Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson '57 Classics and Classics Plus pups

Epi Rocks

As some of you will already know, I recently installed Gibson pups into my Black Beauty 3.

It may be my imagination but WOW [woot] do these pickups sing.

I thought they would be an improvement but I never imagined to this degree.

'57 Classic in the neck, 490T in the middle and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position.

kgrhqeokike3c3gbs7kbn8o.jpg

Is anyone else out there as impressed with these pickups as I am.

The difference compared to the Epi Classics is 'chalk n cheese'.

I plugged the BB3 into the Marshall, turned it up to 'bout 6 and let rip. F&^K!!!

Did the same on the gain channel with a delay pedal and cut loose. Very Impressive tones.

I should've changed them years ago.

To my ears these are undoubtedly the best pups out there. [thumbup]

The 490T held its ground also.

490to.jpg

Together, these guys are a brilliant combination. (Money well spent methinks.)

I put Burstbucker pro's into my G400 Custom. They sound incredible; screaming tones galore!! [woot]

bbpro.jpg

But those '57 Classics probably would've sounded even better. Oh well.... [rolleyes]

My point is; if you have an Epi Les Paul, G400, Explorer, Flying V, Dot, etc,etc......

You can do far worse than fit these pups. They are worth every cent IMHO. [thumbup][thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

Hi Folks,

I will probably put the 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus into my new G-400. Are these the same pick ups that came with my 1998 Les Paul Standard, do you think?

And what is the 490T?

All the best,

Gvdv.

Hi Folks,

I will probably put the 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus into my new G-400. Are these the same pick ups that came with my 1998 Les Paul Standard, do you think?

And what is the 490T?

All the best,

Gvdv.

Your 1998 Gibby LPS most likely has a 498T and a 490R......T for neck, R for bridge......IMHO, 57 Classic blow those away.......

Off hand, most Gibby Standards come with Gibson Pro Buckers......( alnico Vs....)......

Hi Folks,

And what is the 490T?

All the best,

Gvdv.

490T are the Bridge pups that come on Gibby SG Specials.

The one I have came with 4 wire but the Factory fitted ones are generally the braided 2 wire variety.

Paul

I put classic 57 / 57+ in my modded Sheraton II last Christmas and it was one of the best pickup upgrade I made in any guitar I had so far...

They truly bring it more alive, I had also upgraded the all rest of the electronic at the same time and it is now a keeper...

I really didn't think that the Gibson p/u's could be that much different than the stock Epi ones. I guess that gives me a project to consider once the G-400 Custom finally arrives! Stupid backorder!

Huge difference. I managed to score one of the SA limited edition Gold Top 57 Epiphone Les Pauls with the real 57s and played it next to the higher priced stock Epiphone LP night and day. I left the store with the Gold top before anyone could figure out what it was.

My buddy got a first run 399 standard with the Probuckers and while a bit brighter than the 57s are the best stock pickup Epiphone has made or made for them overseas.

I want to buy another Epiphone in the future but until they come stock with the Probuckers I'm not bothering. I am tired of paying then having to do PU swaps. Too many other brands in the same price range with great pickups and great tone out of the box.

Epiphone has the right PU now they just need to upgrade the line and forget about the coil tapping on the lower end models, just upgrade everthing to the Probuckers. Once you have heard a 57 or the new Probucker there is no going back.

Huge difference. I managed to score one of the SA limited edition Gold Top 57 Epiphone Les Pauls with the real 57s and played it next to the higher priced stock Epiphone LP night and day. I left the store with the Gold top before anyone could figure out what it was.

My buddy got a first run 399 standard with the Probuckers and while a bit brighter than the 57s are the best stock pickup Epiphone has made or made for them overseas.

I want to buy another Epiphone in the future but until they come stock with the Probuckers I'm not bothering. I am tired of paying then having to do PU swaps. Too many other brands in the same price range with great pickups and great tone out of the box.

Epiphone has the right PU now they just need to upgrade the line and forget about the coil tapping on the lower end models, just upgrade everthing to the Probuckers. Once you have heard a 57 or the new Probucker there is no going back.

The Epi G-400 Custom I'm getting has 3 Alnico's I believe. Will they do Sabbath tones okay?

Classic '57, and '57+, are my absolute favorite Humbuckers!

