Gibson Brands Forums

This looks fake

OldGuitarPlayer

The trussrod cover on this guitar has 3 screws. I always thought Gibson truss rod covers had 2 screws. Maybe it's not original though. Again I am no expert but thought that the 1970's J-45 Deluxe was square shouldered. [unsure]

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-72-Gibson-Kalamazoo-USA-J-45-J45-Acoustic-Guitar-w-Case-25-5-Scale-/230774694922?pt=Guitar&hash=item35bb3e640a#ht_6665wt_965

The trussrod cover on this guitar has 3 screws. I always thought Gibson truss rod covers had 2 screws. Maybe it's not original though. Again I am no expert but thought that the 1970's J-45 Deluxe was square shouldered. [unsure]

Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-72-Gibson-Kalamazoo-USA-J-45-J45-Acoustic-Guitar-w-Case-25-5-Scale-/230774694922?pt=Guitar&hash=item35bb3e640a#ht_6665wt_965

The 3 screw TR cover is a dead give away that it's a fake. Gibson never used a 3 screw TR cover and the "fakers" get this wrong a lot. Stay away from this beast.

The 3 screw TR cover is a dead give away that it's a fake. Gibson never used a 3 screw TR cover and the "fakers" get this wrong a lot. Stay away from this beast.

Agree with Paul. Don't think that pickguard design is quite right, either. Surprisingly good, otherwise, although the belly-down fixed-saddle bridge is also suspicious.

Gibson Did use three screw truss covers on Norlin Era Square shoulder guitars. I have one . Bought it for $100.00 in 1976.

You're right Elton, they used the 3 screw truss covers also on some j-200.

here a 1974 j-200 artist

2508561_1334067477.jpg

The guitar in question IS square-shouldered! And I believe the 3-screwed TRC would be the LEAST 'bone of contention' of whether the guitar is genuine or not. At least to my way of thinking.

The guitar in question IS square-shouldered! And I believe the 3-screwed TRC would be the LEAST 'bone of contention' of whether the guitar is genuine or not. At least to my way of thinking.

Most of the details look right, and the label certainly does. I don't know enough about Norlin-era sqaures to really comment intelligently. Even it if it's genuine, the headstock repair and Norlin heritage make it questionable at best, at any price.

Why would anyone build a fake square shouldered J-45?

And if they did why would it have a headstock crack?

And why would they deliberately mark it as a factory second? (This one has a factory second stamp on the back of the headstock).

It's a real Norlin era J-45.

LOL you are right. I guess I was half asleep when I first looked at the pictures.

I don't know but something just didn't seem right to me about that guitar. I guess it was the 3 screw truss rod cover that made me think it wasn't legit.

A mid-1970s J-45 which did have the three screw truss rods.

Looks totally legit to me.

I would first do a search to find out what these guitars normally sell for. If the average street price on the guitar is say $1600 (that is just a guess), I would figure on taking between $900 and $1000 off for the broken headstock.

Yes, even with square shoulders and 3 screw TRC, genuine Norlin.

There are some legit complaints about Norlin era Gibson guitars, but there are gems to be found. However, Norlin era coupled that headstock crack would be a deal killer for me.

I am certainly not interested in purchasing he guitar in question even if it is genuine. I just thought it was odd looking and quite possibly a fake. I posted the eBay listing to see what the learned group of Gibson experts here thought of it being legit or not. I learned something new. [biggrin]

I am certainly not interested in purchasing he guitar in question even if it is genuine. I just thought it was odd looking and quite possibly a fake. I posted the eBay listing to see what the learned group of Gibson experts here thought of it being legit or not. I learned something new. [biggrin]

Learning something new isnt a bad thing... But owning one of those could be.. :rolleyes:

Archived