Gibson Brands Forums

Camera Riding the Shuttle Booster

rocketman

The stuff at the sound barrier is cool.

What's up with the condensation/evaporation cycles, Rocketman? Is it pressure related?

And what's up with the sound in space? I thought you couldn't hear anything in space. Is that the booster itself making the sound and then vibrating the mic?

Ive never thought about the speed of a shuttle. Am I right in thinking that the space shuttle ascent is a linear regression?

Sorry for the late responses. I've been out of town. No it's not linear at all. Lots of stuff going on here. After about 30 seconds the shuttle hits its maximum dynamic pressure. The engines are throttled back a lot until about the 50 second mark at which time they are throttled back up to over 100%. The shuttle accelerates from 0 mph to over 17,500 mph in just 8.5 minutes.

The stuff at the sound barrier is cool.

What's up with the condensation/evaporation cycles, Rocketman? Is it pressure related?

And what's up with the sound in space? I thought you couldn't hear anything in space. Is that the booster itself making the sound and then vibrating the mic?

Don't know for sure about the condensation/evaporation cycles. I'm not a fluid dynamics guy. The SRBs separate from the shuttle at an altitude of 28 miles. Plenty of air still there. When there is air there is sound. Several astronauts have told me that the first two minutes, when the SRBs are firing, it feels like going over speed bumps at 100 mph. Lots of vibration. After seperation it's much smoother.

They don't deice before launch?

Nope. The shuttle's main fuel tank is full of liquid hydrogen at -253°C, so you'd expect a lot of ice to form on the outside. You don't want to heat this up.

2963mph? what's that air speed? ground speed?

anyways, nice footage thanks for posting [thumbup]

Usually it's air speed. Everything is with respect to an inertial frame (non-moving).

I was amazed by how fast the deceleration is once it reenters the atmosphere..... I would love to have had Rocketman narrate the entire sequence!

I guess I always thought the boosters reached a point where they lost all speed, and simply fell back to earth..... doesn't seem so.

It's marvelous...

As I've said before, I had the opportunity to sit alone with von Braun for half an hour plus. I did have the advantage of having gone my last two years of high school with his NASA asst. director's son, so that made it a bit more personal.

I think I must admit I'm a "space nut." We had heard about the shuttle, space stations, etc., long before they became realities; I quizzed von Braun on those and the future.

Unfortunately to me, we lack a voice such as he had in terms of expressing the benefits of such research and exploration in our daily lives. I think "we" may set foot again on such as the moon, perhaps Mars; but for man to go farther, I think we've some big steps to take in terms of energy and perhaps computer power before that is probable.

The point is that if we decide as a species - and this is "politics" at its most basic - that we're earth-bound and seek only greater comfort for greater numbers, I think we'll become increasingly irrelevant even to ourselves.

It's like guitar playing. The player, regardless of talent, who stops learning and growing may retain fame, but inside himself has stopped growing. The player, regardless of talent, who continues to learn regardless of ability and fame, has a spark inside him or herself that keeps them alive and relevant to themselves.

That last is not at all unimportant and perhaps should serve as an allegory for the young folks here regardless where their lives might take them. Unfortunately I'm not so sure allegory is taught very well in our formal education today.

m

That is some seriously cool footage. The moon landing was NOT a fake and there are no aliens that have visted this planet.

Don't know about the moon landing's as I was only 6 years old then but there are fossilized primitive bacteria on earth that came from Mars.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/marslife.html

Oh and yes that is a cool video!

Wow Milo that's great that you had a chance to talk to Von Braun. My technical grandfather actually worked with him as an intern. He's got some great stories.

My technical grandfather's professor was an extremely famous astrodynamicist, Samuel Herrick. He worked at UCLA and was consultant on the original movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still." He wrote the orbital mechanics equations on Professor Barnhardt's blackboard. Here's a picture of Herrick coaching the actor who played Klaatu, Michael Rennie, on what to write on the board.

herrick.jpg

Archived