Gibson Brands Forums

"It Might Get Loud"

J.R.M.30!

Has anybody seen this rockumentary yet? I watched it a while back. I kept telling myself I wanted to like it but it came across as well boring. The movie is about three rock musicians, Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge telling stories about how they each developed their sound and what shaped them as a musicians in the past. Nevermind Jimmy and Edge have there best days behind them in my fervent opinion. In fact their stories were too short, simplistic and uninteresting for the most part. Don't get me wrong, these musicians are talented, I respect their music, especially White's collab with Loretta Lynn in "Love Interruption" but I don't think this film is worth three stars. I think this film is just for the three musicians and NOT for the audience or people following aimlessly with the film. :rolleyes:

Has anybody seen this rockumentary yet? I watched it a while back. I kept telling myself I wanted to like it but it came across as well boring. The movie is about three rock musicians, Jimmy Page, Jack White and The Edge telling stories about how they each developed their sound and what shaped them as a musicians in the past. Nevermind Jimmy and Edge have there best days behind them in my fervent opinion. In fact their stories were too short, simplistic and uninteresting for the most part. Don't get me wrong, these musicians are talented, I respect their music, especially White's collab with Loretta Lynn in "Love Interruption" but I don't think this film is worth three stars. I think this film is just for the three musicians and NOT for the audience or people following aimlessly with the film. :rolleyes:

Did White collaborate with Loretta on Love Interruption?? hmm.

It was Ruby Amanfu for Love Interruption

http://www.nme.com/news/jack-white/61748

I thought "It might Get loud" was an outstanding film. I assumed anyone into rock music in any way would love it. Obviously not. Oh well.

Manse

Yup I agree with you.. I loved it.. Id have liked someone else other than The Edge.. but it was still a great film..

(imagine if it were Dave Gilmour rather, I think that may have been too much though, maybe thats why they didnt do that ;))

By the way.. if you want to watch a REALLY REALLY good one you may enjoy more.. Watch Anvil: The Story of Anvil, its like Spinal Tap but real life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF4H8lB2Y_o

Id have liked someone else other than The Edge.. but it was still a great film..

I read before this came out that the producer wanted those 3 specifically, and if any of the 3 said no, the project was off (can't remember his name, but he's a big time guitar collector as well, it seems). Edge was in because of his use of "effects" as I remember.

I've yet to see it, but this will serve as a "reminder to self" [biggrin]

I read before this came out that the producer wanted those 3 specifically, and if any of the 3 said no, the project was off (can't remember his name, but he's a big time guitar collector as well, it seems). Edge was in because of his use of "effects" as I remember.

I've yet to see it, but this will serve as a "reminder to self" [biggrin]

Yeah I kinda understand where they were coming from.. Three totally different types of guitarists...

Either way it is an amazing film.. I dont know how someone who loves rock and guitar cant like the bit where Jimmy gets his Les Paul out and starts playing the Whole Lotta Love riff and Jack White and the Edge are sitting there grinning from ear to ear.. Who wouldnt want to witness that? :)

No offense to the Edge or White but Page was the best thing about that movie.

Agreed. I didn't get why those two were paired with him.

I would have got Eddie Van Halen instead of The Edge and Paul Gilbert instead of Jack White.

Now, THOSE THREE in a jam would be so epic they'd make it illegal!

Agreed. I didn't get why those two were paired with him.

I would have got Eddie Van Halen instead of The Edge and Paul Gilbert instead of Jack White.

Now, THOSE THREE in a jam would be so epic they'd make it illegal!

LOL! Ant no telling man, maybe there friends or something. I can hear a lot of Page influence in both White and The Edge but you can hear influence of Page in a lot of guitar player's.

LOL! Ant no telling man, maybe there friends or something. I can hear a lot of Page influence in both White and The Edge but you can hear influence of Page in a lot of guitar player's.

I think it's because all are "commercially acceptable" (All are featured in Rolling Stone magazine a LOT!), compared to others like Alex Lifeson, Eddie Van Halen, Michael Schenker, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Yngwie, George Lynch, etc.

The Edge and Jack White both have stories and they please the critics and Page is a God so there ya' go!

But stories of how you wanted to make a difference and whatever "attitude" White and The Edge have doesn't stand up to what Eddie did for rock guitar IMHO.

Pagey is a guitar hero. EVH is a guitar hero.

The Edge is a sideman that isn't a great guitar player but happens to be good with textures and effects. Jack White is a hipster with a cheap plank, a cheap old tube amp, and a Big Muff that makes noise.

Neither of those are guitar heroes IMHO. One is a sideman with the biggest rack systems in the business and the other is a garage guitar player. Do the math.

A few weeks back I caught the last 45 minutes or so of this on the Palladia channel on Comcast.

I thought it was very good, and would like to record the whole thing to watch it again.

I had seen parts of it too when doing a search for Jimi Page a month back on YouTube.

I was very surprised to see Page with gray hair, I still pictured him in his youth from so long ago.

You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

I haven't seen it yet, but obviously, have seen parts of it.

The concept seems obvious to me: take 3 guitarist who are the farthest away from each other as can be found, put them together and see what happens.

In order to have THAT, naturally there will be some who don't care or don't know much about the other(s).

I BELIEVE the point of the film is to see what happens with 3 DIFFERENT guitarist and see how they react and learn from each other.

I think if a viewer was not willing to learn about someone they don't care for or know nothing about, that would be missing the point of watching 3 guitarist do the same.

I haven't seen it yet, but obviously, have seen parts of it.

The concept seems obvious to me: take 3 guitarist who are the farthest away from each other as can be found, put them together and see what happens.

In order to have THAT, naturally there will be some who don't care or don't know much about the other(s).

I BELIEVE the point of the film is to see what happens with 3 DIFFERENT guitarist and see how they react and learn from each other.

I think if a viewer was not willing to learn about someone they don't care for or know nothing about, that would be missing the point of watching 3 guitarist do the same.

i think you pretty much nailed it!

I thought it was much better with Jack White in it...i enjoyed learning about all 3 approaches to guitar...very different approaches.

My sentiments exactly. They had three diverse guitarists from three generations of rock.

If Paul Gilbert had been in it, I wouldn't have watched it.

Archived