Gibson Brands Forums

The phone rang at 12:45 this morning

ksdaddy

A couple days ago my oldest daughter called me and said her car radio went out momentarily when she went over a bump. Friday she said it stalled altogether after hitting a bump. I said I'd look into it; sounded like a bad connection somewhere, maybe in the fuse box... WHO KNOWS....

Last night the phone rang and rang and rang until I go up and answered it. "Dad, my car is on fire! I called the fire department but it's right near so and so's house and omigod what if it catches fire and the flmes are shooting out everywhere and WHAT DO I DO?"

Not a hell of a lot TO do except wait for the fire dept I guess. She had taken a friend home after work and when they pulled in the driveway she saw smoke and they go out... just in time to see flames erupting.

So I jumped in MY Camry and headed there. As I got into town I met a town cop who turned around and followed me all the way across town BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO. Apparently I didn't "weave" nor did my taillight "flicker" nor did I drive 25.00001 MPH so he gave up the surveillance. I was livid about that. Friggin' stupid rookie small town cops need to follow a car across town just because it's 12:45 AM... God knows I could be up to no good in my 4 door '92 Camry.

So I got to the fire and the boys had it out and were washing it down just to be on the safe side.

Total loss of course. A buddy has a ramp truck so I gave him $25 to bring it to my daughter's house this morning. It's the only car we have that's financed so therefore it's the only one with comprehensive and collision. She only owes $1300 on it. I'm curious to see how she gets treated by the insurance company. Yes it's a 2000 but the thing was a pristine Florida car, no rust, tight as a duck's butt, and basically mint.

We'll see. I'm girding my loins.

304725_444405715600310_265093796_n.jpg

396793_444406332266915_1645339679_n.jpg

Yep, looks like "toast" to me (sorry). Had a similar experience way back when. On my way to work one winter morning and my car (57 Chevy in about mid '65) suddenly catches fire. Well, I've got my guitar and amp from the previous night's gig in the trunk (yeah, I know), but it's like "Ruh Row". I pull the car over, get my gear out of the trunk and run about 40 yards down the road with both.

Needless to say, car was a goner, guitar and amp were okay!

Sorry to hear that ksdaddy. Hope everything works out alright with the insurance company

A fellow Supra fan? Supras rule!

I'm a big fan of cars that you can modify, which is why i bought a Scion FRS.

First thing the insurance adjuster will do is separate YOU from you Daughter to negotiate the deal. That's how predators work, separate the young and naive from the older and wiser. My daughter was hit by another gal who side swiped her when she failed to stay in her lane in a 2 lane turn. Totally the other gal's fault. Her insurance company was due to come over and I said I'd stay home from work that day. My wife said she had it covered.

First thing they did was to refuse to talk about it with my wife around. It was a mini van, drivable with only the passenger side caved. My daughter got beat up pretty bad. They offered her the value of the loan pay out, 2 more payments, about $400. The van was worth 10 times that. They signed the deal, he gave her a check. Having earlier taken the keys to 'inspect' the damage the adjuster left the kitchen with said keys. My daughter said she needed her keys back because she had to go to work. "Oh, no, you signed the van over to us in the settlement papers I have in my brief case. We "totaled" it. I have a guy coming to tow it away...... But....... for $100.00, I'll sell it back to you." [cursing]

Yup, I failed my daughter that day. [blush]

Be a good Dad, call in sick to work.

I wonder if there are any service bulletins on that year and model?

My son had a car burn up once. Some numb-nut installed a quick disconnect with a big wing nut sticking up above the positive post. It contacted, then welded itself to the underside of the hood. When all was said and done, it looked about like your daughter's car.

The 'bump' could have caused several things to start this fire, and from the sound of it it could be a wiring issue if the radio faltered. Another cause of car fires after a 'bump' is leaking brake fluid if it gets on a hot surface. Up it goes.

