needs to be strummed to sing. I can just see the posts on AGF now - about how bad Gibson quality control is because they even put their prettiest pickguards on their most strumtastic guitars! They should have put the Hummingbird guard on the Blues King!

That would be a pickguard pickguard in my book..... [laugh]

It would be for sure.... I have a couple non adhesive static Plastic sheets for a couple of mine.. it works well,,, I dont use a pick on these guitars.. But keeping engraved guards Looking new to the guitar is what I like until the first chip comes along... :rolleyes:

M4L, just search on "GuitarBra" and you'll find what you need.

Please note, she did NOT state she bought the guitar only for it's looks nor that she didn't want it to get a scratch here and there. There have been DOZENS of threads started here bemoaning the loss of the artwork on these pgs. Not sure why all of a sudden everyone felt like doing a 180 in the direction of 'mojo' and 'just play it'suggesting we should all strive to beat our guitars into submission until they look like Trigger.

Archived