Gibson Brands Forums

What is the worst pedal you ever owned?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MXR Super Comp. What a turd. I had been using an old Ibanez CP-9 Compressor for years and was very happy with it. My band moved to a new practice room and it somehow got damaged and stopped working. My brother took it to a guy he works with to see if he could fix it. I printed out a schematic and hoped for the best. The guy took forever to get it running. In the meantime I bought a MXR Super Comp as a replacement. I spent a total of 10 hours with it then yanked it out of my signal chain. It was useless. The pedal distorts more than it compresses. I finally ebayed it a year later for less than half of what I paid for it. I got the repaired Ibanez back but I don`t use it anymore. Go figure.....

Either a Rocktek compressor (TONE SUCKER!!!) or a Mad Dog (by Washburn!) flanger that I bought at a mall in Billings, MT......

What's with all the DS-1 hate?!?!!?!?! Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Frusciante, and Jake E. Lee would disagree with you guys (what do you DS-1 haters think of those guys anyways?) Sure, not the greatest distortion device ever built (unless you mod them!), but I love mine! I usually prefer amp gain, but the DS-1 gets that late-70s/early 80s Alex Lifeson-type tone, which my Peavey's dirty channel can't. It sounds very good to me. And it makes a decent gain boost for amp distortion (obviously not for high gain amps, but on an old Marshall, it does a decent job!).

As far as the Timeline, the complicated stuff is there for people who demand it!

The worst pedal I ever had was a Jen Jumbo Fuzz which I bought in 1974 and have only used 5 or 6 times.I bought it because I had the Jen made Cry Baby wah wah and it was an incredible pedal-infact I still have it-and I figured that the fuzz would be of the same quality.I could never get a sound I liked from it no matter how much I tweaked.Since I had bought it at an "All Sales Final" event I couldn't return the POS and didn't try it out in the store because iI had naively figured if it was made by Jennings-who also made Vox-then it must be a great pedal,boy was I ever off on that one.Thanks for bringing up this thread though because I hadn't tried that pedal for about 10 years or more and it's still in the music room so tomorrow I'll dig it out and give it another go.

The worst pedal I ever had was a Jen Jumbo Fuzz which I bought in 1974 and have only used 5 or 6 times.I bought it because I had the Jen made Cry Baby wah wah and it was an incredible pedal-infact I still have it-and I figured that the fuzz would be of the same quality.I could never get a sound I liked from it no matter how much I tweaked.Since I had bought it at an "All Sales Final" event I couldn't return the POS and didn't try it out in the store because iI had naively figured if it was made by Jennings-who also made Vox-then it must be a great pedal,boy was I ever off on that one.Thanks for bringing up this thread though because I hadn't tried that pedal for about 10 years or more and it's still in the music room so tomorrow I'll dig it out and give it another go.

It'll be funny if you suddenly fall in love with it now (stranger things have happened, probably all different guitars and amps, maybe it'll work with what you've gotten since!). Fingers crossed.

My first... and worst...

SquareWave.jpg

Though I bought it for $35 and sold it many years later for $100. Sounded like a$ though.

I take it that it sounded "square wave"? LOL!

What year was it? Did you buy it new?

It seems to read "MADE IN USA" on the housing, but I can't see it clearly.

Speaking of DeArmond, those old Weeper wahs are sweet! A friend has one from 72', along with a volume pedal that came with it. The pot inside is HUGE!

I built a clone of the Zen Drive and I couldn't seem to get a good sound out of it. Idk? perhaps I didn't play with it long enough but I needed some cash so I sold it for $100. (not bad for about $15-$20 in parts). The guy who bought it gets some good sounds out of it but I never could. It was a decent pedal but I guess since I have a dumble clone amp the pedal wasn't doing it for me.

Oddly, about the same time I built a clone of the Love Pedal - Eternity that I was going to give to a friend and it turned out that I really liked it (and due to the same problem above - short on cash and could not afford to ship it overseas - I kept the pedal) and have it on my pedal board now.

I have a gang of PT2399s if you need a few dude

Nah its fine bro, i got it.

I just ordered a drill press to drill my own enclosures so once i get that i'll start ordering the part to build this baby delay. I'm pretty excited.

I have a gang of PT2399s if you need a few dude

I just ordered a drill press to drill my own enclosures so once i get that i'll start ordering the part to build this baby delay. I'm pretty excited.

