Gibson Brands Forums

Craigslist Fake??

Work in Progress

Ok, the description is OBVIOUSLY wrong. It is NOT an LP Custom. It appears to be a Supreme. I cannot tell from these photos if it's a fake or not. In the 2nd photo, I'm getting a strange vibe. The body just doesn't look right! And $3,900 for a secondhand Supreme?!? It's not even a highly-figured top! I know little about spotting fake Supremes other than looking that South America is in the Supreme logo. I really don't even know what they retail for. What are your thoughts?

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2878344741.html

Ok, the description is OBVIOUSLY wrong. It is NOT an LP Custom. It appears to be a Supreme. I cannot tell from these photos if it's a fake or not. In the 2nd photo, I'm getting a strange vibe. The body just doesn't look right! And $3,900 for a secondhand Supreme?!? It's not even a highly-figured top! I know little about spotting fake Supremes other than looking that South America is in the Supreme logo. I really don't even know what they retail for. What are your thoughts?

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/2878344741.html

Looking again.. Its just way too hard to tell from those pics.. But something still seems off too me (the headstock looks proper wrong)

Careful.

No decent sized close ups always makes me suspicious. And then there's the angles in the pictures making it hard get a look a the proportions of the body and headstock. For example, in the top right shot of the front the bout proportions look out of whack, but in the bottom right shot of the back the proportions look correct. Outside of the proportions, I see a couple of other concerns: the pup ring mounting screws are gold, they should be black flatheads; the fretboard looks like rosewood, it should be ebony on recent models; the placement of the "Gibson" script inlay on the headstock looks too high; and the control placement looks off. What can be seen in these pics aren't close/good enough for me to say fake, but I'm concerned about it being genuine. I would ask for they year and better pics, or take a look at it in person.

...What are your thoughts?...

It's just one of the regular $279.00 Chinese fakes.

There's a lot of good info on how to spot fakes here on Gibson's site. It'll save you a lot of time if you make yourself aware of the most obvious ones.

P.

A few things I noticed were the headstock looks long, not the right size. I never played a supreme but I have played many LP's and they all had access to the electronics through the back. There are no backplates on this guitar. The body looks alittle off too. For $3900 you can get a custom LP from the custom shop new fully warrentied.

I wouldn't trust it. It just doesn't look right IMO.

.... I never played a supreme but I have played many LP's and they all had access to the electronics through the back. There are no backplates on this guitar. ....

That's one of the things that makes the Supreme more expensive - no back plates to interrupt the "fiddleback" look -

2005-Gibson-Les-Paul-Supreme-Desert-Burst-FLAME-700x393.jpg

That's one of the things that makes the Supreme more expensive - no back plates to interrupt the "fiddleback" look -

2005-Gibson-Les-Paul-Supreme-Desert-Burst-FLAME-700x393.jpg

That's sweet! I never knew that. Nice guitar. I still think some of the picture in the craig's List photos looks off to me though. I wasn't sure about the backplates.

I was just about to start a thread about this, as I'm in the Houston area also. I have not played many Gibson's, but have been doing my research, and have looked at hundreds of photos. This guitar didn't look right to me at first glance. The price is ridiculous also, as previously stated. There have been 3 replies posted about this guitar already, claiming it's authenticity.

Even IF it were a real LP Supreme...The price they want ($3900) is more than you can buy a new Supreme for. You can get a new one for $3409.

I bought 2 new LP's and neither one came with plastic on the pickups.... That is a big red flag to me.

Wow...i bet that wiring those Supreme is almost a mission impossible

Apparently, although not simple, it's not quite as bad as you'd imagine.

If you look at the jack-plate you'll see it's a lot longer than a regular plate. All the wiring harness/pots etc. goes in through here. The guitar itself is pretty much fully hollow so once things are inserted it's just a question of moving them into the right position. The pups, of course, go in from the top so it's a case of getting the wiring up to the caviies and soldering it all together.

Or so I've been told by someone who had one..........

If you think about it, no 335-style guitars have access panels either.

I'd still prefer back-plates on my guitars, though!

P.

Archived