Gibson Brands Forums

"It Might Get Loud"

J.R.M.30!

I actually enjoyed the Anvil film.... and found it quite inspirational.... and quite moving. Those guys live their music..

Absoloutly agree.. it was funny, sad, emotional and frustrating all at the same time.. Great film.. You gotta feel for those guys.

And im sure it was done on purpose but some of the scenes were right out of Spinal Tap.. :)

Absoloutly agree.. it was funny, sad, emotional and frustrating all at the same time.. Great film.. You gotta feel for those guys.

And im sure it was done on purpose but some of the scenes were right out of Spinal Tap.. :)

yeah - the Tap was there too......!

My sentiments exactly. They had three diverse guitarists from three generations of rock.

If Paul Gilbert had been in it, I wouldn't have watched it.

Hmmn, not a fan of shred I see?

I don't like U2 or most of White's music (The White Stripes are decent. The Raconteurs are better IMHO, but they still don't blow me away), but I still watched it....

Everybody's allowed to have their own opinions and what not, and maybe The Edge and White do a couple things better than Paul, but Paul's goofy personality would probably draw you right it in...

So, if I were to go with diverse talents, I would go...

Page, Andy Summers (even though he is two years Page's senior...), and maybe someone like John Frusciante (even though I am not a big Chili Peppers fan) or Tom Morello.

Well, now you can't count me in with the "have watched" group.

I can see where one might find it boring or slow. And while there was a lot I expected to see that I didn't see much of, I think the film really took me into a direction I didn't expect: What it was like for each of them to follow the path of a musician. I mean, it really took me to that place.

As far as appreciating someone I might not really care for, the surprise was Jack White. I didn't know much about him before, but judging from the music I have heard, I saw him as a guy with limeted talent who made up for it by having a sense of style and knowing how to make the most of what he has, as well as how to make a place for himself by being hip to the times. But what I saw in the film was exactly the opposite: he is HUGELY talented, able to pick a sound or a tone out of thin air, using both the guitar and his voice. And he far from sucks as a guitar player (unlike the "image" he seems to project). And instead of being hip, he seems genuinely lost on what he should be doing or wants to do, but rather SEARCHING hard for it.

I really expected to see the 3 of them picking each others brains about how and whay they did this and that, but I saw little, very little of that. THAT would be interesting to me, because I really have no idea what that would be like to see. Maybe they are just too far apart? I think the more acurate answer is, that isn't what the film is about.

What I was really hit by was the generation differences, and how you can see it in all of them together. I mean not the times so much, as the maturity of these 3 men and where they are in their lives and careers. And after THAT hits me, it seems they all are the same man, with the same heart.

I'd never heard of Jack White until I saw the film. I'm not a fan of his music, but he's a talented man. You could see his mind churning, watching Page. He picked up the riffs straight away, but Edge was lost. He struggled to follow the other two. His career has been based on an effect, not playing. it's funny sometimes how things can change your mind on people. I never liked Clapton until I saw him live. He really came across in concert. Similar with Page. I wasn't a big fan, until I saw this film. He IS a major talent. Even though I don't personally like his style, he knows his stuff. I think the film was ok, but could have been better.

I really liked the movie also hopefully this was just trolling to get a conversation started. But anybody that really hated this might want to look at other instruments as maybe guitar just isn't your thing. I though it was fascinating with three very different men with very different sounds and how music was enough to give them something in common.

Of course the purpose was to find 3 guitar players with different styles, that you wouldn't expect to see together and show how this common bond "The Guitar" is really the star.

I really enjoyed listening how they got their specific sound. It was cool to see Page coherent, the Edge's humble sense of humor and although his Edward Scissorhands act bores me I understand White being there. (although Dave Grohl being a fan of the other 2 might have been a better choice)

I don't get all the hate for Jack White. The Stripes are my favorite band, and I have all his records with them, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and his new solo album.

You guys talk about his 'gimmick' or 'hipster sensibilities' as if it were fact. Thing is, the White Stripes were only supposed to be an experiment to see if the De Styjl mythos could be applied sonically -- as well as visually -- within the confines of a rock & roll band. He wrote a few tunes that people in high places liked, and the band took off.

Once that felt stale, he started a new band with The Raconteurs. When the rest of THAT band wanted a break, he started ANOTHER band and kept plugging away. And while doing all that, he still found time to start an independent label, sign young artists, and open one of the coolest record stores around, all while producing albums for several other artists.

I mean, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. A lot of posters talk about 'keeping the faith' or 'never stop rocking' and how 'music is in your blood', but when a guy goes out and lives the dream, you're the first ones to call him a hack. Listen, the man writes, sings, and plays every several instruments on his own songs. He still plays the same cheap guitars and amps he started out with, and he's never okay with taking a break. He eats, sleeps, and breathes music -- just like all of us.

The only difference is he got noticed and gets paid a TON of money to do it.

Not liking his music is understandable. Hell, I've been playing guitar for eleven years and STILL don't understand why guys like Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, and Malmsteen are popular -- but that doesn't mean they're not talented, vibrant musicians. I can hear that it takes talent to play like that, and I'd almost bet every guy I just named would give their left nut to have just ONE of Jack White's hit songs.

Am I saying White's better than them? No, far from it. But he has a knack for writing simple, catchy, quirky songs that they don't. And those four players can play circles around White every day of the week, but couldn't write a hit if their lives depended on it.

I don't get all the hate for Jack White. The Stripes are my favorite band, and I have all his records with them, The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and his new solo album.