Cool dude. What kind of drill press did you get? I just got a cool little step drill bit that I use with my Makita to drill enclosures. It rocks. No more predrilled boxes for me.

Cool dude. What kind of drill press did you get? I just got a cool little step drill bit that I use with my Makita to drill enclosures. It rocks. No more predrilled boxes for me.

It was a Craftsman from Sears, i'm starting to learn that every time i go cheap with tools they just end up breaking really soon so i dished out some good cash on this one. They can last you a life time if you take care of it.

Do you put together your own guitar cables to?

Cool man. I hope it lasts for you and you get lots of good use out of it.

I haven't made any of my own cables, but my main one just broke yesterday so I'm gonna put a couple together.

Oh, i was wondering if you knew anything about all the cables and plugs they have at Mammoth Electronics. There's a bunch of them and i can't really seem to find which one is the right one to choose, guess i'll just guess and experiment.

every time i go cheap with tools they just end up breaking really soon so i dished out some good cash on this one. They can last you a life time if you take care of it.

Sounds like advice our dads gave out! Good on ya. [thumbup]

Oh, i was wondering if you knew anything about all the cables and plugs they have at Mammoth Electronics. There's a bunch of them and i can't really seem to find which one is the right one to choose, guess i'll just guess and experiment.

Ahh. I wouldn't drop too much on the cable personally. I looked through what they've got, and I'd go for the Chandler Spectra cable because it's not super thin or thick, it's cheap, and it comes in weird colors so my bandmates won't accidentally take my cables.

I just read some discussion on the plugs the other day, and Amphenol and Neutrik were recommended. Apparently the Amphenols are the best. I couldn't tell you personally, but I've used lots of Neutrik jacks in my pedals and the quality is excellent.

Boss Metalzone. Anyone who's ever owned one probably understands why. Not really a bad pedal if sounding like Metallica is what you actually want... but it's not good for much else.

I've got a soft spot for Boss pedals, but the Metalzone is probably one of the worst I've had too.

Awesome feedback everyone this is a big help on what to avoid purchasing in the future or testing with my own ear/rig. My current pedal chain consists of Hardwire Tuner, X-Series Compressor (soon to be swapped for Keeley four knob... hopefully soon), X-Series Synth Wah (giving it another try before I use it as a paper weight), Boss Acoustic Simulator, Whammy4, CryBaby Classic, CryBaby Original, MXR Double Shot, Hardwire Tube Overdrive, Boss Blues Driver, MXR Micro Amp, Boss Phase Shifter, X-Series Multi Chorus, Hardwire Delay, BBE Sonic Stomp (just purchased today)

I like running my wah before distortion but I'm still experimenting with my placement of the acoustic simulator and the phase shifter... The phase pedal seems to cut my signal so much so I figure if I stuck it next to the micro amp I could engage both with one foot.

Besides the Keeley I want to stick a feedback pedal in there because some bars/clubs that I perform in don't have enough room for me to turn up to where I can get feedback. The only problem I think I would have with that pedal is the slow reaction time for feedback to kick in. Maybe a bit of experimenting is in need. Also I would like to get a decimator to rid the aweful hiss the mxr gives on a high gain setting. Also a lot of hiss comes from the acoustic simulator...

Any critiques to my chain set up? It is sounding good to my ear but I am always open to suggestion!

And I just remembered another crap pedal I bought, well two. Soundtank delay and the other, a rocktron heart attack that I used for a RAGE song. When we dropped that song I dropped the pedal.

By far and Ive had some of the worst pedals you could think of it has to be the SLASH Dunlop Wah its distortion is just a squeal is unusable and its wah has no bass and is just pure tinny crap. It lasted a week I traded it back to the store where its sat for 8 months

By far and Ive had some of the worst pedals you could think of it has to be the SLASH Dunlop Wah its distortion is just a squeal is unusable and its wah has no bass and is just pure tinny crap. It lasted a week I traded it back to the store where its sat for 8 months

You rejected SLASHTONE ????? [blush][blink][lol] .......I like the MC-404 and the 535Q.......I notice we use four of the same pedals.....[thumbup] .....

Hello! The worst pedal I ever owned was the Boss Fender Bassman pedal. I took it back to shop because I thought it was faulty. They checked it and said it works properly. I couldn't find any evidence of it's doing anything except for some hardly audible overdrive. Generally I have bad experience with Boss pedals. They kind of sound harsh and metallic. Cheers... Bence

Archived