Gibson Brands Forums

Fret Doctor

Flight959

For those who don't use this product its a must for those dried out fretboards... Here is my Studio's Rosewood Board after using it..

For those of you who have used this, do you think its capable of darkening Baked Maple Boards????? [tongue]

Before this was done it looked very pale!!

8cd0f151.jpg

7a72f5e7.jpg

[tongue]

Regards

I've gotten to know the owner, Ed Boyle, very well. He's an honest and very funny guy (we exchange jokes on a nearly daily basis). He's also a former chemist who really knows his stuff. It is truly the best stuff out there. Here are some before and after pictures that he sent me once.

WreckedChrisIsaac027.jpg

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

I prefer Fast Fret, myself. Prolongs string life like nothing else.

Fast fret is different, thats intended for the strings, ive never thought of using it as a wood conditioner. I use fast fret on the stings and dunlop lemon oil on the fingerboard

Fast fret is different, thats intended for the strings, ive never thought of using it as a wood conditioner. I use fast fret on the stings and dunlop lemon oil on the fingerboard

I clean my fretboard every time I change strings, which is once a month or just over a month depending. I use Fast Fret in between switching them. I only change my stings so often because I love the bite I get from a new set.

I use lemon oil on my fretboard and it works great.

I can see if you have a really beat up fretboard to work with Fret Doctor would be the way to go.

Guest farnsbarns

I've gotten to know the owner, Ed Boyle, very well. He's an honest and very funny guy (we exchange jokes on a nearly daily basis). He's also a former chemist who really knows his stuff. It is truly the best stuff out there. Here are some before and after pictures that he sent me once.

WreckedChrisIsaac009.jpg

I'm no expert but I think that neck might be on backwards. [biggrin]

I use Fret Doctor every time I change my strings. Very good product.

Isn't it? for a long time I did not want to buy into what I thought was hype then I was at a point when I was out of Lemon Oil and decided to order this instead, really good stuff, it is expensive but it lasts forever anyway.

I clean my fretboard every time I change strings, which is once a month or just over a month depending. I use Fast Fret in between switching them. I only change my stings so often because I love the bite I get from a new set.

I use lemon oil on my fretboard and it works great.

I can see if you have a really beat up fretboard to work with Fret Doctor would be the way to go.

Be careful with lemon oil. Here is what Ed says: "Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates. Solvents can weaken any adhesives used in instrument construction. Be aware that most "Lemon oils" are no more than lemon-scented mineral oil, as are most bore oils. Real lemon oil is steam distilled from lemon peel, is quite acidic, with a pH of 3.7 to 4.2. It is an effective cleaner, but wipe it off when you are finished"

Note that he does say that some products are actually O.K. even he makes and sells Fret Doctor. He really will give you an honest opinion.

I have used Fender Fretboard conditioner, and Gibson Luthier's choice Fretboard Conditioner.

Recently, my guitar tech used Planet Waves' Hydrate Fretboard Conditioner (D'Addario) on my SG Bass. It made the fretboard darker than I have ever seen a change on a board from conditioner. The rosewood is almost black now. I am going to try it on my PBass and see if it looks just as good. I the bottle it looks like a transparent red oil.

I've been indoctrinated to not use oils on the fretboard.

It might make it look darker but as far as conditioning , it doesn't do much.

I'm no expert , i'm just spewing back what I have been told.

Is this different with electrics ?

Do electrics need more oiling of the fret board than acoustics ?

I think I've done my J100 once in 4 years and none of my other guitars.

Yeah , that J100 rosewood fretboard was looking pretty dry and chaffed.

Harmonics101

Archived