I have two guitars, with them, at present. They are, to me,

THE Gibson (Les Paul, or otherwise) tone, that I remember,

from my youth, in the '60's.[thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Times a million, they're the bee's knees and they aim to please. Best humbuckers I think I've ever tried, absolutely without a doubt the best bridge humbucker I've ever tried... not one bit harsh at all. [thumbup]

I really didn't think that the Gibson p/u's could be that much different than the stock Epi ones. I guess that gives me a project to consider once the G-400 Custom finally arrives! Stupid backorder!

Big difference; it pays to upgrade PU's!

I have a number of Gibson PU's, but have ended up changing magents in almost all of them, as the '57's and 490's tend to be dark, and the 498T's bright and scooped. They're well-made, high quality PU's, but for me they usually sound better with different magents (which shapes their EQ's).

My favorite Gibson PU's are the unpotted Burstbuckers from several years ago.

I put the 57's in two guitars. A '62 SG G400 and an Ibby AS103NT. I have Burstbuckers in my Epi 60 50th Anny LP Std. Best investment, EVER. Honestly, I think these two Gibson pups truly have the "mojo" tone. Sweet and soulful Alnico 2 or bold in-your-face Alnico 5 attitude. Fiddle with the knobs a tad and you can recreate all the good licks. If you're a player, and you have an Epi that feels good but lacks "something", putting the current run of REAL Gibson pickups is a wise investment.

The gits may come and go, but as for me, I keeping those pickups.

_heretic

I put the 57's in two guitars. A '62 SG G400 and an Ibby AS103NT. I have Burstbuckers in my Epi 60 50th Anny LP Std. Best investment, EVER. Honestly, I think these two Gibson pups truly have the "mojo" tone. Sweet and soulful Alnico 2 or bold in-your-face Alnico 5 attitude...The gits may come and go, but as for me, I keeping those pickups.

+1. The weakest link I've found on Epi's is the PU's. Upgrade those and you get close to Gibson territory tone-wise.

Do you have BBP's (A5) or the numbered BB's (A2)? I like the BB1 and BB2 best. Vintage PAF tone. Duncan Seth's are also excellent.

+1. The weakest link I've found on Epi's is the PU's. Upgrade those and you get close to Gibson territory tone-wise.

Do you have BBP's (A5) or the numbered BB's (A2)? I like the BB1 and BB2 best. Vintage PAF tone. Duncan Seth's are also excellent.

I agree on that but Epiphone does have a good PU now in the Probucker. My friend got a first issue 339 with the Probuckers and I hear it every weekend at pratice and have played it several times. I have said in several other posts Epiphone needs to upgrade the whole like to these PUs.

They did at first with the first run 339s then changed their mind. The first run 339s are the first Epiphone I would not change the PUs on had I also scored one back in December. Now stock with the Alnico Classics I'll pass.

Loooove A2. Even got a Weber 12" Alnico in my Silverface Deluxe Reverb.

1's and 2's. I think have one, sweet, 50th Anny V3, but I had to work it to get there. Epiphone provided a great start with beefy, long tenon neck and an authentic maple cap on a mahogany body. But, it needed CTS pots and cloth wiring, a Gotoh bridge, an aluminum stop bar, a Tusk nut., TonePro Klusons. 11's. Fantastic neck. Sustain unplugged you won't believe. Rock solid stable. Great playability.

The Ibby is a great 335-like guitar. Fantastic neck and beautiful in natural flame maple. A stunner! Very easy to go Larry Carlton.

_heretic

I agree on that but Epiphone does have a good PU now in the Probucker. My friend got a first issue 339 with the Probuckers and I hear it every weekend at pratice and have played it several times. I have said in several other posts Epiphone needs to upgrade the whole like to these PUs.

They did at first with the first run 339s then changed their mind. The first run 339s are the first Epiphone I would not change the PUs on had I also scored one back in December. Now stock with the Alnico Classics I'll pass.

So in other words when I receive my new Epi LP Custom Pro I won't want to change out the ProBucker2 & ProBucker3? This is good news!

Glad to hear Epi stepped up their game with PU's. The competition is getting tough. I think one day just about all mid-price imports will have Duncan/DiMarzio/Gibson PU's. In the meantime, they're gradually getting there.

I haven't had a chance to hear these new Probuckers yet.

I hope they're at least close to the Burstbuckers in tone, if not the 57 Classics.

It's about time Epiphone brought on some decent electrics on their guitars 'cause

their guitars alone, are 'Bloody Excellent'. It's always been a shame to have to

'Gut them' just to get the right tone out of 'em. ](*,)

I'm looking forward to testing some of these new 'Pro' models out.

Should be heaps of fun. [thumbup]

Cheers

Paul

Archived