Gibson Brands Forums

Rhythm Guitarist?

J.R.M.30!

Pete Townshend........Everytime I've seen him live, he's a better guitarist.......His leads are hidden within his playing...........

As such, he is actually an astounding lead guitarist........Study "Won't Get Fooled Again"....It's almost all lead guitar playing...........

Joe Walsh (think James Gang). While his leads were good, his rhythm was the backbone of the band's sound.

Back to Pete Townsend, I've always considered him the greatest rhythm guitarist of all time. He perfected "rhythm as lead", in addition to playing some traditional "lead" guitar.

Tom Petty, in the Documentary "Wired for Sound" (I think that was the name of it), in the interview spoke about being a rhythm guitar player...

Another rhythm guitarist... Ray Davies from the Kinks... (Dave was lead)..

Townshend has gone on record (no pun intended) as saying he considered John Entwhistle to be the 'lead guitarist' of The Who........

Seriously.

P.

I've said weird things on drugs too. Does not make them so.

There are guys like Paul Stanley, James Hetfield, Scott Ian, Pat Thrall (of the original Pat Travers Band), Stone Gossard. The guys in Thin Lizzy swapped. As did other bands with two lead guitar players, like Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. I would say that two of my biggest heroes, Ace Frehley, and especially Alex Lifeson, excel at both. Andy Summers is another.

I was just about to add Paul Stanley.In concert instead of playing a lead solo spot he starts one and it's not very good (on purpose

).Then he goes on to play a killer spot of rhythm and he is amazing.

I've always really liked Stephen Stills Rhythm playing he is amazing.Anybody who can play Suite Judy Blue Eyesalone on an acoustic with Nash and Crosby just singing is wicked talented.

Archived