Gibson Brands Forums

Popular Blues Songs

barton8367

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody suggest some popular blues songs that would be good to play at pub gigs and the occasional open mic.

Preferably with 2 distinct guitar parts that we can play acoustically. Were of quite a decent standard so any suggestions would be great!

thanks guys

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody suggest some popular blues songs that would be good to play at pub gigs and the occasional open mic.

Preferably with 2 distinct guitar parts that we can play acoustically. Were of quite a decent standard so any suggestions would be great!

thanks guys

These work pretty well for us with a mixed audience:

Flip Flop And Fly

Born Under A Bad Sign

Sweet Home Chicago

I don't know about the 2 distinct guitar parts. I don't think there is any definitive way to play most blues songs, it's up to you and your creativity.

Songs with a distinct repeating lead part work well. One guy can play the lead part and the other guy can play chords. Songs like You Don't Love Me, Outside Woman Blues, I'm Tore Down, or Strange Brew.

Other songs that work well, like Driftin' and Ramblin' work well because they have a simple repeating bass line. The other guy can play riffs and chords and frills while the bass line is carrying the tune.

When you're both playing rhythm at the same time you can make the two parts stand out by playing different versions of the same chord up or down the fretboard. Like in Outside Woman Blues - key of E - one guy can play the one chord as an E7 down at the first fret while the other guy plays an E7add9 up at the 7th fret.

Most Allman Bros tunes already have two guitar parts, so if you can adapt them to a two man acoustic show, it'll work. Me and my buddy play Whipping Post, Hot Lanta, One Way Out, Stormy Monday and You Don't Love Me.

All Blues is an easy Miles Davis jam with at least two parts.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!! [thumbup]

Listen to EC's "Unplugged" CD/DVD, 'cause there's a BUNCH, on it!

Or, his "Me, And Mister Johnson" CD/DVD. Lots of old Robert Johnson

blues standards. I think most of those songs, are on YouTube, if

you don't want to download them, or want to watch "how" they're played.

Have fun!

CB

I have always had a thing for Dust My Broom, Spoonful, and Smoke Stack Lighting.

Man, Howlin' Wolf must be rolling in his grave knowing his song was used for an ED commercial. That ain't Mojo or Johnny Conqueroo.

Listen to EC's "Unplugged" CD/DVD, 'cause there's a BUNCH, on it!

Or, his "Me, And Mister Johnson" CD/DVD. Lots of old Robert Johnson

blues standards. I think most of those songs, are on YouTube, if

you don't want to download them, or want to watch "how" they're played.

Have fun!

CB

+1. The Unplugged record has tons of great standards. I'd add pretty much anything from Hopkins, Muddy, or J.L. Hooker too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBLzTD2wTzg&feature=related

"John The Conqueror Root"

That is the full official name, but I have heard more than a few blues singers mumble it as Johnny Conqueroo, as in I got the Johnny Conqueroo . That's one legendary root!

Any....

The beauty of blues is that everyone is expected to evolve their own interpretation. Two guitar parts? Just playing two guys swapping some lead and rhythm, unless they're copying each other, should offer that regardless.

m

That is the full official name, but I have heard more than a few blues singers mumble it as Johnny Conqueroo, as in I got the Johnny Conqueroo . That's one legendary root!

Johnny Conqueroo sounds like Crockodile Dundee's best friend. When they mumble it, which isn't so much mumbled as it was misunderstood by people who never heard of John The Conqueror Root, they still say "John th' Conquer' Root". Eric Clapton may have said Johnny Conqueroo, but Muddy never did.

Johnny Conqueroo sounds like Crockodile Dundee's best friend. When they mumble it, which isn't so much mumbled as it was misunderstood by people who never heard of John The Conqueror Root, they still say "John th' Conquer' Root". Eric Clapton may have said Johnny Conqueroo, but Muddy never did.

Muddy sure did. Go dust off your copy of Electric Mud and get wise to Hoochie Coochie Man. I think it's trk two.

Archived