Gibson Brands Forums

Never mind. It's a Norlin. Good story though...

ModalMood

Edit: Never mind. It's a Norlin. I didn't realize Norlins went back to 68. This is a 69. My son got it on "lend" from a cousin on the other side of the family. It had been sitting under his bed for 35 years.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0520-1.jpg

And here are a couple of shot of him playing it at Oklahoma Ollie's legendary blues jam at The Living Room in South L.A. the other night:

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norlin began part way through '69.

Its value is more if it doesn't have a "Made in USA" stamp or the volute on the back of the neck.

Nonetheless, that's a great find and if it's not going to be sold whether it has the volute/stamp or not is a moot point.

Now here is the dilemma, does he tell his cousin what the guitar is worth or try to keep it for himself...

Ha ha. I think he knows. But notice I put the word "lend" in quotes. We used to call it a "permanent lend." This a permanent lend. He's already had it for five years. It won't be sold but it ain't going back either. [thumbup]

Incidentally, it has a six digit serial number beginning with 8.

Ha ha. I think he knows. But notice I put the word "lend" in quotes. We used to call it a "permanent lend." This a permanent lend. He's already had it for five years. It won't be sold but it ain't going back either. [thumbup]

Incidentally, it has a six digit serial number beginning with 8.

Yeah but does his cousin know what the guitar is worth? Could be a real good reason for some family feuding... Just sayin'....

The 69 in the link posted here is a 2nd, the one you have in your possession is worth more...

Hold on here....Time out...Stop the presses!

An "asking price" (as in the link above, with 0 bids), has absolutely NOTHING to do with the value of a guitar, it only reflects the hopes and dreams of the seller.

The "value" of any guitar is determined by selling price, not asking price. There are also a couple others listed for sale on e-bay at $6K and $8K that have no bids.

Nice Custom.

Looks like he's having a blast, too!

Although everyone talks about the Norlin era as if it was like the arrival of the Plague (and there WERE to be some real dogs being made later on) things didn't change for the worse overnight.

Even when the cost-cutting and bad practices started to bite in earnest the guys and girls in the Parsons St. plant tried their very best to maintain the highest standards possible.

Although Ted McCarty left the company in '66 these earliest Norlins were made pretty much according to the same standards (pun) he had put into practice.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a late-60s/early '70s Custom regardless of the 'percieved stigma' attached to them by those who know no better.

Just my $0.02.

P.

JACK POT...!!!

Yep, exactly right. That is one sweet guitar. I was lucky enough to own the same thing back in the 80s until some punk a$$ p.o.s decided to break in and take it from me. I lost alot of equipment in that break in but that guitar is the only item I remember. I loved it.

Probly worth around 10 grand, maybe more. I would never have sold mine. I loved it and knew I had something special but I had no idea how they would increase in value. I paid $450 for it, and included a crappy amp.

Hold on here....Time out...Stop the presses!

An "asking price" (as in the link above, with 0 bids), has absolutely NOTHING to do with the value of a guitar, it only reflects the hopes and dreams of the seller.

The "value" of any guitar is determined by selling price, not asking price. There are also a couple others listed for sale on e-bay at $6K and $8K that have no bids.

You are so right Larry, but it seems to me that that guitar would be worth 15 or 16k maybe more maybe less... A few years back it would have been worth more... Even at 6 or 8k it's a valuable guitar that will continue to go up in value...

Archived