Gibson Brands Forums

Signature Guitars

Hairy Dave

I think I would want a ReverendChas signature.[biggrin] It would be a Southern Jumbo with advanced hide glue

adi. bracing and top. A batwing pick guard. It would have the modern standard neck. Isa.45:22 would be in scriptedon the 12th fret and some special inlay on the peg head. There wouldalso be a Sitka top option.

All joking aside, signature models do not float my boat. Though,I would like to play one of the new SherylCrow Southern Jumbo sometime.

chasAK

Okay, I'll play....... [biggrin]

Two Bob Dylan models: A non-banner script logo J-50, red spruce top, light bracing hide glue..... yummy; and a natural-finish Nick Lucas

Tom Petty J-200

Keef Hummingbird -- sure thing. Two versions, one natural and one in the obligatory Cherryburst.

And a Fred J-185. I'll endorse it. [laugh]

Fred

I'd like to see a Johnny Cash J200. He had two of them (a gold burst and a red burst) and one got stolen. I've read that the stolen one (with a red sunburst) was the one he used on the original recording of "I Walk the Line." It's the guitar that people used to mistake for a snare drum on the recording, but Cash didn't have a drummer then and he was muting the strings to get the effect of a snare drum. You don't get a good view of the guitar until the end when he stops singing, but this does look more reddish than golden. Well, to be honest, maybe it is more golden ...lol...

I'd also like to see a run of Dylan's J50.

Interesting mix there guys :)

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Dylan or Cash signature yet. I'm unsure about signatures to be honest. Nothing against them other than they seem to come with bigger price tags!

Haha, you're absolutely right. the name keeper gets paid too

Interesting mix there guys :)

I'm surprised we haven't seen a Dylan or Cash signature yet. I'm unsure about signatures to be honest. Nothing against them other than they seem to come with bigger price tags!

the non pickup version of the JB model is 3.8 k I think ...as least for me that is a decent price

JC

I'd like to see a Johnny Cash J200. He had two of them (a gold burst and a red burst) and one got stolen. I've read that the stolen one (with a red sunburst) was the one he used on the original recording of "I Walk the Line." It's the guitar that people used to mistake for a snare drum on the recording, but Cash didn't have a drummer then and he was muting the strings to get the effect of a snare drum. You don't get a good view of the guitar until the end when he stops singing, but this does look more reddish than golden. Well, to be honest, maybe it is more golden ...lol...

I'd also like to see a run of Dylan's J50.

Larry do you know anything about the gold one ?

would be cool to see it =D

JC

A Jorma 1956 (I think) J-50. But not the typical Gibson "RI" meaning just having the proper cosmetics. I am talking one with period accurate top bracing and the whole enchilada.

+1 - although some idiot who worked for Gibson a few years ago destroyed any chance of a Jorma Sig.

IIRC, the J-50 is a 59.

Another option is the sig Jorma actually started with Gibson about 6 years ago - it was to be a copy of his early 90s John Walker built J-35, with the same Bella Voce inlays that is on Jorma's guitar. That guitar was actually sent to Gibson to have bracing, etc. duplicated.

the non pickup version of the JB model is 3.8 k I think ...as least for me that is a decent price

JC

Hi JC, I'm not sayin they're not good value. I'm prob more jealous I can't afford em haha. The JB appears to be a fantastic guitar.

Juan, I think the gold one is still around. I keep thinking I've read that Marty Stuart has it, which kind of makes sense because Cash gave Stuart several of his guitars and Stuart has a huge collection of Country Music items from the past....I was just looking through some of my info and it looks like he had three J200s and John Carter Cash said one was sold after his dad's death.. The missing one is still missing. BTW, this looks like the gold one. Kind of tough to tell in black & white. All this info I have I got from The Johnny Cash Forum. Cash's daughter, Kathy, and his long time friend, Bill Miller, are frequent visitors and freely answer whatever questions they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqjD8uzBUhA

A Jorma 1956 (I think) J-50. But not the typical Gibson "RI" meaning just having the proper cosmetics. I am talking one with period accurate top bracing and the whole enchilada.

By 1956, we're talking non-scalloped top braces, wider and lower back braces, etc. These are the guitars that were built to the specs shown in the Collins J-45 plans available from stewmac and others. It would be interesting to compare the tone of a new one built to these mid-50's specs to a new J-45/50 built on the earlier top and back bracing patterns. I suspect they would be fairly similar, based on my own experience.

Of course, any guitar Jorma plays is going to sound pretty good. That guy is one of the greatest fingerpickers, ever.

How come?

Somebody had to prove he was the boss by killing the project, upsetting Jorma more than a little. I'm not sure the relationship is irreparably broken -- in fact, I have an idea how Gibson Acoustic could get back on Jorma's good side -- but it would take some work on Gibson's part to fix it.

-- Bob R

If I had a wish involving signature model guitars, then I'd wish that sig models had never been thought up in the first place.

I once found a truly special sounding Martin 000-18. I really liked it and it was at one of my all-time favorite stores where great deals were to be had without any haggling required. Unfortunately it was a Woody Guthrie signature model, and even though we share the same last name, I just flat out don't care for someone else's "signature" on what would be my guitar. So I passed on it, just as I do with every signature model I've ever seen. But then that's just me.

For what it's worth, I don't consider something like a Les Paul to be a signature model, at least not in the sense of the marketing-driven examples that are primarily being discussed here. If a person played a significant role in the design and development of a unique instrument, then I don't have any problem with their name being associated with it. If Gibson had decided to create a Ren Ferguson model based on the man's design and development work that resulted in something fairly original and unique, then I'd have no problem with such a guitar.

Bottom line: the signature existing on the guitars I own that I get the most excited by is simply "Gibson".

For what it's worth, I don't consider something like a Les Paul to be a signature model.

If Gibson had decided to create a Ren Ferguson model based on the man's design and development work that resulted in something fairly original and unique, then I'd have no problem with such a guitar.

Bottom line: the signature existing on the guitars I own that I get the most excited by is simply "Gibson".

+1 from me Guth. I wonder if Gibson ever did develop a Ren Ferguson what would he have them make?

Archived