You guys talk about his 'gimmick' or 'hipster sensibilities' as if it were fact. Thing is, the White Stripes were only supposed to be an experiment to see if the De Styjl mythos could be applied sonically -- as well as visually -- within the confines of a rock & roll band. He wrote a few tunes that people in high places liked, and the band took off.

Once that felt stale, he started a new band with The Raconteurs. When the rest of THAT band wanted a break, he started ANOTHER band and kept plugging away. And while doing all that, he still found time to start an independent label, sign young artists, and open one of the coolest record stores around, all while producing albums for several other artists.

I mean, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. A lot of posters talk about 'keeping the faith' or 'never stop rocking' and how 'music is in your blood', but when a guy goes out and lives the dream, you're the first ones to call him a hack. Listen, the man writes, sings, and plays every several instruments on his own songs. He still plays the same cheap guitars and amps he started out with, and he's never okay with taking a break. He eats, sleeps, and breathes music -- just like all of us.

Not liking his music is understandable. Hell, I've been playing guitar for eleven years and STILL don't understand why guys like Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, and Malmsteen are popular -- but that doesn't mean they're not talented, vibrant musicians. I can hear that it takes talent to play like that, and I'd almost bet every guy I just named would give their left nut to have just ONE of Jack White's hit songs.

Am I saying White's better than them? No, far from it. But he has a knack for writing simple, catchy, quirky songs that they don't. And those four players can play circles around White every day of the week, but couldn't write a hit if their lives depended on it.

Yeah I totally agree.. I think one of the best artists around at the moment..

Hes managed to make it and do things his way apart from oddly enough the White Stripes which as you mentioned wasnt even meant to really make it.. He was just trying stuff out and even that was good enough to get him noticed..

As for his style.. Well that took me a while to get into but I totally love it now.. In saying that his live performances for me can be hit and miss.. Sometimes it really does get a bit chaotic (too much for me anyway). Even his albums take me a few listens to get into the vibe.. But I always do :)

He totally challanges himself too like when he played at the Chelsea Pensioners Club.. lol .. how many people would do that?

Did you join the forum just to lecture us because we're so glad your here.

You just don't get this forum thing do you?? By being coherent and clearly stating a valid opinion..........you have let yourself in for all sorts of abuse!

(ps I think you were pretty much spot on)

Now, that last sentence....

I love Satriani and Malmsteen a ton, but I am aware that they cannot write a hit: it would be to complicated to be a hit. But Satch is with Chickenfoot so does that count?

And on the other hand, Vai and Gilbert have made or helped made hits. Steve worked with Frank Zappa early on in his career, and then played in David Lee Roth's original solo band, and then Whitesnake.

Paul Gilbert is in Mr. Big. They did have a hit with "To Be With You" (which is just a cookie-cutter power ballad IMHO), but if I was in charge of the radio, "Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy", "Addicted To That Rush", "Green Tinted Sixties Thing", and "Take Cover" would be played all the time. They should have been hits IMHO.

Paul's solo stuff as well as Racer X isn't exactly radio-suitable, but Mr. Big songs should be all over the radio.

You guys are like a toothache, except I can't pop a Vicodin to turn you down.

The lineup was perfect. You have a guitar legend and one of the original electric guitar heroes in Jimmy Page, a sonic innovator from the post Zeppelin era in The Edge, and the next generation of guitar heroes with lots of bratty attitude in Jack White. Three very different players; each with something to bring to the film.

The whole "they should have had guitarist x instead of that hack Jack White or wtf is the Edge doing in that film" argument is silly.

chuckymack is spot on. I don't get the whole hatting on Jack White thing. That cat can play and is a mega talent; not some cookie cutter dope with an angular haircut and a ride to rehearsal in mom's SUV. The Colonel Sanders meets Anton Levay and candy stripped outfits are just icing on the cake. Believe me, he can back it up.

You guys are like a toothache, except I can't pop a Vicodin to turn you down.

The lineup was perfect. You have a guitar legend and one of the original electric guitar heroes in Jimmy Page, a sonic innovator from the post Zeppelin era in The Edge, and the next generation of guitar heroes with lots of bratty attitude in Jack White. Three very different players; each with something to bring to the film.

The whole "they should have had guitarist x instead of that hack Jack White or wtf is the Edge doing in that film" argument is silly.

chuckymack is spot on. I don't get the whole hatting on Jack White thing. That cat can play and is a mega talent; not some cookie cutter dope with an angular haircut and a ride to rehearsal in mom's SUV. The Colonel Sanders meets Anton Levay and candy stripped outfits are just icing on the cake. Believe me, he can back it up.

Fully.

Didn't Satch write "Surfing With The Alien"?

Not that I don't think Jack isn't going places. He could have something that big any time now.

Not that it matters, though.

Not that I don't think Jack isn't going places. He could have something that big any time now.

What are you on lol?? Hes had several massive hits.. One of them hase become a sport chant now that was used in the European Football Cup that every country's supporters chanted... Lol you dont get much bigger :) (and it was a huge hit in its own right too)

this is what happened when Spain won..

Joe has sold pretty close to 10 million solo records/CDs from what I've gathered, Jack in just the White Stripes were around that number I believe. In sheer number of albums sold with Satch playing the gap probably widens considerably, though.

I love Satriani and Malmsteen a ton, but I am aware that they cannot write a hit: it would be to complicated to be a hit.

You must be young, Yngwie had several radio hits from his first 4 albums, the rest you can blame on grunge.

Compared to the Thrash Metal scene of the 80's (which also saw radio play) Yngwie sounded melodic in comparison.

Archived