Gibson Brands Forums

LP's V's SG's and Strats V's Telecasters...

pippy

Following on from some of the views expressed in the 'Strat' thread I found it interesting to see how polarised were some views expressed re: Strats and Tele's and I was wondering...

Who prefers LPs to SGs and vice versa and, similarly, who prefers Strats to Teles?

I know I've left out all the rest of the favourites - Vs; Explorers; Jazzmasters etc...etc... - but I think more folk have a greater experience with these four models.

P.

I went with tele over strat and lp over sg. I prefer single cutouts in general unless its a PRS where I hate their single cut. Obviously this is just my view. Im quite interested in this poll so I'll have to keep my eye on what others say

Guest farnsbarns

I went for the LP and indifference on the Fenders. I've only ever played an epi SG so this is hardly an informed opinion but from what I've heard played I prefer the LP on tone and certainly on looks.

From what I've heard played on the Fenders I find the Tele to be twangy but from what I've heard said they're very versatile so I reserved judgement.

Since I own all, but a "V," I'd have to say I love them all, equally.

And, use all, pretty much equally, as well. [thumbup]

I'll admit to going on tangents, where I'll use one guitar, a lot more

than any other. But, that tendency goes for all my guitars. So... [biggrin]

CB

Grew up playing a Firebird (in many ways, quite "SG like"). But since the 90's I've been primarily a Strat guy. That said, I currently have more Les Pauls than Strats. Never owned an SG or a Tele, but have played many of each and like them. I want multiple examples of each (so many guitars, so little time/money). I voted Les Paul over SG and Strat over Tele.

LP on the Gibson side. Either on the Fender side, but I would lean more towards the Tele. If only you could get a set neck at the proper angle and a carved flame top, oh wait, that's a LP. Guess you know what my favorite guitar is... [flapper]

Just about all of my favorite players used a strat or tele, Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson, Danny Gatton and I could go on. I like the sound of the single coils. I bought a 1979 Strat hardtail about 7 years ago from guitar center. All original 3 bolt neck. After owning it for a while I realized that I prefered a set neck over a bolt neck. I like the tone from mahogany wood better than that of ash, alder or maple which most strats are made out of plus the added sustain given to the guitar with a set neck. I prefer a larger radiused fretboard than what typically comes on a Fender. I by no means am going to knock Fender but I like Gibsons alot better and will probably never own another one. On the SG Les Paul thing, I prefer the SG over the Les Paul. SG is alot lighter, easier access to frets near the body, and it seems to be a more versatile guitar than the Les Paul for my style of playing. I prefer the SG over all of them. I also like how it sits on my leg better than my Les Paul did while I play sitting down. Just way better fret board access in my opinion over the Les Paul. Tim

Well, I've always been a huge Cockney Rejects fan, and they're known for SGs. Plus I've always preferred the feel of the SG in my hands. Every LP has felt like it's way too small for me. An SG has felt just right for some reason. And I'm equal as far as Stratocasters and Telecasters. I've owned both of them, and like both of them. But it all depends on what I'm into playing at the time. Telecaster for my regular style of play (gainy, loud, obnoxious, w/e you call it) and Stratocaster for my out of the ordinary (clean, quiet, strange) That's just my opinion :P

Archived