Gibson Brands Forums

This is the one they will pry from my dead fingers....

onewilyfool

This is the one that has my eye......my ear...and my heart. 1923 L-2. This may be one of the most unique sounds of my guitars. Different than the flat top L's, but is actually the sound I prefer. I was searching for the perfect

blues" guitar, but this can be played in many styles. Strung with Elixir 11's, with a scale length of 24 1/4", the low tension of the light strings and short scale length make it VERY easy to play, which is a big + for me. I've posted this before, but will do so again to show this one in action. The guitar has a percussive/banjo quality because of the floating bridge. Sooooo, what is your "can't-live-without" guitar, the one they will bury you with????....lol......ONLY ONE now no multiple choices!!!!

photo-1-1.jpg

Wiley Wiley Wiley! You da man, brother! What a great little instrument you have there! Got that plunky tone that works so well! Great tune, very well played......I'm impressed! I can hear why you are so attached to that guitar - it works for you! Excellent! =D>=D> I wish I had learned to fingerpick like that. If it weren't for the invention of the plectrum I couldn't play guitar at all!

Guess my take it to the grave guitar would have to be the only one I have.

Wiley Wiley Wiley! You da man, brother! What a great little instrument you have there! Got that plunky tone that works so well! Great tune, very well played......I'm impressed! I can hear why you are so attached to that guitar - it works for you! Excellent! =D>=D> I wish I had learned to fingerpick like that. If it weren't for the invention of the plectrum I couldn't play guitar at all!

Guess my take it to the grave guitar would have to be the only one I have.

Buc....and I wish I could flat pick and strum like you!!!!! Thanks!

Sooooo, what is your "can't-live-without" guitar, the one they will bury you with????

My "good" guitars will most likely have to be sold to pay the costs. With that in mind, and respect to my "survivors", just throw my $36 50's Sears Silvertone archtop in with me. I've played this guitar at some of the biggest concerts I've ever played, I'm sure it would continue serve me well.

5517693543_3a7f792399.jpg

My "good" guitars will most likely have to be sold to pay the costs. With that in mind, and respect to my "survivors", just throw my $36 50's Sears Silvertone archtop in with me. I've played this guitar at some of the biggest concerts I've ever played, I'm sure it would continue serve me well.

5517693543_3a7f792399.jpg

one of those did jack white no harm either

There's a lot of guitarists who owe a debt to Jack White, when they come to sell they should do quite well given the brand-boost he has provided.

Yes, he's even had an impact on the rise in price of planks and cola bottles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFXeChXfcI

It has to be the right plank and the right cola bottle, mind.

EDIT: I think I just stumbled on Ren Ferguson's replacement!

The fact that it has the short scale length of 24 1/4" is VERY interesting. I didn't think Gibson ever used that SL on an archtop guitar. I have seen a few late 20's flat-tops like the L-1 & L-0 with that SL and thought they only used it on those guitars. Thanks for sharing the info. Your L-2 is a very cool guitar.

If I gotta go, I ain't goin' playing no wood body guitar. I'm a taking the brashest, most in your face music machine on the face of the planet - my 1931/32 National Duolian and the neck off a bottle of Fighting Cock Kentucky Bourbon. The fact that John Hammond, Jr. noodled around with this one while hanging in a recording studio in a converted church adds just enouth Mojo to push it over the edge. A steel guitar is guaranteed to get those guys playing harps (I remain ever the optimist) to lay off the John Denver tunes. If I go more to the south, this is the one that I want to have in my hands when I challenge old Scratch to a cutting contest.

Duolian.jpg

If I gotta go, I ain't goin' playing no wood body guitar. I'm a taking the brashest, most in your face music machine on the face of the planet - my 1931/32 National Duolian and the neck off a bottle of Fighting Cock Kentucky Bourbon. The fact that John Hammond, Jr. noodled around with this one while hanging in a recording studio in a converted church adds just enouth Mojo to push it over the edge. This steel is guaranteed to get those guys playing harps (I remain ever the optimist) to lay off the John Denver tunes. If I go more to the south, this is the one that I want to have in my hands when I challenge old Scratch to a cutting contest.

ZW, I bet you can wake the dead with that one!

The fact that it has the short scale length of 24 1/4" is VERY interesting. I didn't think Gibson ever used that SL on an archtop guitar. I have seen a few late 20's flat-tops like the L-1 & L-0 with that SL and thought they only used it on those guitars. Thanks for sharing the info. Your L-2 is a very cool guitar.

It is interesting, isn't it. Those early flat tops are simply the same guitars as the arch tops, but without the carving. I've x-rated a number of these, including the transitional models with carved backs and flat tops. All have had that 25.25 scale length.

Those early flat tops are simply the same guitars as the arch tops, but without the carving. I've x-rated a number of these, including the transitional models with carved backs and flat tops.

JT, I'm not sure I want to ask, but I must:

How do you "x-rate" a guitar? I am deeply concerned at the acts you may be committing with these innocent musical instruments, even if they are well above the age of consent.

If I gotta go, I ain't goin' playing no wood body guitar. I'm a taking the brashest, most in your face music machine on the face of the planet - my 1931/32 National Duolian and the neck off a bottle of Fighting Cock Kentucky Bourbon. The fact that John Hammond, Jr. noodled around with this one while hanging in a recording studio in a converted church adds just enouth Mojo to push it over the edge. A steel guitar is guaranteed to get those guys playing harps (I remain ever the optimist) to lay off the John Denver tunes. If I go more to the south, this is the one that I want to have in my hands when I challenge old Scratch to a cutting contest.

Duolian.jpg

aww man if attitude gets you in the gates they'l have a red carpet out for you

How do you "x-rate" a guitar? I am deeply concerned at the acts you may be committing with these innocent musical instruments, even if they are well above the age of consent.

Nick,

The guitars have all been at least 70 years old. This is something we old timers (and I'm including you among us) understand, but I really don't want to reveal to the youngsters here the secrets to happiness and pleasure in old age. If you really don't understand, send me a private message.

:)

Nick,

The guitars have all been at least 70 years old. This is something we old timers (and I'm including you among us) understand, but I really don't want to reveal to the youngsters here the secrets to happiness and pleasure in old age. If you really don't understand, send me a private message.

:)

ohhhh, that.....

I forgot. [blush]

I believe that JT's Southerner Jumbo can be so rated because it is both deep and throaty.

Archived