Gibson Brands Forums

Great songs that have no chorus

jaxson50

I used to enjoy 'the Soft Parade' too...."Tropic corridor, tropic treasure"....Jim got well away on the fade of that one!

But, back on track - no chorus in 'Purple Haze', 'Hey Joe'...the point about Dylan is well made as many of his earlier songs don't go to a chorus, as on the 'Bringin' it all back home' album.

Most Stones numbers have a distinct chorus...thinking about the Beatles, does 'Hey Jude' really have a chorus? Or 'When I'm 64'? In that tune, the title/tag 'will you still need me' etc occurs at the end of the verse.

The deep blues (Muddy, Wolf, John Lee and many more) doesn't usually have choruses. Nor do many 32-bar standards which follow an AABA pattern (vs, vs, mid 8, vs) or similar. However the OP refers to rock, pop, etc so I'm a bit off track again here. Country music most always has a chorus. At the other end of the spectrum, how about the original 'Black Sabbath'? 'Dazed and Confused'? Would you say there is a chorus in that?

Good thread!

99% of Rush

You're incorrect....

Most Rush songs (And I should know, cause' I'm a full-bore Rushian!) have a chorus, even if it occurs only once in the song. I am not counting their many instrumentals.

Closer To The Heart, The Necromancer, and Red Sector A don't have choruses (the latter sure has a lot of chorusING!), however.

And does "The Spirit Of Radio" qualify as having a chorus"? I'm not sure. It can go either way.

Archived