Gibson Brands Forums

Soft creamy OverDrive?

Andrew Riggs

I'm sorry for the repeat posts. I ordered a Fulltone OCD and don't like it very much. It sounds alot like a fuzz pedal to me. I want an overdrive that is something that will be a "always on pedal" I've heard people say the Ts9 is a pedal like this and so is the Voodoo lab sparkle drive. I need something that will sound good with basic powerchords "lead electric worship music" I have a epiphone les paul with a vox ac15.

I love mine.......Very popular pedals.....Cheap as heck.........Killer tones, even killer looks.....

Heck, I have all the WayHuge pedals, even a couple of the same ones...( Why keep opening them up to change the internals knobs ?? )...

Did you try it with the switch on low peak and the drive turned down? If its set on HP mode with the drive up you're going to get lots of distortion.

Yes I have messed with it for a few hours. I'm not a fan of the green rhino. I'm very disappointed with my ocd I thought it would meet my needs. Is the ts9 what I'm looking for?

Did you try it with the switch on low peak and the drive turned down? If its set on HP mode with the drive up you're going to get lots of distortion.

Yes I have messed with it for a few hours. I'm not a fan of the green rhino. I'm very disappointed with my ocd I thought it would meet my needs. Is the ts9 what I'm looking for?

No one can answer that question except you. You'll know it when you here it.

If you don't like the Green Rhino, chances are you're not going to like the TS-9 very much.

New (as in post-90s) Tube Screamers cut off the bass and lack creaminess. Nothing like the originals at all. I would suggest a Maxon OD-9 or OD-808 for authentic screamer tones, but it doesn't look like it's your bag.

I would get a modded Boss Blues Driver or an Xotic AC Booster based on your criteria.

Even a modded Boss SD-1 would be great.

I am also a fan of the Barber LTD pedal for these applications. They go for around $130 new. Great pedals.

And I would consider looking at some of Brian Wampler's boxes.

I can't imagine, owning a Vox AC-15 (or AC-30) and needing Any pedal on, "all the time?!" If you

have taken the time, to discover the best tone combination, of your guitar and amp, but need more

sustain/"Creamy" tone, try a good Compression pedal. If you get a good one (Keeley, among other's)

and set it properly, you'll never need an "overdrive" pedal, save (maybe) for boosting a lead, hear

and there, and/or for a very specific effect. Vox (tube) amps, are just about "Tone Heaven," by

themselves...with almost any guitar, as long as you take the time to find that "sweet tone," with just

your guitar, to begin with. Pedals, should only be used, to accentuate, or deliver a specific effect.

NOT, as a substitute, for good, honest, amp/guitar tone!

IMHO, as always! Good luck! :>)

CB

Well, at least you have bought a pedal! That's actually a start.

The reason you don't like the one you bought is because 1) you failed to try it out first and 2) you are likely expecting a distortion pedal to to things it can't do.

It might actually BE a pedal you like, but you need to work with it and practice using it to understand what a distortion pedal can do and what it CAN'T do. There is no distortion pedal that can produce every tone you want all the time. You at least have to change the settings on it to get different sounds, and not every setting will work for every sound you want to get.

When playing with a distorted sound, getting that sound from a pedal is a lot different than getting it from the amp. Mainly, it REACTS differently. And you may notice things like a pedal that is adjusted for a great single note distorted tone may sound very crappy for chord work, or a pedal that is adjusted to sound good on all the time isn't what is required for leads.

Basically, when using a distortion pedal to get good tone, if you do it well, you play the pedal to it's strenghts and don't play things it doesn't sound good when it is on, and you turn it on when you want those tones it has. Turn it OFF when you want to play things it DOESN'T sound good with it the way it is adjusted or meant to be used.

Not trying to put you off to pedals, but you need to be aware it takes practice. Using pedals and adjusting them is an art and a skill in itself.

Unless you really hate this pedal, you might use it to practice adjusting and playing it. Rather than look for a pedal that has a sound you haven't heard or can't get, try and see what you can get with what you have.

I have a feeling what you are expecting a single pedal to do is not a possibility. But you CAN learn how to use them and get the tone you want. Even if it means learning to get it from the amp instead of a pedal.

I know this is going to sound elementary but have you tried rolling off the volume and tone pots on the guitar? Having these up all the way is going to give you a brash sound. Set the volume at the amp and use your guitar volume to vary the clean/overdrive/distortion.

Maybe Eric's woman tone is more what you're after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4vxOoSS5RY

I got the Marshall blues breaker 1962 combo(Clapton reissue) this weekend. Got in my local store on Friday that's rebuilding, and found it for sale for 1300$(List prize Where i live is 2400$). And they said i could bring it home for the whole weekend. Great Service [thumbup] Anyway, as this baby has no gain and get insane high on 10. I tried it out with my Mad Professor "Sky blue overdrive", Found a sweet spot with pedal overdrive level on 10-11 and distortion level on 0-3. The two other controls "texture" And "Z" shaped the sound nicely. It is the best Overdrive/distortion pedal i have tried but i haven't tried a lot of them. Got that tubescreamer ts 808,it collects dust i just don't like it

perhaps try the X-Otic BB preamp pedal, this the kind of sound you can get with a strat, I made this video when I received it:

Now I don't know exactly the sound you're looking for but with my OCD playin' with the guitar volume knob I was able to get a wide range of sound from the light overdrive 'til the fuzz tone, I try it with several guitar:

The G2D Creamtone is IMHO a great mild overdrive pedal, as is the Mad Professor Sweet Honey - there are good uTube demos of this one. I do not think you could go wrong with either of these fine pedals.

Also the Xotic AC as mentioned, and the Visual Sound Route 66.

There is a huge amount of choice out there these days. A great many 'mild' overdrive pedals have the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer as their 'inspiration'. There are 4 Ibanez versions of the Tube Screamer on the market right now. And there are uTube demos of them too.

Well, I was one who suggested Tube Screamers in your first post in the subject. But hey, you want what you want. I'd suggest again, trying as many as possible to find out. If that is not an option (or even if it is), spend some time viewing demos on YouTube. Also keep in mind when doing so though, that everyone's set up is different. Some are more knowledgeable on how to properly run the pedals. Some will show a lot of variation in set up, some will not. Some have good mics, some use the camera/computer mic.... etc, etc. But this can still be helpful.

In the end, why not try a TS9 (if it is indeed an OD you are after, it is one of the most popular in the world).

I was thinking the same thing C.B......Those are great amps....I thought about suggesting a compressor, but, Andrew want an "overdrive."

Yeah, I hear ya, Damian....it's just that with those particular Vox amps, with the "top boost," you get all the "overdrive,"

you could ever want (IMHO), and a compressor, would allow even more sustain, to that natural tube overdrive (which cleans up,

nicely, when the top boost isn't in use), thereby creating a more "creamy" tone. But, everyone's different, I know...in their

wants, and even their definition(s), of "Creamy tone!" LOL So...??? Whatever works! ;>)

CB

The G2D Creamtone is IMHO a great mild overdrive pedal, as is the Mad Professor Sweet Honey - there are good uTube demos of this one. I do not think you could go wrong with either of these fine pedals.

Also the Xotic AC as mentioned, and the Visual Sound Route 66.

There is a huge amount of choice out there these days. A great many 'mild' overdrive pedals have the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer as their 'inspiration'. There are 4 Ibanez versions of the Tube Screamer on the market right now. And there are uTube demos of them too.

I wish I had enough money for the g2d cream tone! That and the analogman tone king are my dream pedals!

Archived