The most important thing right now is that your daughter is safe. Did the fire department investigate to find the source of the fire?

Bob

The appraiser went to look at it yesterday and this morning his wife called to verify the mileage, which displayed digitally and obviously wasn't visible!

My policy states we can get up to $20/day for a rental car. No point in pursuing that because rentals cost more than that and it's not worth the spread. So I let her use my Camry and I was driving my '82 Ford pickup, which has been on borrowed time forever. I found out on Monday that because my homeowners policy is bundled with my car policy I am entitled to $50/day for rental up to $3000. When I talked to the insurance rep on Tuesday I asked, "I'm letting her use my car, can we collect 'something' per day in lieu of the $50/day car rental?" His reply was a flat NO... so I called the car rental place and set up a rental. They won't rent a car to HER because she's under 25 but they'll rent a car to ME. I cleared all this with the insurance company. Kim is using my car and the insurance company is paying the $50 rental fee for me to ride around in a Taurus. Pretty stupid I think. They could have agreed to pay me a token amount, $10 or $15 a day, but no, can't do THAT, so now they're paying out $50/day.

And now the suspense of what they offer us for that car. I'm sure I won't be accepting their first offer because that's not how the game is played. I'm not trying to rook the insurance company but I just want them to be fair. Kelly Blue Book says $3400 trade in / $4750 retail, NADA says $4200 trade in / $6200 retail. About the time they offer us $1400 I'm going to go postal.

Never done this before, nothing to compare it to. Girding my loins.

Guest rogerb

A couple days ago my oldest daughter called me and said her car radio went out momentarily when she went over a bump. Friday she said it stalled altogether after hitting a bump. I said I'd look into it; sounded like a bad connection somewhere, maybe in the fuse box... WHO KNOWS....

Last night the phone rang and rang and rang until I go up and answered it. "Dad, my car is on fire! I called the fire department but it's right near so and so's house and omigod what if it catches fire and the flmes are shooting out everywhere and WHAT DO I DO?"

Not a hell of a lot TO do except wait for the fire dept I guess. She had taken a friend home after work and when they pulled in the driveway she saw smoke and they go out... just in time to see flames erupting.

So I jumped in MY Camry and headed there. As I got into town I met a town cop who turned around and followed me all the way across town BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO. Apparently I didn't "weave" nor did my taillight "flicker" nor did I drive 25.00001 MPH so he gave up the surveillance. I was livid about that. Friggin' stupid rookie small town cops need to follow a car across town just because it's 12:45 AM... God knows I could be up to no good in my 4 door '92 Camry.

So I got to the fire and the boys had it out and were washing it down just to be on the safe side.

Total loss of course. A buddy has a ramp truck so I gave him $25 to bring it to my daughter's house this morning. It's the only car we have that's financed so therefore it's the only one with comprehensive and collision. She only owes $1300 on it. I'm curious to see how she gets treated by the insurance company. Yes it's a 2000 but the thing was a pristine Florida car, no rust, tight as a duck's butt, and basically mint.

We'll see. I'm girding my loins.

304725_444405715600310_265093796_n.jpg

396793_444406332266915_1645339679_n.jpg

You've heard it before but it's worth repeating "Material things can be replaced" Glad your daughter is safe!

So now they tell me are going to come get the carcass on Monday. I'm paranoid about this. I haven't signed anything so the car is still in our name. I van picture them telling me if we don't accept their offer I will be charged storage fees and what not. I'm not comfortable letting them haul it away until it's all signed off. What do you think? Paranoid or cautious?

They probably want to have there own independent mechanic go over it to see what cause the fire. Was it cause in the electrical or was it something else?

I would suggest finding out where they are taking and you be there man when they do this

I had a 94 villager that burned to a crisp back in april of 2006. I remember rushing to get my martin and my harmonicas out of it before the smoke signals started. I will try to find a picture...

I was very upset because i had just filled up the gas tank too

Archived